Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

HMMMMMM.... you have quite the story there Zrg. But I am in your six and your tale sounds suspiciously lifted from Calliope and the misadventures of Captain Hesperus and his infamous Dubious Profit. But all in all, not a bad yarn.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
HMMMMMM.... you have quite the story there Zrg. But I am in your six and your tale sounds suspiciously lifted from Calliope and the misadventures of Captain Hesperus and his infamous Dubious Profit. But all in all, not a bad yarn.
Imitation is, allegedly, the sincerest form of flattery...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Does it? Which bit? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of flattery, ;) but Zrg's tale sounds like his own invention to me ...
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

As mentioned in another topic, I am the proud owner of a brand-new Cobra Mk3 with a texture designed using Smivs' Make Your Own Cobra Mk3 set that comes with his shipset. But I had to work hard to get it.

Day One:
It started as a standard Oolite day for me. I traded goods between planets, aspiring towards a better ship, the Cobra Mk3 that was waiting for me in my shipyard, thanks to an OXP I wrote in October so I could see my goal.
I started to wonder about how long it would take to get one. Thanks to some simple math, I calculated that it would take about 108 runs (not figuring in fuel costs) from a Rich Industrial to a Poor Agricultural if I traded in Computers. Even though I knew I could get that without too much trouble, I was motivated by a book I'm reading, called "Do Hard Things", by Alex & Brett Harris, to do my 100% best to get the ship as soon as I could. Not an easy task.
So, I bought a passenger berth. I spent the rest of the day playing Oolite and and taking people from planet to planet across the galaxy. Later in the day, I found a planet called "Teen" in the top section of Chart One. I made it my temporary headquarters, as it wasn't to far from the highest tech level planet in the chart. I spent the rest of the day in passenger contracts.

Day Two:
After getting about 9-10 hours of sleep, and something to eat, I booted my laptop to continue. I was less than 10k from my goal. After a while of contracts, I got to 3k from my goal.
I started to trade between Malama and Qudira, which was quite dangerous. :twisted: Those King Cobras... :evil:
After a while I had the money. I bought my Cobra Mk3, which I named Taylor Miller, after an old friend, at Zaatxe. A standard customer model, with an escape pod. Pulse laser on the forward mount, and 400 credits to spare.
To celebrate, I jumped to Tianve, which was 3.6 LYs away. All that commercial junk near the witchpoint was very annoying. I made it to the pulsar eventually, though. Once there, I got a comm message from some gal calling herself Rebeca Weston. She said I should behave myself. I replied that I didn't have the means to do so, which was the truth. :cry:
I docked with the monitoring station, but got fined for docking without permission. I had forgot I had the docking protocols enabled! :o I was so used to autodock... :x
Anyway, I bought a dashboard sticker and went on my way. At the station, I had to wait for a King Cobra to dock, and then docked myself. I was going to press F2, but pressed F1 instead! :shock: I docked again, thankfully I had clearance. I then saved my game more carefully. :roll:

Taylor Miller on her maiden voyage:

Taylor Miller headed for the pulsar:
Zrg Zkx
Poor
Poor

Re: Tales from the spacelanes ... How I cam eto the Oonivers

Post by Zrg Zkx »

Guess again, Yah-Ta-Hey. Disembodied was also not quite on the right track. And as for flattery, DaddyHoggy, no, I don't think so. ;-) But I'm sure y'all will guess where I am from if I mention Wolf359? Korell, does that ring a bell? But these are tales for another day.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

RyanHoots wrote:

I docked with the monitoring station, but got fined for docking without permission. I had forgot I had the docking protocols enabled! :o I was so used to autodock... :x
Anyway, I bought a dashboard sticker and went on my way. At the station, I had to wait for a King Cobra to dock, and then docked myself. I was going to press F2, but pressed F1 instead! :shock: I docked again, thankfully I had clearance. I then saved my game more carefully. :roll:
Docking protocols!!

I love to leap frog docking ships on my way in. Sharpens flight control.

What the... Is that the front end of a Python Laun....

"Press Space"
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Does it? Which bit? Don't get me wrong
Not to worry... no hostility here... just an observation on the similarities....

