Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Statement of Intent (oo... grand, eh?) - Incursio

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Statement of Intent (oo... grand, eh?) - Incursio

Post by ClymAngus »

Pills plural. I.E. Both. Resulting in the worst case of reality whiplash injury ever experienced in the history of humanity.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Owww,
didn't notice this thread earlier - shame on me!

If the story needs another background character doing something foolish to help main character(s) survive a bit longer, then you can count on a lone, damaged Sunracer Scout to plummet lasers blazing into the side of a Thargoid battleship or some other similarly brave/cowardly/suicidal deed. Not needed to mention, but for your information: the ship's name is Jolly Roger (custom kitted former Naval Scout vessel), and it is piloted by Commander Zieman (privateer).
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

ooooo!

wish I was called something else though :lol: any rock hermits in the story? :D

R
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Been away for a while with some fleeting anonymous lurking. Great News! on the story front I enjoyed reading the previous two stories looking forward to the third. 8)
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Thanks guys! :P Sorry Rebecca, no rock hermits planned. There is, of course, a 'Rebecca' in the story. Couldn't fit in two though, that would be asking for trouble!

As another litmus test, some of the forum characters are now encountering both each other and my SQ and M characters.

Mindful of Clym's warning to avoid the Mary Sue scenario, let's just say that not everyone sees eye-to-eye. I'm bringing out some character flaws in all the individuals so there is a bit of conflict and the whole "who's on whose side" stuff is deliberately obscure.

Needless to say, there may be some gun-toting and posturing going on... :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Spooky
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Spooky »

This is fantastic news.

I still pop in now and then to see what's going on the in Ooniverse and this has just made my year (Ok, so it's January... what's your point?). Any chance of getting "The Trilogy", once completed, in a super sexy limited edition hardback? My book case is crying out for it.

I'm off for a change of pants now. I appear to have had a "commotion" in these ones.
Spooky
www.int13h.com
Evil Genius

The most merciful thing in all the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of its contents.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I have one small query. Reading the time lines I know where we're going with this..... Mainly here;

http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/oo-timeline.asp

I also noticed this history is a shorter version of this;

http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/utf_4timeline.asp

In effect bridging the gap between Elite and Frontier. Fine, that was it's original purpose. It would be remiss of me however not to at least comment on weather as writers, we are boxed into the events of 3164 in the extended time line.

Sure this does solve a problem, mainly the physical discrepancy between the 2 games BUT given the growth of oolite; is acting as the the atrium for Frontier inevitable? The neat answer would be of course yes. This is not our game we have no right to it, it's history or it's natural progression.

I'm just unsure we all feel like this. Don't get me wrong (I don't want to change the world) but if some author departs from the extended time line canon, I would be quite interested to see what would happen. Would it all get trekKer? Would we require a plot device?

In trying to conform, have we sold our creativity a little short? Just a question, food for thought. I certainly don't want to have a fight about it because (quite frankly) I don't know the answer. :)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

ClymAngus wrote:
I have one small query. Reading the time lines I know where we're going with this..... Mainly here;

http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/oo-timeline.asp

I also noticed this history is a shorter version of this;

http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/utf_4timeline.asp

In effect bridging the gap between Elite and Frontier. Fine, that was it's original purpose. It would be remiss of me however not to at least comment on weather as writers, we are boxed into the events of 3164 in the extended time line.

Sure this does solve a problem, mainly the physical discrepancy between the 2 games BUT given the growth of oolite; is acting as the the atrium for Frontier inevitable? The neat answer would be of course yes. This is not our game we have no right to it, it's history or it's natural progression.

I'm just unsure we all feel like this. Don't get me wrong (I don't want to change the world) but if some author departs from the extended time line canon, I would be quite interested to see what would happen. Would it all get trekKer? Would we require a plot device?

In trying to conform, have we sold our creativity a little short? Just a question, food for thought. I certainly don't want to have a fight about it because (quite frankly) I don't know the answer. :)
It never stopped Tim Burton "re-imagining", or JJ Abrahams throwing away everything that had gone before with Star Trek - I hated it, my younger friends who kind of saw "Enterprise" and saw how that was a time traveller nightmare basically went "meh!" and just thought it was an action packed bit of fluff that didn't have to be a star trek film at all and could have just been a Sci-Fi film. That's Oolite I think - it's so rich now, that it's effectively a divergence, a parallel universe that could stray from the tenuous Elite->Frontier link without causing too much gnashing of teeth!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

A very personal (and probably unpopular) view: Oolite should have its own timeline.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I don't think any authors should worry about bending or even breaking other people's timelines (or even their own, come to that). Treat the fiction like OXPs – nobody has to conform to anyone else's setup. There's big enough areas of overlap, and big enough areas of doubt, to suit everyone. Nobody should think that any pronouncement – even from something as canon as The Dark Wheel, IMO – is the absolute final truth on anything. It's all open to reinvention and reinterpretation. If someone doesn't like something – then they don't have to believe it! :D
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

It would be remiss of me however not to at least comment on weather as writers, we are boxed into the events of 3164 in the extended time line.
There's no weather in space, so it's not a problem. :lol:

Agree with Disembodied.

I think my stories are only one possible 'future' for Oolite. I can't stick to Selezen's timeline exactly because it's simply not possible given what I've already written. Let's just say I'm bending it rather a lot and loosely basing things on Selezen's work and I've borrowed some bits and pieces from the later games to give a sense of technology progressing and so on.

I'd be tempted to consider SQ, M and I as vignettes of an Oolite-Universe, not 'THE' Oolite-Universe. They're not supposed to be 'Oolite canon', if there is such a thing, and if you don't want to read them with a Frontier/FFE in mind, you don't have to.

If we need to go down the multiverse/time travel route, it's not a problem. As they say in CasaBloonca - "We'll always have Raxxla" :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I concur!

I wrote Lazarus in response to the new sleek shaped ships that Simon B produced - there's nothing in anybody's canon that said ships manifestly restructured themselves after an attack by Thargoids - but I wrote it anyway!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

My stories will be internally consistent (well, that's the plan!) but also agree, other fictional works may cause your mileage to vary!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Update:

Close to 25k words and proceeding well with Chapter Three. Still on track for summer time.

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Up to 40k, but progress slowed by RL, summer now looking optimistic, but will keep plugging away...

Having fun though... Coyote+Derik+Udian+Rebecca+Jim+DaddyHoggy = FUN :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter