Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by Thargoid »

I'm just about to download the OXP so I can review how things have been done and what we can do. PF v1.40 contains the tools to do it, but it will depend on how it's been implemented.

I'll look it over then PM you.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Hyperspaced from Inera to Esredice. Right away attacked by a Ferdy but attention diverted by message from Svengali commanding a Cobra MkIII. Had to deal with the Ferdy and it was quite a dog fight but I came out of it breathing. What's This?! Svengali starts blasting away on my aft shields. First time a personalities character attacked me. Won't be surprised next time haha! Anyway I got on his six and his shields started weakening. His ship exploded in a ball of fire but he was not on board I learned a few seconds later as his escape pod was scooped up. Upon docking with the station I received this message:

For capturing Scarface Svengali, a rotten, drugdealing, freelancing, dishonoured Ex-Navy-Major, you're paid a bounty of 180 credits.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CaptSolo wrote:
Hyperspaced from Inera to Esredice. Right away attacked by a Ferdy but attention diverted by message from Svengali commanding a Cobra MkIII. Had to deal with the Ferdy and it was quite a dog fight but I came out of it breathing. What's This?! Svengali starts blasting away on my aft shields. First time a personalities character attacked me. Won't be surprised next time haha! Anyway I got on his six and his shields started weakening. His ship exploded in a ball of fire but he was not on board I learned a few seconds later as his escape pod was scooped up. Upon docking with the station I received this message:

For capturing Scarface Svengali, a rotten, drugdealing, freelancing, dishonoured Ex-Navy-Major, you're paid a bounty of 180 credits.
This may not have been the last you heard of him. Svengali has friends who don't take his shot-down lightly, so be prepared! 8)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Yep, it won't last long... .-)
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Holy Hyperspace! My respect for this seemingly unpretentious OXP has risen ten fold. Guess I should have fired up the injectors and fled from Svengali. :) About half way in to Inera I spot this huge object. Closer inspection revealed this:

For awhile, thought I was toast but it never fired upon me. News spreads fast in the Ooniverse!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

You'd better watch yer back mate!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I had a fight with an Iguana (oldships2010 variant) for the first time ever in Oolite. The ship shot a missile at me and the missile hit me. It was a witchmissile because I instantly hyperspaced to another system.

In the new system I was immediately hit. The Iguana had followed me through the wormhole. I quickly turned the ship to dust. But it was nice to had a special missile fired at me.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Hey, this reminds me of a couple of encounter with deepspace pirates (having Armoury.oxp, I think, and the dynamic hud installed):
Going to skim sun for fuel, a group of 5 or 6 ds pirates attack. I turn a few to debris, only a couple left. Next one is already venting plasma, but my laser overheats just a tad too early. Start to turn my ship around, when suddenly: WHAM!! scanner blanks and I'm down to ~zero energy :o . So I hit the injectors to buy some time to recover and wonder what the Edible Poet just happened...

I quess one of those pests fired a Buzz bomb - very scary and really cool :D.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yup, buzz bombs and displacer missiles are both in Armoury (and both usable by NPCs). Although the displacer missile only moves you within the system, it doesn't force a witchspace jump (I thought that a little too unfair and was also potentially too much of a mission-breaker in some scenarios).

The jump-forcing missile is certainly possible though, although I don't like the concept.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Never know what to expect when I scoop up an NPC in an escape pod. This fellow should have taken up a different occupation. A slimy rodent! Oh well the Ooniverse is populated with all kinds.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just wait till you meet the Lobstoids! :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Whopped about a dozen or so pirates (young whippersnappers) and scooped about 40 cargo cannisters (loads of platinum and gold), set the advance navigator to "N", hit the Torus jump drive and attacked the beer cooler.
As I watched the final approach, What the devil is is that i thought?
Looming up huge in front of me.......................swathed in darkness.............a Tori2 space station.............

the jump drive sluggishly deselected itself, I decide to manually dock, knocked over my beer bent down to pick it up..........Boom...........
Press Space Commander
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

There's a 'Moral' in there somewhere, methinks. :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Current milk run: Inera - Raale - Rexebe. Journey back to Raale I use the corridor to encounter pirates. If I get into deep trouble have enough fuel to hyper back to a safe planet. Tonight a swarm of seven nasties, one of whom was launching hard heads at me. Two Cobra's, Two Mamba's, one Gecko, one Asp, and this Moray. I had splashed two while using injectors to get away from aft fire and the hard heads. Now turning onto the Moray I spot a perfect opportunity for a snapshot with a beautiful System Redux planet in the background:
Oh, I did manage to dust all seven luckily but seeing that hard head spiraling in from the rear view made me think of my mortality this night. )
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

I am in the 2d gal. NE corner at an anarchy planet… I just vaporized 2 fugitives, skimmed the sun and turned to the planet in order to tradel and drop off a pod that I scooped up. Incoming, I usually approach at a 45 degree angle and this was what I was doing…. Did a visual on the station, confirmed it on my navigation beacon detector and headed in.
The station filled my crosshairs when it suddenly disappeared. Now, I have seen this on another planet and figured it must be somekind of cloaking device and I know that if I wait it out.. the station reappears in a few seconds still on track. However this time, it took longer than I expected to come back and it was several milliarcs from it’s computed trajectory. I made the track correction and saw I was now 90 degrees inbound. Didn’t think too much of it The nav beacon said I was on course. My computations showed the station to be ahead when I got the welcome S for the station…. I hit my docking computers and got the “press space commander”. While all my cargo floated in space around what was left of me, I checked my now useless display and What I saw was a very short Red line at Altitude!! I had tried to dock onto a phantom space station that physically was not there. I can only assume that my sensors picked up the station on the other side of the planet and had tried to dock my ship through thousands of miles of planet. Go Figure.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.