Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Favourite ship.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

sunlover72
Above Average
Above Average

Favourite ship.

Post by sunlover72 »

Just wondering which ship is your guys ride of choice?.

A huge trader? a multirole ship? or do you prefer a purebred fighter like the asp?.

For me... on the origonal elite i always wanted a fer de lance! but they arent very good on here. Ive flown the MK3, porcupine, cobra commodore and python so far on oolite... but im back to my trusty MK3 now. It really is my fave and seems perfectly balanced for cargo / ability.
Jon Ridgway
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jon Ridgway »

Save up and buy a Vortex!
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Doing passenger runs around Chart 2 in a Python kitted out with all the goodies.

It's an adequate ship to occasionally come to the rescue of any stricken trader, but I really miss the top speed of the original Cobra III.

Got my eye on a Boa CC...looks like it has a nice mix of speed and cargo capacity.

But to be honest, I'd really like to get my hands on something with the speed of a Cobra III, but with a bit more cargo space.

Hmm...really should look up some more ship OXPs.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It's the Boa Clipper for me.
With speed and maneouvreability similar to the Cobra Mk3, Eight energy banks and all options available, and 150 TC cargo capacity, it really is all things to all men/yellow furry lobsters etc.
It fits my lifestyle as a Trader/Bounty Hunter perfectly. No plans to change it.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
sunlover72
Above Average
Above Average

Post by sunlover72 »

Bugbear1973 wrote:
Doing passenger runs around Chart 2 in a Python kitted out with all the goodies.

It's an adequate ship to occasionally come to the rescue of any stricken trader, but I really miss the top speed of the original Cobra III.

Got my eye on a Boa CC...looks like it has a nice mix of speed and cargo capacity.

But to be honest, I'd really like to get my hands on something with the speed of a Cobra III, but with a bit more cargo space.

Hmm...really should look up some more ship OXPs.
I am really wary of the OXP ships, though i did install z-ships because the balance seemed perfect.

I have visions of souped up pirates in them, and unbalancing mission oxps?.

But, now ive got all the kit, must admit it would be nice to have a ship 'to aim for'

Has anyone used the standard ASP MK2 as a fighter? how did you find it if so?

EDIT just looked at the clipper, gonna download it ...looks just what im after ;)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

sunlover72 wrote:

I am really wary of the OXP ships, though i did install z-ships because the balance seemed perfect.

I have visions of souped up pirates in them, and unbalancing mission oxps?.

But, now ive got all the kit, must admit it would be nice to have a ship 'to aim for'
Souped-up pirates can be Fun...don't get too close to any Rogue Frigates if you have Galactic Navy! :D , and not all OXP ships are available to Pirates anyway. Most OXP authors are pretty sensible and try to keep their work balanced.
sunlover72 wrote:
Has anyone used the standard ASP MK2 as a fighter? how did you find it if so?

It's an excellent fighter, very fast and nimble. It's main drawback is the absence of any cargo space. When I needed lots of screenshots for the first version of Smivs'Shipset, I used an Asp as my 'Camera Ship', and it was perfect for the task. It's every bit as good with lasers as cameras too. :lol:
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Smivs wrote:
With speed and maneouvreability similar to the Cobra Mk3, Eight energy banks and all options available, and 150 TC cargo capacity, it really is all things to all men/yellow furry lobsters etc.
It fits my lifestyle as a Trader/Bounty Hunter perfectly. No plans to change it.
Which, to me, makes it a horribly broken ship. How can you vastly improve cargo & energy without taking any compromises?
Might as well make a ship able to carry 1000TC, 20 energy banks, 20 missile banks, and a speed of 5 LM. Oh, and better make it smaller than a Mamba while we're at it - don't want to offer a big profile after all.
*shakes head*

Each to their own I guess.

Cobra Mk3 for me, with appropriate shipdata & shipyard overrides to slow it down a bit to more closely match the original Elite specs. Alternatively a lot of other ships need to be sped up a bit.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Micha wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Which, to me, makes it a horribly broken ship. How can you vastly improve cargo & energy without taking any compromises?
RTFM :) It's a Boa Class Cruiser with a SMALLER cargo hold to make room for the extra engine. No other changes to the standard Boa CC spec (maneouvreability, energy banks etc) very deliberately to avoid imbalance.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Smivs wrote:
Micha wrote:
Smivs wrote:
RTFM :) It's a Boa Class Cruiser with a SMALLER cargo hold to make room for the extra engine. No other changes to the standard Boa CC spec (maneouvreability, energy banks etc) very deliberately to avoid imbalance.
Oh yes. Boa Class Cruiser aka Boa 2 is the one ship of the core set that shouldn't be there - it certainly wasn't in C64 ELITE...

And I agree with Micha on Cobra Mk 3, I slowed all standard player MK 3:s to 0.32 LM in my installation, core and OXP alike, to keep Oolite feeling more like ELITE+++^n+1 and to justify all those Cobby variants (Courier, Rapier, Commodore).
One might ask, why not to original 0.30 LM ? My answer is that because almost all OXPs have been designed with 0.35 LM capable Cobra Mk 3 in mind, 0.30 would be too slow to feel comfortable (gotta give the player a slight edge ;)).
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I feel guilty flying a ship with the maneuverability of a Cobra MKIII, the speed of a Viper Interceptor, and the cargo capacity of an anaconda, but I suppose without delving into the world of cheaty OXPs the Boa Class Cruiser is the closest I'm going to get.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I don't know why so many people seem to have a problem with the Boa 2 (Class Cruiser). OK, so maybe it wasn't in the C64 version of Elite, but it's a logical improvement on the Boa, and unless we consider the Ooniverse to have NO technological advances, why not.After all, the Cobra3 is vastly superior to the Mk1 in all respects as you'd expect.
Indeed even the Cobra 3 is seriously flawed...look at its Roll performance. There's no way a ship that wide could roll that fast! It's twice as wide as a Mk1 yet has the same roll figure.
And we all know about the Anaconda and its 'virtual hold'.
The fact is all the ships are a bit nuts one way or another, but as that's been covered elsewhere ad nauseum I'll stop here.
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

Cobra Mk III of course :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

My favourite ship is the one I'm flying for ages now: the Imperial Courier (from the OXP of the same name). I had a Super Cobra before, but find the IC superior.

As I don't like plasma turrets on player ships, I haven't considered flying anything more "modern".
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

The Adder!

Seriously, it's what I'm flying most often now. 2 TC Cargo space (5 with LCB), 1 Missile launcher, and slightly faster than a sloth on meth. Start at Lave with 0.0 Cr, 0.0 Fuel, and go from there. Oh, and if you die, you delete the character and start over at the above.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
The Adder!

Seriously, it's what I'm flying most often now. 2 TC Cargo space (5 with LCB), 1 Missile launcher, and slightly faster than a sloth on meth. Start at Lave with 0.0 Cr, 0.0 Fuel, and go from there. Oh, and if you die, you delete the character and start over at the above.
You fly a ship with only two TC, with no money, very little in the way of defensive weaponry. This is lunacy, this is madness.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qR0Uke2XNI