Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by CaptSolo »

Yah-Ta-Hey, That happened to me once early in the game and I've also seen stations appear only to disappear.

My Status: Constrictor Mission. Arrived G2 at Orrionti. IIRC the arrival in G2 on the old 8 bit game was Cearso or near there.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

CaptSolo...It is great to know that others have experienced the same thing... You are doing something that is very brave Rider of the stars... taking on commisisons knowing that there are those who make it a speciality of huting down Riders like you. Then again.. I hunt those who hunt you.. some day we may meet and we will share stories of bravery and of success. Hope to see you at the bar ... I will buy the first round.
Yah-ta-Hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

A more detailed description of the disappearing-stations-problem would be helpful.

When does it happen? Where does it happen? Under which circumstances? Are we talking about main stations or additional stations? Was there anything unusual (or anything at all) in latest.log?

Certainly stations are not meant to suddenly disappear, so there must be a bug somewhere. Reporting the issue with as much details as possible may help to find and squash this bug.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Commander McLane: I wasn't even thinking about a "bug"... I thought the space station disappearances were part of the program. Makes for a "spooky" situation that can become myth of haunted sectors, etc.
But I will look for instances and see if I can't record them for you. So far, I have only seen this in the 2d galaxy.

Yah-Ta-Hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Commander McLane:
I have the screen shots showing the station very close to the planet(1), then it's disappearance(2), reappearance milliarcs higher than it should be(3). a location(4) and name shot(5).
Special thanks to Switek for his help at the bar.

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Do you happen to have the log file of this ride? (It is called latest.log while and after you're running Oolite; it becomes previous.log after you have closed and opened Oolite again; and is lost forever afterwards.)

Points of interest would be which OXPs you have installed, and anything hinting to errors in the log.

Personally I have never witnessed a disappearing and reappearing station, and I have no clue what could cause it. It's impossible to judge from the screenshots whether you have rolled in-between shots, and therefore whether the new station is positioned at the same place as the old station, or at a different place.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Commander McLane:
Yah-Ta-Hey here...If found them in another folder: this is the latest: below that is the previous where I did not have the incident.

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2011-03-08 17:52:30 -0800.
2 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1600 x 900
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/Energy Equipment 1.11.oxp
../AddOns/milmissile.oxp
../AddOns/Stingray.oxp
../AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
../AddOns/wolfwoods_variants.oxp
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202")
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (82):
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_NV_blend_square
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
[rendering.opengl.shader.mode]: Shader mode set to SHADERS_FULL.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 7 world scripts:
Emergency Energy Unit 2.1
oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
oolite-nova 1.74.2
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
targetAutolock 1.11
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========

Previous log:
[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2011-03-08 17:32:14 -0800.
2 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1600 x 900
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/Energy Equipment 1.11.oxp
../AddOns/milmissile.oxp
../AddOns/Stingray.oxp
../AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
../AddOns/wolfwoods_variants.oxp
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202")
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (82):
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_NV_blend_square
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
[rendering.opengl.shader.mode]: Shader mode set to SHADERS_FULL.
oolite-nova 1.74.2
oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
targetAutolock 1.11
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
oolite-nova 1.74.2
oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
targetAutolock 1.11
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2011-03-08 17:52:17 -0800.

In the screen shots... my ship had not moved or turned. I hit the pause, then continued, hit pause again when I took the shots. so the planet moved but the station should have kept the same position that it was before and it wasn't, it had move up and to the left.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

video of incident for your VIEWING PLEASURE:
Yah-Ta-Hey Doing Circle Dance of Victory :D

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2316/y8z.mp4
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Uh oh, this might be a possible explanation for the disappearing stations. One thing you can try is go to the 3D Settings of the graphics card and set Depth Buffer Bit Depth to 24 bit (hoping that such setting exists, I am not familiar with the details of the Intel 4 Series chipset's drivers). Not sure if this is going to help, but it did help me with a similar problem I had with the GM965 chipset, where the subentities of the unmodifiedl game's Coriolis seemed to appear and disappear depending on how far from the station I was.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I get something similar on my work machine (Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset), plus the notorious vanishing Q-bomb cloud. Luckily for me this laptop's due to be replaced in a few months, and if I purchase it I can then update the damn graphics drivers from the current ones which were previously used to draw pictures on cave walls...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
...update the damn graphics drivers from the current ones which were previously used to draw pictures on cave walls...
...which was, however, quite an achievement for the cave men...

Imagine, a highly integrated chip made of nothing but flintstone... :mrgreen:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I don't really have to - my day job is making such chips (albeit not with flint if I can avoid it).
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Constrictor mission: Found the thief waiting near the witchpoint beacon at Orarra and accelerated to attack. Fired upon him and what did he do? Why do I ask because most of you already know. I had expecting him to put up a fight, not run away. I cruised around for the longest time but he never returned. On a hunch I hyperspaced to a nearby planet, skimmed the sun and returned. He was there again and same reaction. I won't bore you with further details except to say on the third go I hit the jump drive toward his last location and kept this up for what seemed like ages until he ran out of fuel. Then I stayed on his six until he was finished. Bit disappointed though.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Your reputation preceded you.... :mrgreen:
When I found him.. He jumped me full tilt and it was fast and furious up to the point he ejected.

Yah-Ta-Hey
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

It just ain't FAIR! After All it's not my fault.... he should get the boot not me..... he was negligent... dumb ass cop!!!!

What am I ranting about... well, here I am in the 2d gal... minding my own business in bound to a level 12 confederate planet when I get jumped by several cobra rapiers, a gecko and what appeared to be a Krait.... I toggel my missile so I can get range and target the krait... after sniping at him, he finally goes up in a brilliant blast of pure white energy that nearly reaches me at 18km. I start to align another when I realize, I am getting pounded pretty good by the others butI have plenty of backup so I focus on my target when I see several purples coming in at warp speed...
Their appearance prompted more ships who must have lurking just out of range,to come in and soon we have a battle royal going with me, about 5 galcops, and 10 other ships all going hither and yon. I continue to concentrate on the gecko and am pounding him when some idiot of a cop inserts himself between me and my targert. He is close enough to me that I can see the individual hits going across the top of his sorry ship. His intervention allowed the gecko to get his act together and he bugs out. The vipers did a pretty good job of stopping what they are doing and start firing on me. I am innocent!!!! the turkey got in my way before I realized he was there... I hit my witchspace jump and get out of there, only to have the cops follow me through and the %$%$#%@ even arranged a welcoming party of another 5 when I came out. No missiles, no fuel, no where to go... getting pounded fast and hard... I can only eject and hope they all blast each other to kingdom come.
My pod manages to get to the station and guess what: YUP "Officer, I am innocent of the charge,,, it was that idiot who jumped in front... no no I am not calling you an idiot... what do you mean there's a fine and I gotta do WHAT.......??????" It just ain't fair..