Make Frontier ships & features into OXP

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Zireael wrote:
pagroove wrote:
Indeed and it's getting better by the minute :)
Still I love Oolite for its gameplay. But Pioneer is great for planet exploring

Yeah, but Pioneer/Frontier has Newtonian physics. I could stomach the rest, but not alpha stage and not those.
I hate newtonian only for fighting. But you can really try this alpha versions. You would like it. It's really beautiful. See this topic also

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=8415

And see the http://www.spacesimcental.com forums also.

But yeah crews are on my wishlist also.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I asked about crews. So that's another thing that could be done in Oolite.

Am I missing any more differences between Frontier/Elite? (I've never played either of the originals, am too young :D )
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Sorry for double post.

Here's a small summary of what I already know.

Not possible to do and not wanted to do:
Newtonian Physics
New Star Charts

Possible:
The rest of the ships: Gyr, Harrier, Harris Fighter, Hawk Airfighter, Imperial Explorer, Lanner & Lanner 2, Lifter, Lion, Mantis, Osprey Attack Fighter, Osprey X, Panther Clipper, Puma Clipper, Skeet, Spar, Tiercel, Tiger Trader, Turner Class, Wyvern.
Multiple planets in a system
Crews
Missions

Already done:
Landing on a planet
Orbits
The following ships (excluding those that are built into Oolite): Asp Explorer, Merlin, all the Eagles, Long Range Cruiser, Lynx Bulk Carrier, Kestrel, Falcon, Imperial Courier, Imperial Trader

TAF (is already built-in into Oolite)

--------------------------------------
Anything I'm missing?
Last edited by Zireael on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Zireael wrote:
Asp Explorer, Transporter
Asp Explorer is FE2/FFE's version of Asp mk II (which was already present in ELITE and is one of Oolite core ships, even if in Oolite it is upside down and has its width/length reversed). And at least two different OXP ships with the name "Asp Explorer" do exist.

Transporter is also ELITE/Oolite core ship, though I'm not sure if player versions exist.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

AAAARGH!! Broken timelines all over the place!!

I started doing a Long Range Cruiser (the big ship from the Frontier intro) but had some issues with poly counts so stopped. Typical me.

Ooh, an LRC would look MEGA with shaders and stuff...
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Selezen wrote:
I don't think it's broken.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Frontier takes place some hundred years before Elite. I see no reason for the ships and technology to suddenly be forgotten...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zireael wrote:
Selezen wrote:
I don't think it's broken.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Frontier takes place some hundred years before Elite. I see no reason for the ships and technology to suddenly be forgotten...
Yes, you are wrong. Frontier was released as a sequel to Elite, which by definition means that it takes place after Elite. To be precise, two generations after Elite. The main character in Frontier, if I understand correctly, is the grandson of the main character in Elite.

Frontier begins in the year 3200. Selezen has in his timeline, the main purpuse of which is to somehow establish a sensible continuity between the two games which—as I said before—don't actually have such a lot in common, placed Elite in the year 3125, and Oolite somewhere in-between, but much closer to Elite, namely in the year 3141.

Which means that brandnew technology from Frontier is still about 60 years away at the time of Oolite.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

To stir the pot more:
ELITE Manual wrote:
The brief guide given here is just an indication of the range of ship-types plying the trade and space lanes. The illustrations show top, side and front views of each craft. Dimension data provide the scale. For a fuller account see Jane's Galactic Ships and Remote Colonial Construction, 5th Edition, 3205 pub. Trantor House.
The quote is from the (in)famous Observer's Guide to Ships in Service of Commodore 64 ELITE manual. Same Observer's Guide states the Inservice Date of Mamba (newest ship of the lot) to be 3110 AD (Cobra mk III & Fer-De-Lance 3100 AD).
Actually, these dates are present here (http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/manual.htm#A47) too.

Still FE 2 starts year 3200 and FFE starts year 3250.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Ah. Right, I must have misread something.

