Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Favourite ship.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Still playing the ‘iron man’ game, eh Cheyd… I ain’t quite up for that, at least not in an Adder. I do like to take Rolling Thunder out for what I call a ‘serious cruise’ occasionly… pick a destination system right across the chart, and attempt to reach it without saving (and I don’t mean by staying clear of the spacelanes and skimming). It can be quite a meandering course, as I tend to loiter near stations and ‘hitch’ a free wormhole ride quite a lot (I love having a full tank). If I get killed, it’s back to the jump-off point, and maybe a couple of hours of gametime lost… but if I make it, I get great satisfaction from it. It tends to concentrate the mind on survival, and you don’t take those extra risks you might normally take. You learn when to run, and you learn when to eject.

What was this thread about? Oh yes, favourite ship... the Cobra Mk III of course.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
The Adder!

Seriously, it's what I'm flying most often now. 2 TC Cargo space (5 with LCB), 1 Missile launcher, and slightly faster than a sloth on meth. Start at Lave with 0.0 Cr, 0.0 Fuel, and go from there. Oh, and if you die, you delete the character and start over at the above.
In my add-on, I have a savegame Adder with no fuel, no credits, no missile, AND no heat shielding (so you can't use sell equipment OXP to "get ahead").

As for Cmd. Cheyd's game scenario...after dying a couple times you'll want to delete the character and start over with a HUGE and POWERFUL ship, like a Cobra 3. :lol: Seriously, getting enough cash from popping asteroids in the Lave system (hint: look between sun and planet) will grow old fast -- because ANY pirate that comes along will likely kill you quickly. Even without delete-if-you-die, you pull off starting from that Adder and getting a Cobra 3...you've done something immense! If you're really lucky, you might find a Rock Hermit to help you out. But if you're really unlucky, you find a Pirate Cove that looks just like it. To make money at even a lackluster-slow rate, you simply MUST buy and sell Gold, Platinum, and Gem-Stones...since they don't tie up whole TC space unless you have >499 kg of Gold or Platinum. Selling 100 kg Platinum may show 8k credits (at 80 cr/kg), but there's probably only 5cr/kg profit...or 500 credits real profit NOT counting all the hyperspace jumps + time to accumulate that much.

Currently, my "Tales of the Broke Adder" has logged 50 hyperspace jumps and has ~20k credits and is semi-decently equipped. No shield booster, but I have a military laser. Leading causes of death tend to be space station ramming due to how twitchy over-maneuverable the Adder is plus brief game lag. I generally avoid the space lanes AND deep space pirates -- there's a gap between the 2...so my few kills (about 20) came from "kill-stealing" other friendly ships, the occasional Thargoid (since no missile risk), and ironically ramming-and-surviving. It'd be impossible to survive most combats without fuel injectors in a slow Adder once the front and ONLY laser overheats.

I'm still a ways away from being able to afford a Cobra 1...and wonder if I shouldn't just "tough it out" by saving longer and getting a Cobra 3 instead.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Currently flying a Bushmaster Miner. (player version) of the Oldships 2010 (my own OXP).

Mining laser in rear, Full mining gear (Ore processor)
Military Laser in front.

Saving up for a Cobbie MK3. After I downgraded I lost much money. It was the time of the first versions of Realistic Shipyards. Maybe I've done something wrong. Anyway the ship career till now has been:

- Cobra MK1
- Starseeker personal Shuttle (loverd this little ship) although it has only one missle slot it was quite maneuverable and had a decent cargo at 15 ton.
- And now the Bushmaster (20 ton) 2 missile slots.
So nothing uber but I managed to kill some far better (on paper) with it. Like a dominatrix. Still in that case I had to use hardheads and a lot of continues firing with the mil laser.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

My personal favourite is Military Stingray.
Right now, due to a bug I described elsewhere, I'm flying Python Class Cruiser. Saving up for a Morrigan, later the Vector.

BTW Say, if I loaded four of Vortex's bays with illegal stuff and changed to the fifth before launching from a GalCop station, would I be an offender? Would the cops notice what I've got in four others?
Last edited by Zireael on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If you mean a Vortex rather than a Vector, the answer is no. The Vortex does not carry such tell-tale hardware, as it's a military vessel at heart.

The civilian offshoot of the technology (HyperCargo) does have such though...
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Zireael wrote:
Right now, due to a bug I described elsewhere, I'm flying Python Class Cruiser.
Main game bug or OXP bug? I can't seem to find what you're mentioning here. :(
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Switeck wrote:
Zireael wrote:
Right now, due to a bug I described elsewhere, I'm flying Python Class Cruiser.
Main game bug or OXP bug? I can't seem to find what you're mentioning here. :(
OXP bug, described in the Werewolf and keys thread by me, last post by me.
(I can't give you the link 'cause the forum won't let me).

EDIT: Is it possible to fly Thargoid Warship without having the RS installed? Or was it added as a possibility for ELITE rating by this mod?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Here it is:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=8710
In short, Werewolf hud can't handle Shift+F framerate display.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zireael wrote:
EDIT: Is it possible to fly Thargoid Warship without having the RS installed? Or was it added as a possibility for ELITE rating by this mod?
No. And I would consider it a bug rather than a possibility. Everything we know about the Thargoids makes it obvious that you can't fly any of their ships. (For instance they are "inevitably fighting to death", which means that there are only Thargoid ships flown by Thargoids, or destroyed Thargoid ships, but never has a Thargoid crew surrendered their ship. So where would any GalCop pilot get a Thargoid ship from???)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Dunno why anyone would want to pilot a Thargon...or how they would squeeze into one. :lol:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

and you have to believe the ship controls are designed for insectile multi-limbed creatures, so humans probable couldn't handle them anyway.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Shippies!

Post by onno256 »

Hi everybody!

Even though I loved the original Elite to death, I've been stuffing Oolite with OXP's, including missions ships and features. I don't mind the pirates occasionally getting powerfull ships, since you can't win each fight, sometimes you gotta run...

I've flown a few ships, since I usually iron-ass my current ship, save up, and buy a better one...

I've flown;
- Cobra MKIII
- Python (to earn some cash fast)
- Python ET special
- Caduceus Alpha (currently saving up for the Omega, and next? Who knows)

Oolite is the only game I still play, and you know what? A bit off imbalance keeps you on your toes!

Onno out.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Shippies!

Post by Kaks »

onno256 wrote:
I don't mind the pirates occasionally getting powerfull ships, since you can't win each fight, sometimes you gotta run...
Amen to that! Personally I don't think I should even try to always win fights. I do like the feeling that every battle depends on my wits more than having some seriously powerful ship... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Commander McLane wrote:
Zireael wrote:
No. And I would consider it a bug rather than a possibility. Everything we know about the Thargoids makes it obvious that you can't fly any of their ships. (For instance they are "inevitably fighting to death", which means that there are only Thargoid ships flown by Thargoids, or destroyed Thargoid ships, but never has a Thargoid crew surrendered their ship. So where would any GalCop pilot get a Thargoid ship from???)
Well, the Thargoid Warship was listed in the list included with the Realistic Shipyards and in some others. So I don't think it a bug.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

There's an OXP out there that allows you to fly a strut too! To me that's a bit of a bug, but it's a big Ooniverse, full of strange - possibly strut-flying - people.
The oxp is illicit unlock, in case you're wondering!

Anyway, RS did exploit a few - hmm, let's just call them loopholes, in order to give players more choices than the developers had anticipated.

Some things attempted in that OXP - like offering Thargoid lasers for sale - did lead to immediate crashes, some others - like offering MASCs - don't seem to be too crashy...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)