I made myself a hud

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Post by lave »

OK I have made 4 huds now, each with a different coloured indicator on it for each condition.
When you are docked then the light is off and it says Docked.

The only other thing I want to do is add some cockpit window framing.
Not too much though because I don't want to obstruct the view too much.

However I will have to experiment with this because I am playing at a screen res of 1366 x 768 so it will have to fit properly to look good.

At least then, when docked at a station, the cockpit window framing can be turned off so that it don't get in the way of any onscreen writing.
It will only appear whilst in flight.

I have work now so I will do this later tonight and upload a few screen shots.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

lave wrote:

The only other thing I want to do is add some cockpit window framing.
Not too much though because I don't want to obstruct the view too much.

However I will have to experiment with this because I am playing at a screen res of 1366 x 768 so it will have to fit properly to look good.
Don't forget if you are going to release this that people will have a variety of screen sizes, so to tailor it to one size may not be wise. :?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Cockpit framing will not look nice, unless it is represented by a 3D model as part of the ship itself. If you just put up a picture of a cockpit as part of the HUD it will simply break the immersion, because the framing will not be lit from different angles as the ship moves. It will look like a sticker on the screen.

This is my personal opinion of course, you are the creator of this beauty and at the end it's your decision. I'd download this HUD either way. ;-)
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

Yeah understood.
The cockpit framing would be for myself only, if it looks good, due to different screen sizes.
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

OK forget the cockpit frame. I forgot that it will still be seen on the F screens whilst in flight.
It would interfere with the text too much plus it is slightly translucent too so don't look right in flight.

Anyway, here are the 4 huds. Each one displays correctly depending on your condition.

Docked.

Green.

Yellow.

Red.

If anyone can suggest any suggestions to improve the hud then I am all ears.

Once it is done it can then go on the Wiki for download.
One last thing, this probably wouldn't work on a low screen res, but then, does anyone actually use a low screen res anymore?

Thanks.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Looking good. Just one thing...how will overheating lasers show up on the 'Condition Red' Hud with that red background?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

Smivs wrote:
Looking good. Just one thing...how will overheating lasers show up on the 'Condition Red' Hud with that red background?
Already checked that.
The red Hud is much darker than the red that the game uses, so there is no problem seeing an overheated laser bar.

The same is true for the scanner too.
As you can see there was an attacking ship very close to me and you can see the red dot on the scanner.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

lave wrote:
OK forget the cockpit frame. I forgot that it will still be seen on the F screens whilst in flight.
It would interfere with the text too much plus it is slightly translucent too so don't look right in flight.

Anyway, here are the 4 huds. Each one displays correctly depending on your condition.

Docked.

Green.

Yellow.

Red.

If anyone can suggest any suggestions to improve the hud then I am all ears.

One last thing, this probably wouldn't work on a low screen res, but then, does anyone actually use a low screen res anymore?

Thanks.
Hm when your dealing with hostiles (and hostiles come up as red) then maybe turning the background to read may not be the best solution. If you have a spare moment I've been looking to upgrade medusa and I have a few ideas they might be worth kicking around. On a purely philosophical level of course.
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

ClymAngus wrote:
Hm when your dealing with hostiles (and hostiles come up as red) then maybe turning the background to read may not be the best solution. If you have a spare moment I've been looking to upgrade medusa and I have a few ideas they might be worth kicking around. On a purely philosophical level of course.
Well on my PC the red lollypops on the scanner show up clearly, but I do get your point.
I can easilly change the red hud back to normal.

I am all ears regarding your ideas.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

lave wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Well on my PC the red lollypops on the scanner show up clearly, but I do get your point.
I can easily change the red hud back to normal.

I am all ears regarding your ideas.
Well firstly it important to understand that I'm not saying anything is wrong with your hud. It's simply another way of doing it. To a certain extent we're all chasing the perfect hud but as players are diverse I seriously doubt we'll ever get to a killer app.

That said I think it would be interesting given the new tec of hud switching how you could bring the important information to the pilot during specific event situations. Sure it might be green, yellow and red. But there are other flags a hud could pick up on and morph into depending on what the pilot needed at that exact second.

It's kind of like backward engineering when "this" = yes then what is the pilot focused on, can we improve that and yet keep him aware of everything else to avoid tunnel vision?

How else might the data be represented? Are we restricted to bars? Can we amalgamate? Etc etc etc.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

ClymAngus wrote:
That said I think it would be interesting, given the new tec of hud switching, how you could bring the important information to the pilot during specific event situations. Sure it might be green, yellow and red. But there are other flags a hud could pick up on and morph into depending on what the pilot needed at that exact second.
Well this is wher my skills end lol.
No doute there are other 'flags' that could be incorporated into a hud but I have no idea what they are.
I didn't even know that hud images could be changed depending on condition until AC gave me the script details.

By all means I'd love to see more detailed info on the hud like what type of ships are in the area, how many are hostile, type of ship, ect...

But then the hud is rather wide as it is. More info would mean a bigger hud.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

lave wrote:
Oh yes, please. :)
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

snork wrote:
lave wrote:
Oh yes, please. :)
Hi.

If you PM me your email address I will zip this up and send it to you to try out.

Remember that this is best used on large screen resolutions.

Thanks.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I made myself a hud

Post by Zireael »

Is this HUD done? It looks really nice...
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Re: I made myself a hud

Post by lave »

Zireael wrote:
Is this HUD done? It looks really nice...
I actually don't use that HUD now because I made a modified version of the fighter HUD here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95#p126695
I did send the HUD above to snork (see above).

If you contact him maybe he will send it to you if you want it.

The new cockpit HUD I made only works for a large screen res (see link) and it works in the same way that the HUD above does.