Anyway, since it seems we don't have a good Frontier remake, I thought it would be nice to have its features in Oolite.
But with the timelines, the point is moot.

I would close the thread, but maybe someone has a similar idea.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

There are a great many threads all over this forum about putting elements of Frontier in Oolite.

In response I'll paraphrase those other topics. Oolite is a remake/homage to ELITE. NOT FRONTIER.

If you want to play Frontier with pretty graphics, go take a look at Pioneer.

That said, there's nothing "broken" about ships from Frontier being in Oolite, since the two timeframes are close enough together to allow Frontier ships to be seen and used (or stolen) in the Oolite universe.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Make Frontier ships & features into OXP

Post by Zireael »

So what about those ships:
Gyr, Harrier, Harris Fighter, Hawk Airfighter, Imperial Explorer, Lanner & Lanner 2, Lifter, Lion, Mantis, Osprey Attack Fighter, Osprey X, Panther Clipper, Puma Clipper, Skeet, Spar, Tiercel, Tiger Trader, Turner Class, Wyvern.
? And the crews?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I think somebody did another imperial ship, but I'm not sure whether it's the Explorer. (Ah, no, it's the Imperial Trader.)

The others sound unfamiliar to me, so it's possible that nobody has created them for Oolite so far.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Its not really necessary.

Let me explain. First, since you seem to have such an interest in the Frontier titles. Might I suggest you try the originals in Windows? (if that is your OS anyhow.) http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/ This is an EXCELLENT site for doing so. With the latest JJmods, you will have feature complete versions of both FE2 and FFE. Also, FFE has an option in the menu for Elite style flying, but I've never tried it.

Now, as for those ships, honestly, I don't see the draw at all. Alot of the ships you are citing, where hand-tailored for newtonian combat. I.e. Braben needed more tiny fighters, and added those. Alot of those ships are incredibly fast, and designed for strafing runs. Doesn't sound like too much fun in Oolite to me.

I DO like your ideas for crew, but... I mean.. what for? In FE2 and FFE, they where just to operate your ship, wasn't interaction or anything. They really didn't serve a purpose beyond manning your ship, and tbh, I really don't see why we should penalize users of bigger ships. From a fun-gameplay perspective, I can't see what crew would add to the experience. Isn't FUN what Oolite is all about? :)
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oh yes, I forgot about the crew part. Some people have at least begun to work on something. Have a look at this thread:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7261
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

OneoftheLost wrote:
Its not really necessary.

Let me explain. First, since you seem to have such an interest in the Frontier titles. Might I suggest you try the originals in Windows? (if that is your OS anyhow.) http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/ This is an EXCELLENT site for doing so. With the latest JJmods, you will have feature complete versions of both FE2 and FFE. Also, FFE has an option in the menu for Elite style flying, but I've never tried it.

Now, as for those ships, honestly, I don't see the draw at all. Alot of the ships you are citing, where hand-tailored for newtonian combat. I.e. Braben needed more tiny fighters, and added those. Alot of those ships are incredibly fast, and designed for strafing runs. Doesn't sound like too much fun in Oolite to me.

I DO like your ideas for crew, but... I mean.. what for? In FE2 and FFE, they where just to operate your ship, wasn't interaction or anything. They really didn't serve a purpose beyond manning your ship, and tbh, I really don't see why we should penalize users of bigger ships. From a fun-gameplay perspective, I can't see what crew would add to the experience. Isn't FUN what Oolite is all about? :)
I tried FFE. Less fun than Oolite. A hassle to get to work. Bad looking. EOT.

About ships: Maybe you're right, but still, it would be nice to have them instead of iffy uber ships/Cobra clones people tend to make for Oolite.

About crew: I think crew for itself is a bad idea. But then we could make fun crew that interacts with you in a way - it could be based on the Crew Soundset or something, but I though rather of adding a variety to the displayed (and spoken) messages... so that they don't get repetitive...