Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by CaptSolo »

Bugbear wrote:
I dialled up the nearest rock hermit...
No self respecting hermit would have a buoy outside his front door.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

In some ways I agree with you, though I do use the RHL OXP - but Cheyd's buoys are such cool eye-candy.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I always think 'Rock Hermit' is a bit of a misnomer. They are not hermits in the sense of somebody who has withdrawn, but rather individuals (or even groups of people) who choose to live away from the hurly-burly of the planet and instead form a small community of miners, with the 'hermitage' acting as their base or meeting place.
Indeed many are so popular they have even been bought-out by coffee-shop franchises :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I tend to think of them as something along the lines of the asteroid miners in Heinlein's Space Family Stone , aka The Rolling Stones.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

My imagined hermit back-story is part of the immersion - they're on the darker side.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Cody wrote:
My imagined hermit back-story is part of the immersion - they're on the darker side.
What! They make OXPs? :shock:
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Smivs wrote:
Cody wrote:
What! They make OXPs? :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Cody

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Cody wrote:
What! They make OXPs?
<chortles> No, they make cookies!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Mmmmmm :)
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Andru reporting in, commander of the Cobra Mk3, 'Sly Serpico'. Location: Atius, within the outer rim of chart 3, a planet famous for its evil brandy. Actually, this was my third stop on one tank of witchspace juice so I was a little apprehensive. I had a hold full of furs hoping for a good price at Orzaedve, but when I arrived there the market was disappointing. Atius is less than .5 LY away so I my plan was to jump there and return. Nearly a fatal decision.

Upon arrival Atius, identified the presence of a Rock Hermit in the space lane. Being an agricultural world, it may have a decent amount of cheap metals to buy, so I pushed on with all haste. I met a couple pirates on the way, but they were not much trouble. They did, however, manage to deplete my fuel to mere vapors evading the two hard heads they let loose before being destroyed.

Finally, I approach the Rock Hermit, sidling along it's starboard side at half speed... Preparing for the yaw maneuver to bring my ship around to the cavernous entrance. As I do, I notice the hermit, piloting a Cobby 1, is on docking approach as well. Nice, I thought, I'll just throttle down and follow her in. Just then, at extreme forward scanner range, appear what I make out to be at least six bogies closing fast. No Worries, I'm nearly home. I wonder if the master of this house has some fresh brewed coffee?

About half way in laser beams flash above my cockpit. The Cobby1 ahead of me freaks out, pitches, rolls, and collides with the tunnel wall... Smashed to pieces! I keep my wits for the moment, and throttle up. Just then, the master himself emerges in a Cobby 3 to defend his property. What a bloody disaster! We collide and in one micro-second, my forward shield is gone. The next second the entire asteroid breaks up and now what remains is battering the hull of my ship, damaging cargo and several key systems. With no protection whatsoever, the pirates now open up on me. I did the only thing I could: Pitched down away from a boulder and hit the injectors. Luckily, I just had enough fuel to scamper away and then take a torus vector away from the space lane.

I brought the 'Sly Serpico' to a full stop so shields could recharge and I could ascertain the damage. It could have been worse. Just as I began to calm down I hear a whimpering sound from the galley. Oh no! Dexter me lad? Dexter, my faithful canine, has been with me on all my adventures. I jump out of my seat, rush down the hall and through the galley portal. But I'm too late to do any good. His deep brown eyes look up at me, his tail manages a few feeble wags, and then he is gone. Shock set's in quickly, but is - just as soon - transformed into a building rage. Good bye, good Dexter, me lad. I won't forget you, but I will repay.
Cody

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
Shock set's in quickly, but is - just as soon - transformed into a building rage.
I felt much the same when Thargoids killed my ship's cat, the irreplaceable Lord Effingham.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

@Cody, was Lord Effingham a product of an OXP?

If not, it gives me an OXP idea - a ships pet purchasble via the shipyard.

Once the pet is purchased, it is given a random name (ala Random Shipnames), and is listed as part of the ship's equipment.

If the 'pet' is damaged in combat, you'll be faced with a vet bill when you next pull into dock.

If the pet's injuries are too great, there's a chance that healing will be impossible and you'll have to bid your pet farewell (and then make your way to the nearest seedy bar to recruit some helpers in dealing with your remorse :-) )
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Bugbear wrote:
@Cody, was Lord Effingham a product of an OXP?
Yeah... this one. I added Lord Effingham to the names myself, though.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The Ship's Cat OXP creator, superbatprime, seems to have vanished.. and he did state that he hoped somebody with more ability would add to it.. it would be a shame to let Bugbears ideas to improve on the basic concept go to waste.. anyone up for adding them to the OXP?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Cody wrote:
Yeah... this one.
Thanks for that. Picked up a stray and a pedigree cat already. Let's hope they like each other :-)
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.