Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Favourite ship.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

inigopete wrote:
...that said, I have no problem believing that the Cobras could roll that quickly - a wide lightweight ship will have its thrusters or retro-rockets (or whatever is used in the Ooniverse) at its "wingtips", so they'll have more leverage when fired because they're a greater distance from the ship's centre of gravity.
On the other hand, the Boa and the Cobra having the same pitch doesn't make much sense any way I've been able to think of. Ah well, probably falls under that "Don't let reality interfere with gameplay" principle. LOL
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

inigopete wrote:
For instance a long ship will not be able to pitch as fast as a short ship, and a wide ship can't roll as fast as a narrow ship.

...that said, I have no problem believing that the Cobras could roll that quickly - a wide lightweight ship will have its thrusters or retro-rockets (or whatever is used in the Ooniverse) at its "wingtips", so they'll have more leverage when fired because they're a greater distance from the ship's centre of gravity.

Perhaps this only makes sense in my head, or in hand-wavey sort of explanations!
Hi inigopete, and welcome to the boards! :D Well, you have been on the boards for over a year now, but it is always nice to see a "passive" membership become active. So, welcome on the occasion of your first post! :wink:
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Ganelon wrote:
On the other hand, the Boa and the Cobra having the same pitch doesn't make much sense any way I've been able to think of.
I'd think that would mean the Boa "pays big" for all the pitch/roll thrusters, or for much larger/powerful models...the Cobra 3 gets them almost "for free" for being a much smaller design.
SpitJock
Average
Average

Post by SpitJock »

I guess, if we're going to post-rationalise ship performance, then there's more to it than just the size of the vessel and the location/power output of it's maneuvering thrusters. It's also very largely dependent on the structural strength of the hull and internal construction. Pitch, roll and yaw will all create torsion stress effects in the hull and and any internal bracing, as well as the mount-points for internal large structures. So a small light ship might legitimately be far less maneuverable than a big heavy one because the manufacturer spent less on the design and materials used to build it...

That's why the guy in the big Mercedes delivery van can beat me in my little Ford Ka through the bends...

That said - 's only a game dudes :D I just have fun with it. Currently running a self-modded version of PlanetFall that means I get a lot of mines on moons, for the cheap precious goods of the shop.... I'll turn it back to normal when I've made enough (just feels slightly better than 'awarding' myself with a pile of cash by editing my save)

**edited 21st November 2010**
I switched off that little 'tweak' to PlanetFall. I've installed a few more OXPs that open up far more options for making money at a reasonable rate... Hope no-one is too badly offended.
** edit ends**

Lovin' the game, btw. Managed to 'off' three pirates so far in my Cobra MkIII, even though I'm such a poor shot I couldn't hit the exit portal of a Tionislan Hyper-Barn....
<insert Random Pithy Comment>
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

I like my Dragon An, seems a decent upgrade from the cobra mk III, possibly when I have enough credits I'll go for a Super Cobra
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

Went to a Cobra clipper Sar for a while

I found it horrible, sold my Dragon AN for that, Rode it for a couple of missions, decided it wasn't my cup of tea, Now Back to A dragon - this time to a Dragon M, Less cargo space than an AN, But 12 missile slots and automatic plasma turrets..... I like it a lot for Still trying to get credits together for an imperial courier or super cobra, or maybe something else.

but for now the Dragon M, I may check the Dragon se out in a while.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Favourite Ship(s)

Post by onno256 »

Hey everybody,

Currently my main savegame has a Caduceus Omega (fairly complete).
Although it is an Ubership, it still doesn't mean I win each fight, I've still got to pick my battles. Possibly because of all the OXP's I've installed.

I've also started a new savegame to try out some other ships. One of them has got the STE, which is a nifty little number of itself, a nice step up from the cobby.

I'm also getting the hang of all the javascript (through tinkering).
Maybe soon it will be time to start coding myself....

Love this game and the community!

Onno out
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

lol changed again, though really by mistake,

was checking the ships market and hit enter mistakenly, I like the tiger for right now, plenty of cargo space and fast, pretty good in combat, though the energy banks seem to deplete more rapidly than in the dragon

6 misiles is fair, though i'd trade 5 or 10 tons of cargospace to double that capacity, maybe a military option for the Tiger would be possible???? the Tiger MkII-M.

thought my first Hydra lastnight, not a pretty sight the battle was over before it really began, - Press space commander - before I could even think to hit the energy bomb.
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

Commander McLane wrote:
there are only Thargoid ships flown by Thargoids, or destroyed Thargoid ships, but never has a Thargoid crew surrendered their ship. So where would any GalCop pilot get a Thargoid ship from???)
From the salvage vessel I sold them to, maybe! Quirium-mine a Carrier and it will dump out Thargoid Invaders with a missing or dead crew, usually two, sometimes three, at high speed. They're hard to spot and take some catching as they're ejected at high speed, but if you can catch up with them and let off a salvage missile (and defend them all the way to the salvage ship) they fetch a pretty penny. I've been trying for ages to get the double but so far always lose at least one to pirates.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

tonyhippy wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
there are only Thargoid ships flown by Thargoids, or destroyed Thargoid ships, but never has a Thargoid crew surrendered their ship. So where would any GalCop pilot get a Thargoid ship from???)
From the salvage vessel I sold them to, maybe! Quirium-mine a Carrier and it will dump out Thargoid Invaders with a missing or dead crew, usually two, sometimes three, at high speed.
That sounds like a bug, although I don't know right now how this could come about. (Buggy role definition of the Invaders???)
Rafe
Poor
Poor

Post by Rafe »

First of all thanks for a great game that has allowed me to finally complete the the constrictor mission which I never managed on my old 8bit MSX machine as I wore out the integrated keyboard in 1989 :shock:

Been having fun with the OXP's too and am now the proud owner of a Boa II clipper in that oh so nice black and red livery. I'm currently looking for a Morrigan with a naval energy unit as I haven't done the second mission yet after a witch drive malfuntion that rather nicely dumped me in galactic chart 4 :?

For now I'm enjoying the game and have griffs normalmaps skins downloading atm :)

Read a few of the stories from Wade which I am most impressed with as it really fills out the Oolite universe in a most entertaining way though I must confess to being a complete nerd when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy literature :oops:

As for a favourite ship idk right now as I just haven't had the chance to try many in the OXP's due to lack of credits, maybe I should just go rob a Coriolis station :twisted:
Exploring the big black with a bottle of Leestian Evil Juice and a bag of Arcturan Megaweed.........
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Rafe… welcome to the ‘friendliest forum this side of Riedquat’.™

That’s got to be a record for the longest time spent waiting to do the Constrictor mission… right on, commander!

Enjoy!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Rafe,
and Welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat.
Glad you are enjoying this excellent and addictive game.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

In a slightly safer universe it would be awesome to see some fireflies plying the trade routes

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't coming back, Burn the earth and boil the seas, you can't take the skies from me!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

It has been discussed - there was even an early stage model of a Serenity like vessel floating around - with a cargo capacity based on how many head of cattle you could get in the main hold...

I too would love to see a Firefly like vessel - but of course - such vessels don't actually have a witchspace type drive fitted...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here