Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Combat

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I had a stick in the days of BBC Elite, but nearly all the time I played Elite Plus on PC (which was lots of time), I had to use the keyboard because of a stick bug in the game, and I took three commanders to the highest level (Archangel). As McLane says, the keyboard can be extremely precise, once you get used to it. However, I do prefer a stick.

Returning to the subject of finding certain types of system, the nicely sortable Galaxies spreadsheet is also very useful.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

I have a Thrustmaster 16000M and I like facing enemy, then target it, slow down (sometimes to zero) and fire! I have only 1 MW Pulse Laser (memories baaack from C64 times!!!) and when enemy make run, I set my speed higher and chase him. Often (especially Eagles) when they are hit more times and are seriously damaged, they run away from me (it looks like they jump hyperspace:D) and I can continue my flying :)
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

sunlover72 wrote:
Ill take a look at the joystick thanks guys.

With respect to the comment about getting military shields...

i found a system selling them, but it only shows as available if i switch my ship!!. I was curious so traded in for a python and presto, military shields are there

so i take it the cobra commodore cant take military shields?. That might make it worth switching back to my old MK3 if that takes them?

Thanks
Oops!

There's a typo in the shipyard.plist of Z-ships OXP - it's because of that typo that Cobra Commodore can't get Mil Shields, even if it really should.

Fixed shipyard.plist here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jouniku/RTstuff/Z- ... ipyard.zip
(unpack the .zip & replace the shipyard.plist in ..\Oolite\AddOns\Z-ships_v1.0.oxp\Config -folder with its content).

Even then, the rusty versions may not be able to get all equipment...
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Ganelon wrote:
I have a few different joysticks. A Saitek Cyborg is probably the best, and I like it.. But for games like Oolite, I prefer my old beat up Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro that I got for 2 or 3 bucks at a second-hand store. If Microsoft ever built one thing good, that joystick would probably be it. It's old but I'm comfortable enough with it that it's worth having an extra soundcard with a gameport even if it was just to use that stick. Although having a second soundcard is worthwhile enough on it's own if you like having full game sound and full music capability at once. Probably not a practical idea on a laptop to double up on souncards though.
Got to second that review. I've still got mine from 10+ years ago. A great piece of kit (as opposed to most other Microsoft products which are pieces of s**t). Pity it doesn't plug into any of the ports in the back of my laptop.

Nowadays, I'm using an old 5 year old laptop that I scavenged from work (yay 7-10 fps in the heat of battle). It's only got a single usb slot so it's full screen + mouse control for me...
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Bugbear1973 wrote:
A great piece of kit (as opposed to most other Microsoft products which are pieces of s**t).
As usual, I would beg to differ. MS products are rarely PoS's (notable exceptions made for Microsoft Bob, NT4 SP1...) and their hardware has historically been exceptional. So, please, let's keep the OS zealotry and fashionable anti-MS bigotry out of the forums.

Use the right product for the right job: be it Mac, Microsoft, linux, BSD, or Bill & Ted's Excellent Operating System.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Maybe so, but the MS Sidewinder Precision Pro is rather in a class of it's own. Digital-optical instead of pots, 10 switch, 4 axis, self calibration that actually works.. and it was one of the first sticks that was USB capable (if you can find the adapter my used one didn't come with). From back in the Win95/98 era??? More than exceptional.

Like any company, MS has it's real gems and real dogs. MS gear, in my experience usually works best on MS OS machines. But this one runs fine on Ubuntu.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
sunlover72
Above Average
Above Average

Post by sunlover72 »

wow zieman , i wish microsoft did support like this ;)

On an aside, just wanted to say i loved the ships offered by your expansion. Ive been VERY careful with ships i install because i didnt want anything to be uber. These were perfectly balanced i think.

You wont know how many hours i spent agonising between getting a porcupine straight away or saving for a python instead while trading ;)
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
So, please, let's keep the OS zealotry and fashionable anti-MS bigotry out of the forums.
Apologies for hitting a nerve there. I'm not about to launch into an OS war, and to be perfectly honest, Microsoft has made me A LOT of money in my RL job as a Sys Admin in a company that runs primarily Microsoft software.

I concede that if it wasn't them copping all the flack, it would simply be someone else. They just don't do themselves any favours when a product is released 'half baked'.

I'll go back to my corner on this issue and say no more about it. :D
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

Zieman wrote:
Fixed shipyard.plist here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/jouniku/RTstuff/Z- ... ipyard.zip
(unpack the .zip & replace the shipyard.plist in ..\Oolite\AddOns\Z-ships_v1.0.oxp\Config -folder with its content).
When I click this link I get a message "Forbidden" :shock:
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

OSH wrote:
Zieman wrote:
When I click this link I get a message "Forbidden" :shock:
Ooff, uploaded the file there around 2 AM and forgot to set permissions right. :oops:
Now it should be available.

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

sunlover72 wrote:
wow zieman , i wish microsoft did support like this ;)

On an aside, just wanted to say i loved the ships offered by your expansion. Ive been VERY careful with ships i install because i didnt want anything to be uber. These were perfectly balanced i think.

You wont know how many hours i spent agonising between getting a porcupine straight away or saving for a python instead while trading ;)
Thanks for the feedback!

Glad to hear that I succeeded in my primary aim: balancing the ships with the core Oolite shipset. :)

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Anyone remember the "Bug"? Wonder how that'd work for Oolite. :)

Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

Thanks Zieman :)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

@Darkbee -What the hell is that thing? :P
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
@Darkbee -What the hell is that thing? :P
There is still one piece for sale.