Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Fatleaf wrote:
So begins the hunt of Commander Mclane.... :wink:
....the horrid frog..... :mrgreen:
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Location: Teorge in Chart One, Average Agricultural, Democracy.

This is not a tale of daring do or feats of combat prowess. Quite the contrary. I was en-route to this boring planet which just happened to be another stop on my voyage of discovery when attacked by a lone Python. In a second I decided to be kind-hearted to this fool of a pirate. Besides my cargo hold was full which is unusual for me but necessary only under the circumstances presented. In other words, a planet such as this would offer little in the way of plundering pirate treasure. Back to the Python: I ripped into it with my forward laser but stopped short of the death blow. With lumbering movements she turned tail, throwing sparks. In that instant I decided to let her limp away, keeping a vigil from my aft view. As she vanished from my scanner I wished her commander well.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

A noble gesture.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Just a minute ago, I jumped into some system in G3. I had just accepted the Thargoid plans mission, and thanks to my newly-downloaded Fuel Tank OXP, I was prepared for any Thargoid ambush, assuming the Bugs would try to attack me, but due to limited information on this mission, I wasn't sure. They did indeed. And on third attack, a funny coincidence mingled with a little imagination suddenly turned into a kinda funny story.

The Takina Class prototype Kriemhilda exited a witchspace wormhole and entered system space. Commander Ryan Hoots prepared to set a course for the system's sun, when the lead ship of a small convoy hailed him, saying, "You didn't really think it would be that easy to evade the Traken Gang?" With that the ships opened fire.
Lo and behold, three Thargoid warships chose that time to exit witchspace. :twisted: Commander Ryan Hoots fled the scene, and presumably the bugs either took out the "Traken Gang" or else Hoots may yet again run into trouble thanks to the Random Hits OXP... :wink:
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

I was out testing some kind of new fuel thingy and I was getting attacked from all sides. What I really needed was a gun that didn't overheat! I couldn't find one... I found three :twisted:

Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

That is one beautiful alien-looking beast! :shock:

Just to mention, the exhausts are awesome - it's a pity one almost never has the time to properly appreciate the detail on the ships before blowing them up... :?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I love 1.76:

Just had a good laugh. I was traveling along the space lane together with a King Cobra (OXP ship).

The King Cobra was just flying in front of me and I saw that it fired a missile on a ship that had just appeared on the edge of the scanner. I decided to take no action but then the ship on the edge of the scanner locked onto me. Time to lock on. The Scanner Targeting Enhanchement showed a fugitive Cobra MK3 that had fired on the Clean King Cobra MKVI that I had traveled with. I fired a jida missile at it and it hit. Then 2 flashes of military laser where enough to dismantle the ship :twisted:

I saw the escape capsule launch which I scooped (after I jettisoned 1 ton computers). When docking at the station I got the following message:

''You captured a slave hunter. Because you don't like slave hunters you decide to sell him as a slave for 45CR on the open market"

:D :D :D These sort of twists make Oolite brilliant!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

pagroove wrote:
I fired a jida missile at it and it hit.
Whats one of those then?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

JazHaz wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I fired a jida missile at it and it hit.
Whats one of those then?
Its a missile included in the King Cobra OXP. But you can buy them for 40 credits.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
That is one beautiful alien-looking beast! :shock:

Just to mention, the exhausts are awesome - it's a pity one almost never has the time to properly appreciate the detail on the ships before blowing them up... :?
Why thank you, your very welcome. :)
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Despite all the escape pods I have rescued, (must be hundreds) I have never seen this before:

"You don't like slave-hunters and decide to sell the captured slave-hunter as slave on the market for 97 credits."

8)

Edit: Only just seen this:
pagroove wrote:
I love 1.76: ''You captured a slave hunter. Because you don't like slave hunters you decide to sell him as a slave for 45CR on the open market"

:D :D :D These sort of twists make Oolite brilliant!
WHS :wink:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
I love 1.76: ''You captured a slave hunter. Because you don't like slave hunters you decide to sell him as a slave for 45CR on the open market"
SandJ wrote:
These sort of twists make Oolite brilliant!
Agreed... but shouldn't that be 'slave-runner'?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I though it said 'slave hunter'. But you could be right.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I sure have a long ways to go yet.. I'm a taxi in two birth cobra III nowdays having exploited most of the milk runs.. I tend do platinum and gold trading. I added Ironhide and Armoury to my fast growing Expansions, having taken advantage of some of the cool visuals already.. I guess the more cargo room , the better player of the markets i will become.. So whats favoutite? I'm thinking a Python which will take me up to 100 tonnes of cargo.

Also fellow truckers.. I figure to buy platinum below 70 and sell above it Gold 40... Now its already good business sense for noobs like me to turn a dollar or two like this eit seems cargo by the kg don't do squat to the available tonnage... My only false economy would be to sell my platinum and Gold cheaper than i brought it , in order to buy more.. oolite seems not to let me add to existing stock in my hold.. but no bother.. I do still turn a buck with a good few kgs of platinum..

Anyhow, i figured it was time to shell out on the gratitude a little. So to the developers. Thank you.. an Old game too good to die was re born. And to the developers of the following add ons , that i run.. Thank you;
accessories V2.0
Armoury1.09
DeepspaceShip
Diso
griff for missile/shipset and rock hermit
Ironhide 2.00
MilHud 4k
Military fuel injectors 1.00
Missiles and Bombs v 2.5
Povray planets v0.20
Submersible_Nebulae
Target Autolock Plus 1.12
Tori2.01

Now i have not used some of the other dockables and planetary landings and Black Monk, cargo compression OXPs et al as yet because I don't really know whether a noobs experience of the game might get too complicated... So I look to you guys to advise me as you have already on the OXPs that augment Oolites experience. In the interim, i will keep ferrying my two passengers and trading in the precious until I can get my hands on a shiny new Python.. Presumably the Anaconda is the big Goal ..

All the best Duggan :)(Rating Harmless ,Kills 5, thanks to target autolock and field missiles ).
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Just continue transporting passengers, you make yourself a name, and richer people may ask your service.

Before you buy a Python, save the game so you can go back if you do not like it - it is slow and sluggish. Others can cope well with flying a Python - I can't.

Two oxps I really like a lot are Cargo_wrecks_teasers and Pods . they add variety to cargopods, so they are effective mainly if you shoot up other ships and scoop the remains. Then it is a game of "lucky-bag" what it will be you scoop - some nice things, some not so nice surprises, and sometimes just hilarious. 8)

Also YAH plus all the YAH-sets A-F bring fun, and you just have to admire the wealth of ideas in it, and some designs are up to par with best pro ad designs. They contain also a Griff construction, a really :shock: -looking station.
Though I personally removed the stations from YAH, as they tend to alter the game somewhat towards "easy money"* and I do not want that.

* I would have linked the appropriate youtube video, but it seems they have only live performances or covers performed by the video-uploaders themselves. :(