In the story, Captain Hesperus and the dubious profit is recruited to carry cargo to a planet in a disputed location
He gets there to meet up with "freedom fighters"
the cargo is not what he thought it was but combat droids/eatable poets.
He ends up meeting the other side while the cargo is being activated
he gets screwed over his payment and has to leave before he is blown up....

do you mean these parts?
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Back out on patrol… and running clean for a change. Needing one more kill for my thirtieth ROC, I pulled out of Edxexe bound for Leonrala… and points beyond. As I boosted away from the station, a fugitive in a Fer de Lance came aegis-raiding and locked-on to me… my eyes lit up, and I brought Rolling Thunder about to engage. The poor fool didn’t last too long, and I had my kill… but then all hell broke loose. What had at first appeared to be two incoming convoys became a whole bunch of aegis-raiders… and I seemed to be their primary target. I had a quick count, decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and hyperspaced on out before I started taking more serious hits… you learn when to run in my trade, and I ran gratefully into the blue cloud…

… to Leonrala. Before I could even hit the torus, they started pouring out of my wormhole. Thirteen bandits, I think the count was, all after me again… I had very little chance of survival, but I fought hard. My cloak was damaged as were the injectors and Rolling Thunder took one helluva slappin’… and finally expired just as I reached for the eject. C’est la vie!

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

El Viejo wrote:
The poor fool didn’t last too long, and I had my kill…
If only I had a dime for ever time a poor fool attacked me in the 'lanes. I'd probably be able to buy myself a new computer.
El Viejo wrote:
I had a quick count, decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and hyperspaced on out before I started taking more serious hits…
That also has happens to me a lot. I'm doing the Ionics mission in G2, and those weapon platforms sure are a pain. :roll:
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Tales from the spacelanes ... How I cam eto the Oonivers

Post by Poro »

Zrg Zkx wrote:
Guess again, Yah-Ta-Hey. Disembodied was also not quite on the right track. And as for flattery, DaddyHoggy, no, I don't think so. ;-) But I'm sure y'all will guess where I am from if I mention Wolf359? Korell, does that ring a bell? But these are tales for another day.
Hmm, seeing "Wolf359" on an Oolite forum puts me in mind of Sung (of the texture pack). On the other hand "Wolf359" together with "Korell" calls Escape Velcoity: Nova to mind.

Close?
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

As I entered a system in gal 5, I was metup with a new recruit who told me to watch my six... there as a "greeting party" searching for me. Thanked the young man and continued on my way... several encounters of thargoids had depleted my stores so I checked in at a high level worked and stocked up on missiles, fuel and sundry repairs before launching out. Checked the area out in the local neighborhood and there was nothing of import so I jumped to a level 2 planet and saw to my surprise that very party that was searching for me. I armed my missiles, slowed down to see what was developing which was starting to turn ugly with stray lasers going past me. Being a dineh warrior, I planted my ship while going through my battle chants and reconfirming that I walk in the Monster slayer's moccasins and am invulnerable to my enemies.
Going through the purification ritual not too long ago, I am renewed in spirit and in warrior prowess. Making sure that ships that were only enemies were in front, I added full power and headed into the mass of ships, ignoring laser strikes coming in at all angles. The battle was long and furious... finally I had to use my ebomb to finish off the many still around me. When the odds are long like this,, it is a great equalizer to have. When the battle was finished.... I checked my count and I am now over my 10,000 coup count.... The legends are right, wearing the Monster Slayer's moccasins do give power over your enemies. YAAAAAAH
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8747/unfairodds.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5368/10kcoup.jpg

update: just came out of a level 12 poor industrial planet when I met up with yet Another "search party. Obviously since the first party never returned... a second was sent out to search for me...
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8913 ... hgroup.png
Last edited by Yah-Ta-Hey on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

wow thats an enormous 'searching' party. :shock: And did you get Elite? If you did congrats :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Nothing personal, I can assure you! It was simply business... It's just that the business involves killing people. :twisted:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Earlier today, I noticed the game was slowly getting more and more boring. I was dying less and less, and I've been stuck in Ramaza for a while shooting down those pesky Ionics weapon platforms, and the "hyper-annoying" Whitetails. I've killed 91 Ramazan government vessels already, and there are over a hundred left. I'm not sure, but I think the number of active Ramazan military ships is increasing slowly. So, I was stuck in a cycle. Shoot down Military vessels (and the occasional pirate), go to the Link base for free fuel and missiles, jump to a nearby system because they won't let me dock at Ramaza, jump back to Ramaza after saving my game, and back to shooting military vessels.
I just had to break free of this cycle. I was used to roaming the eight seeking pirates, not fighting in a civil war. So, I did do something.
I installed the first level of Smivs' ToughGuys, along with the Wolf Mk.2 OXP. I then searched G2 for a Wolf Mk.2 SE, which I purchased and repainted blue. I named her the Indomitable.
I then proceeded to Ramaza, slowly this time, enjoying the chance to resume bounty hunting for a while.
I died at least three times. :roll:
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Nothing personal, I can assure you! It was simply business... It's just that the business involves killing people. :twisted:
Brilliant. I have had Random Hits for most of the time I have been playing but have not came across that name before! I am going to have to take more contracts to find im!

So begins the hunt of Commander Mclane.... :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"