Make Frontier ships & features into OXP

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Make Frontier ships & features into OXP

Post by Selezen »

Frontier (3200, poss. available in Oolite era 3147ish):
Hawk Airfighter, Lifter, Panther Clipper, Puma Clipper, Lion, Osprey Attack Fighter, Tiger Trader

FFE (3250, not available in 3200 therefore not available in Oolite era)
Gyr, Harrier, Harris Fighter, Osprey X, Imperial Explorer, Lanner, Lanner 2, Mantis, Skeet, Spar, Tiercel, Turner Class, Wyvern.

Note that there's nothing stopping you putting anything you want in Oolite... ;-)
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

OneoftheLost wrote:
Now, as for those ships, honestly, I don't see the draw at all. Alot of the ships you are citing, where hand-tailored for newtonian combat. I.e. Braben needed more tiny fighters, and added those. Alot of those ships are incredibly fast, and designed for strafing runs. Doesn't sound like too much fun in Oolite to me.
I'm a fan of as many different types of ship as possible. There's quite a bit of variety in my universe! It makes life interesting, not knowing what you're going to meet each trip. I think I've downloaded almost all the different ship oxps on the wiki at one time or another. A lot of them still exist; some of them, however, have been removed due to bugs which I can't be bothered to fix, balance issues, or mess with my frame-rate too much.

Not that I would want to fly them, though - I'm happy with my Caddy. But it is nice to see something new every now and then. I just need to stop shooting them down before I get to see them up close...
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

So, any ideas about this part:
About crew: I think crew for itself is a bad idea. But then we could make fun crew that interacts with you in a way - it could be based on the Crew Soundset or something, but I though rather of adding a variety to the displayed (and spoken) messages... so that they don't get repetitive...
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I just remembered - Frontier had different laser types color-coded. Would it be possible in Oolite?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You can give each laser its own colour. In vanilla Oolite normal ships have red lasers and police have purple lasers. OXPs bring much more colour.

You can define a colour for each laser in the ship's (or subentity's) shipdata, using the laser_color-key.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I know.
So I thought, maybe an OXP would be possible, that colors all the beam lasers orange and military ones yellow... For all core ships, at least.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Not only is that possible, but would be very easy to do. One problem is that Military lasers are not used on NPC ships in the core game, only Pulse and Beam, so you'd only get two colours anyway.
This was an idea I'd considered for TG2, but as everything gets Mil lasers at Armageddon level they'd still all be the same colour, and at Anarchy and Apocalypse levels, many ships have mil at the front and Beam at the back, and you can only set one colour per ship, so that wasn't going to work either. In the end I just went for a variety of colours based on the type of ship.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Smivs wrote:
Not only is that possible, but would be very easy to do. One problem is that Military lasers are not used on NPC ships in the core game, only Pulse and Beam, so you'd only get two colours anyway.
This was an idea I'd considered for TG2, but as everything gets Mil lasers at Armageddon level they'd still all be the same colour, and at Anarchy and Apocalypse levels, many ships have mil at the front and Beam at the back, and you can only set one colour per ship, so that wasn't going to work either. In the end I just went for a variety of colours based on the type of ship.
There's a variety of colors in TG2? Say more, maybe I'll throw it in... (now that I'm flying a Vortex, thanks to money multiplying bug)

And yeah, I'd love such an OXP, so if you say it's easy to make... (unfortunately, I can't script and I don't have the time to learn... studying, you know)
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

They did that in ArcElite too - Pulse lasers were red, Beam yellow, and Military were white. I can't remember what colour Mining were. Vipers' lasers were either purple or blue...

'Twas something I was surprised about when I first started Oolite, but if you install enough ship-sets, you'll find that some other ships have different colour lasers. For example, my Caddy has green lasers!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
my Caddy has green lasers!
As does Rolling Thunder (by my own tweak). Griff's Krait and ToughGuys2 make good use of different laser colours.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Other ships I've seen that have coloured lasers: The Tiger, a bunch of Killer Wolf's ships, Renegade pirates (multiple lasers of different colours), and ships such as the Basilisk and Hydra (though I can't remember which mission oxp they're in). Course, some of these are NPC, but it still makes for a colourful ooniverse!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
They did that in ArcElite too - Pulse lasers were red, Beam yellow, and Military were white. I can't remember what colour Mining were. Vipers' lasers were either purple or blue...

'Twas something I was surprised about when I first started Oolite, but if you install enough ship-sets, you'll find that some other ships have different colour lasers. For example, my Caddy has green lasers!
So maybe do it in ArcElite coloring...
I mean, I want to be able to tell what laser it is by its color.
-----------
But as different colors on the whole are fun, I might try TG2 soon!

EDIT: Vortex has purple lasers.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zireael wrote:
Why? Isn't it enough to tell what laser it is by how fast it kills you? :mrgreen: You'll sure notice the difference between pulse, beam, and military by their efficiency alone.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Commander McLane wrote:
Zireael wrote:
Why? Isn't it enough to tell what laser it is by how fast it kills you? :mrgreen: You'll sure notice the difference between pulse, beam, and military by their efficiency alone.
\

Isn't it better to be forewarned? :mrgreen: :wink:
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I always wanted to add the rest of the Frontier/FFE ships, i think i still have a few early beta versions of some of them lying around that i made for Oolite I think the Lifter I made was pretty much complete, One day I'll return to making OXP's and if no one else has done 'em I will :P