Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Cody »

Estwing wrote:
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to leave the script there and go back (forwards) with my usual commamder/ship to G1.
14 Eagles Vs 1 Falcon. Hmmm, I'll let you know :)
Right on commander… I look forward to the pics of that encounter… and good luck.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Alternatively, you could edit the "0 129" part to get them to appear closer to your present location. The first number (0) is the Galaxy-1, the second the planet number within the Galaxy. Planet numbers can be found in the [wiki]Oolite_planet_list[/wiki].
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

I considered removing that squadron of Eagle-IIs at Zaonce, but after a while I grew to enjoy
hyping in and killing a few before lighting up the drives and heading off to the planet. It's like
a tradition now to kill at least 2-3 when I pass through the system! :D
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Just now I had a go at those Eagles in my Caddy Omega at an anarchy (Edzaar in galaxy eight).

But two Renegades turned up too, and - at least because I thought weapons of mass destruction were unsporting - I got creamed and my escape pod auto-ejected to a nearby Sentinel station. I tooled up, repaired, and returned, but then got attacked tuite suite by a Renegade and, I think, a semi-cloaked (or whatever it is when the ship flickers) Werewolf, and accidentally I slammed into the Werewolf and, thereby, died. (I was using injectors because I was eager for the fight with the Eagles.) This second time around I did not see the Eagles. But (1) I wasn't alive long and (2) they may have been fighting my thargon fighters.

I know that, on my first attack, I got two Eagles; I may have got (via missiles and thargons and indeed lasers) several more. And, on either the first attack or the second, I destroyed a Renegade sidewinder.

Verdict? I think I award myself a fail-with-mitigating-circumstances.
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

Without the intervention of those super ships, I have no doubt your caddy would have marmalised those Eagles!
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

UK_Eliter wrote:
... I think, a semi-cloaked (or whatever it is when the ship flickers) ...
That is cloaked. If you get you own cloaking device and activate it, you'll see that your own ship will flicker in exactly the same way. There is no perfect cloaking in Oolite (which gives you an edge over NPCs, because you'll still see them if they're cloaked; while they don't know your position anymore if you're cloaked).
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Commander McLane: ah yes, you are right. I had forgotten - or was confusing cloaked ships with the non-flickering ones that, like the flickering - cloaked ones - do not allow you to get a lock on them.

curtsibling: Thanks for the endorsement!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

UK_Eliter wrote:
... the non-flickering ones that, like the flickering - cloaked ones - do not allow you to get a lock on them.
Those are not part of core Oolite (unlike cloaked ships; well, a cloaked ship :wink: ). And the piece of equipment responsible for this behaviour is not allowed to exist in my own personal Ooniverse. On the rare occasions when I have installed an OXP featuring ships with this device, I have removed it from their shipdata.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

That equipment is called 'M.A.S.C.' ('military anti-scanning counter-measures', or similar), right? I wonder which OXP has installed it (though I am happy with it, I think).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

The equipment itself is part of the game code. But it was never used by the game itself, and it isn't officially supported. My guess is that it got implemented as part of a mission. And then Aegidian (the creator of Oolite) had a burn-out and the mission itself never materialized. Anyway, I strongly assume that you were probably supposed to meet one ship during a mission which had the device. I don't think it was meant to be a standard device for any ship type you would meet frequently.

But as the device exists, of course OXP writers are free to use it on their ships. It's just that I dislike it, and remove it from my game experience wherever I encounter it. Up to the point, that is, when I can use it as a one-time-encounter during one of the missions I'm working on.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Maybe part of an encounter/mission I saw on the Commodore-64 Elite, there's a very rare ship I only saw ~3 times that was as tough as the Constrictor, at least as fast, and didn't show up on radar. I think it's called the Cougar...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Switeck wrote:
Maybe part of an encounter/mission I saw on the Commodore-64 Elite, there's a very rare ship I only saw ~3 times that was as tough as the Constrictor, at least as fast, and didn't show up on radar. I think it's called the Cougar...
Do you mean this one?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Although this lacks the "clean" wireframe, this is the ship I meant:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Cat_%28Oolite%29
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

You'll notice from the wiki description that it has (cougar) in brackets - it's effectively the same ship.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

A rare treat today, I came across three bandits in a 'safe' system (Industrial TL12), a Mk1 Cobra, a Python and...a rogue Contractor! Only the second one I've ever seen. I soon dispatched the Cobby and Python, then set about the Contractor, or rather he set about me. :o
I was low on fuel, so let him bring the fight to me, which he did enthusiastically. The battle seemed to last for ages, but I was getting some good hits in, wearing him down slowly but surely. I was taking a bit of punishment as well though.

We were both dodging the Python's cargo and trying to get that fatal blow in that would tip the balance. Eventually I hit him with a good long blast of laser, he started throwing sparks, and I knew I had him! Despite hitting me with a long final blast of rear Mil Laser, he finally succumbed. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.