Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Favourite ship.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

I wonder, is the series set in one system? its got to be some big system, 'nearly 100 little earth's teraformed moons, and assorted space stations' from watching the series, they do have some type of fuel injector system, and a faster than light drive both seen in the first episode, the faster than light drive when they 'mooned' the alliance vessel, and the fuel injectors when escaping from the reavers.

'ain't going anywhere near reavers, those folk ain't human'

as you can probably tell I love the series. love oolite too

anyways Great board. I love it.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I was completing Thargoid Plans whilst listening to this last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8omJvCrwRdY

And am about to go flying about listening to the Firefly soundtrack...
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

nice I guess I could sync that to my mp3 player. and do the same
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Namttep wrote:
I wonder, is the series set in one system? its got to be some big system, 'nearly 100 little earth's teraformed moons, and assorted space stations' from watching the series, they do have some type of fuel injector system, and a faster than light drive both seen in the first episode, the faster than light drive when they 'mooned' the alliance vessel, and the fuel injectors when escaping from the reavers.

'ain't going anywhere near reavers, those folk ain't human'

as you can probably tell I love the series. love oolite too

anyways Great board. I love it.
Yup, the Firefly/Serenity series is set in a unique system - scores of worlds and moons within a habitable band - a lot of it's covered here: http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/FireflyUniverse

But, Joss likes his shows to be a bit fluffy on the background, so make of this what you will!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Namttep wrote:
Yes, Firefly is indeed set in one system (the Persephone system if I remember correctly) with many many planets. It was kind of like a new home to humanity in the stars, since it was so resource rich and had more inhabitable planets than you could shake a stick at.

Brilliant series. And Ian Bell's personal vote for "closest thing to Elite he knows about". ;-)
L0CI
Average
Average

Re: Favourite ship.

Post by L0CI »

Traded in the Cobra III today for a Terrapin. Ok so the name doesn't sound very threatening but it flies well!
uua90
Competent
Competent

Post by uua90 »

First off, a note about making ship maneuverability more "realistic"-- Oolite's physics engine is not even close to realistic! If we wanted to upgrade to, say, a realistic Newtonian engine with orbital mechanics, the number of things which influence how a ship maneuvers is incalculable. Gravity-gradient torque, location of RCS thrusters, distance from the sphere of influence, orbital velocity... the list goes on.

If you want a feel for realistic orbital physics, check out Orbiter for MS Windows. It took me two months to get the most unrealistic ship into orbit around Earth. Re-entry wasn't so simple...

At any rate, I'm a fan of the trader/bounty hunter combos. OXP successors to the Cobra III are wonderful! However, I'm more a trader than a fighter, so I'm happy with ships such as the Boa and Python. With a full monty of weapon, of course.

I will admit to hacking my save files and giving myself enough credits to buy the ship I want at the start of a game... But once I'm in the seat of that Python, I play an honest game. :D
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

I think starting off on a ship like the python is not so much cheating as role-play. It is one of the classic vessels.
And you could stipulate that you were a rich planet-based businessman who spent his life-saving to buy a ship.

The whole premise of the Elite game built around getting a free Cobra anyway - :D
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

uua90 wrote:
First off, a note about making ship maneuverability more "realistic"-- Oolite's physics engine is not even close to realistic! If we wanted to upgrade to, say, a realistic Newtonian engine with orbital mechanics, the number of things which influence how a ship maneuvers is incalculable. Gravity-gradient torque, location of RCS thrusters, distance from the sphere of influence, orbital velocity... the list goes on.
It's not about "realism" as in "as it were in RealLife™". What we are talking about is "realism" within Oolite's physics engine. Which boils down to comparability. If a ship is behaving drastically different from a comparable set of already existing ships, there has to be a justification for that (and if there can be no convincing justification given, we're officially in 'über' territory).
Jar
Competent
Competent

Post by Jar »

curtsibling wrote:
I think starting off on a ship like the python is not so much cheating as role-play.
The whole premise of the Elite game built around getting a free Cobra anyway - :D
It might be a nice option to be able to start a new game with other ships. A pick a ship to play with menu option.
Jar
Have fuel scoop will travel.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Jar wrote:
curtsibling wrote:
I think starting off on a ship like the python is not so much cheating as role-play.
It might be a nice option to be able to start a new game with other ships. A pick a ship to play with menu option.
Or you could just edit your save game - zero effort put on the developers who are trying to have a feature freeze and effectively the same end result for the user.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

My mod has a Cobra 1 and Adder (2 saves for it actually) as starting ships at Lave.
The broke Adder one will be very hard for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
I lucked up and found a rock hermit near the planet on the way to the sun. Shot up all the asteroids there and was then "rich" enough to afford to move minerals from there to the planet's main station. Less than an hour after start I already had ~70 credits, which was enough to get me started doing regular trading.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Jar wrote:

You sort of can do this anyway....just sell the Cobra Mk III straight away. You'll be able to afford a Mk I or Adder, and have some useful cash left over.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

It would be quite nice to have an automatic savegame generator thing, to let you start in systems other than Lave and to be able to set one's initial balance and ship with automated balancing of prices.
Jar
Competent
Competent

Post by Jar »

I loved Elite on my C64 and I now love Oolite on my Linux box. I hacked the C64 Elite to fix the gun sight and make it better. I can make Oolite play just about any way I want. Being able to alter the game saves and OXP's is not a skill that most 'computer users' will have. The number of users far exceeds the people who take the time to learn things at a more intimate level. IMO it would help Oolite if it had some kind of difficulty setting for the 'users' in the menu like most other games have. One way to implement this would be with choosing a ship at the start. A ship for users who want 'easy' and a cobra for normal and something special for 'difficult.' (sort of like Privateer, a game I never liked much) This would enrich and enhance the whole game for a group of people not like me. Those use are just users. Those who just use their computers as I use my coffee pot. I've never dug into my coffee pot and tweaked it. This is all just my opinion. I'll play Oolite with out it and be happy.
Jar
Have fuel scoop will travel.