Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by mossfoot »

Does that mean I'd have to stop posting here, or just that a copy would be made there?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well, it's developed to the point that a dedicated thread makes more sense.. it's become a saga, rather than the recounting of an occasional incident. perhaps post a link to it here, for those who encounter the story in this thread and want to read more..

But no need to remove what's already here, for sure.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

A thread-split will serve - but leave the split-off thread here in Discussion, perhaps.
If mossfoot decides to collate them all into a 'diary', then that could go in Fiction.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Hear hear!!!
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Do you mean like this?

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16586

Just keep letting me know you're enjoying what you see and I'll keep scribbling. It's good practice, but only worth it if people are enjoying it ;)

Oh, by the way, if you like my stuff I think you'd probably love Toby Frost's "Space Captain Smith" series. I posted about it in the off-topic board but hadn't seen if there were any fans (or anyone interested in checking it out).

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16577
--

Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods> Yep - and do keep scribbling, as they're entertaining.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
I'd put it in slightly stronger terms.. Don't you dare stop what you're doing! (please) :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
I'd put it in slightly stronger terms.. Don't you dare stop what you're doing! (please) :lol:
What he said!!!!!!!
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Also liking this.

Space Capt Smith looks a hoot. As and when funds etc etc...

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Oh, it is totally a hoot. A great combination of action, comedy, and parody. Firefly meets Discworld meets Flashman might be one way to describe it ;)
--

Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Cool........ Or as I'm feeling hip... Kewl! Three of my favourites straight off the bat!

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

2 out of 3... Flashman???
OR i could go with
or simply
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Who's Who wrote:
FLASHMAN, Harry Paget, brigadier-general, V.C., K.C.B., K.C.I.E.: Chevalier, Legion of Honour; Order of Maria Theresa, Austria; Order of the Elephant, Denmark (temporary); U.S. Medal of Honor; San Serafino Order of Purity and Truth, 4th class; born May 5, 1822, son of H. Buckley Flashman, Esq., Ashby, and Hon. Alicia Paget; married Elspeth Rennie Morrison, daughter of Lord Paisley, one son, one daughter. Educated Rugby School, 11th Hussars, 17th Lancers. Served Afghanistan 1841-2 (medals, thanks of Parliament); chief of staff to H.M. James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak, Batang Luper expedition, 1844; military adviser with unique rank of sergeant-general to H.M. Queen Ranavalona of Madagascar, 1844-5; Sutleg campaign, 1845-6 (Ferozeshah, Sobraon, envoy extraordinary to Maharani Jeendan, Court of Lahore); political adviser to Herr (later Chancellor Prince) von Bismarck, Schleswig-Holstein, 1847-8; Crimea, staff (Alma, Sevastopol, Balaclava), prisoner of war, 1854; artillery adviser to Atalik Ghazi, Syr Daria campaign, 1855; India, Sepoy Mutiny, 1857-8, diplomatic envoy to H.R.H. the Maharani of Jhansi, trooper 3rd Native Cavalry, Meerut, subsequently attached Rowbotham’s Mosstroopers, Cawnpore (Lucknow, Gwalior, etc., V.C.); adjutant to Captain John Brown, Harper’s Ferry, 1859; China campaign 1860, political mission to Nanking, Taiping Rebellion, political and other services, Imperial Court, Pekin; U.S. Army (major, Union forces, 1862, colonel [staff], Army of the Confederacy, 1863); aide-de-camp to H.I.M. Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, 1867; interpreter and observer Sioux campaign, U.S., 1875-6 (Camp Robinson conference, Little Big Horn, etc.); Zulu War, 1879 (Isandhlwana, Rorke’s Drift); Egypt 1882 (Kassassin, Tel-el-Kebir; personal bodyguard to H.I.M. Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria, 1883; Sudan 1884-5 (Khartoum); Pekin Legations, 1900. Travelled widely in military and civilian capacities, among them supercargo, merchant marine (West Africa), agriculturist (Mississippi valley), wagon captain and hotelier (Santa Fe Trail); buffalo hunter and scout (Oregon Trail); majordomo (India), prospector (Australia); trader and missionary (Solomon Islands, Fly River, etc.), lottery supervisor (Manila), diamond broker and horse coper (Punjab), deputy marshal (U.S.), occasional actor and impersonator. Honorable member of numerous societies and clubs, including Sons of the Volsungs (Strackenz), Mimbreno Apache Copper Mines band (New Mexico), Khokand Horde (Central Asia), Kit Carson’s Boys (Colorado), Brown’s Lambs (Maryland), M.C.C., White’s and United Service (London, both resigned), Blackjack (Batavia). Chairman, Flashman & Bottomley, Ltd.; director, British Opium Trading Co.; governor, Rugby School; honorary president Mission for Reclamation of Reduced Females.

Publications: Dawns and Departures of a Soldier’s Life; Twixt Cossack and Cannon; The Case Against Army Reform.

Recreations: oriental studies, angling, cricket (performed first recorded “hat trick,” wickets of Felix Pilch, Mynn, for 14 runs, Rugby Past and Present v. Kent, Lord’s, 1842; five for 12, Mynn’s Casuals v. All-England XI, 1843.

Address: Gandamack Lodge, Ashby, Leicestershire
Flashman was the school bully in the 19th-century novel Tom Brown's Schooldays. George MacDonald Fraser wrote a series of novels, based on a set of private papers written by Flashman and discovered in a trunk in the 1960s, covering Flashman's long and eventful life. Flashman is a horrible character, a bully and a coward, but in his papers at least he has the redeeming feature of complete honesty. The books are very funny, and very well researched too. As examinations of the underside of the British Empire, and of the Victorian world in general, they're hard to beat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

What Big D said - a thoroughly good read!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

added to my must read list.... bloody long list though.... so much to read so little time :cry: :cry:
OR i could go with
or simply