Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Found Co-admin for box.net account hosting oosat1/2 OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Found Co-admin for box.net account hosting oosat1/2 OXPs

Post by maik »

Hi all,

some days ago, when oosat2 became available again after an outage, I copied all the OXPs that were hosted there to a box.net account. Since then, I also copied all OXPs from oosat1 to the same box.net account. All ex-oosat2 OXPs are already linked on the Wiki pages, and most ex-oosat1 OXPs are.

However, as I am not the author, I don't feel comfortable being the only person who can administer this box.net account. Ideally, I'd share this responsibility with some of the folks that have been around for some time and are not likely to disappear anytime soon.

Any suggestions who I should ask?

Cheers,
-Maik

EDIT: Rxke volunteered. Thanks. :)
Last edited by maik on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

:shock:

Won't you exceed the bandwith with all that stuff on only one account?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Rxke wrote:

So far I used 6% of the monthly bandwidth, with the oosat2 files being available since 10 days and oosat1 since 7 days at least. So it seems it will survive the month easily.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Small files, I guess, because these are all older OXP's...

I don't see nothing wrong with you as admin, but you're probably right -or prudent- to share the 'keys' with someone else, if only to make sure there's some redundancy, heh.

So, if no-one steps up the plate, I volunteer.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

maik wrote:
Rxke wrote:

So far I used 6% of the monthly bandwidth, with the oosat2 files being available since 10 days and oosat1 since 7 days at least. So it seems it will survive the month easily.
With the limits of a free account you'll soon hit the maximum. That is also the reason I don't want host more files. On average I now reach 50% of my limit at the end of each month. The highest value I noticed was 70%. Today my bandwidth status is 61% and the month has not ended yet. And I only host a few files.

About oosat1: are you aware that not all links to oosat1 go to the old files you see on logging in, but some go to newer versions that are uploaded later? The board is no longer maintained, but you can still upload. All uploads end up in the dropbox.
Files I improved and were original on that site I sometimes uploaded there and the wiki links to those.

EDIT: I just noticed on the wiki you added both download links for some files but the one to the box account as the primary site. Maybe it would be better to switch them to reduce the download amount on the box account. However, it only becomes important when you do actually reach the limit regularly.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Eric Walch wrote:
About oosat1: are you aware that not all links to oosat1 go to the old files you see on logging in, but some go to newer versions that are uploaded later? The board is no longer maintained, but you can still upload. All uploads end up in the dropbox.
Files I improved and were original on that site I sometimes uploaded there and the wiki links to those.
Yes, I found this list as well. But since I went to the Wiki to find oosat links I don't think I missed any of those (except stuff that wasn't linked to from the Wiki).

Regarding new uploads: While possible, it doesn't seem like oosat1's dropbox sees many uploads today. I would actually encourage people to not upload stuff there but rather use other services like box.net simply because I do not trust that sites that have been abandoned years ago receive the required maintenance and operations love.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Rxke wrote:
Small files, I guess, because these are all older OXP's...

I don't see nothing wrong with you as admin, but you're probably right -or prudent- to share the 'keys' with someone else, if only to make sure there's some redundancy, heh.

So, if no-one steps up the plate, I volunteer.
Thanks, Rxke. In order to make you a collaborator (in box.net terms) you need an account there as well. Please PM me the email address that you use for box.net so I can authorize you.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

maik wrote:
Regarding new uploads: While possible, it doesn't seem like oosat1's dropbox sees many uploads today. I would actually encourage people to not upload stuff there but rather use other services like box.net simply because I do not trust that sites that have been abandoned years ago receive the required maintenance and operations love.
While Cap'n Hack isn't actively taking part on the boards anymore, he will still react to PMs or emails and fix problems with Oosat, which is still a part of his own site, after all.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Commander McLane wrote:
maik wrote:
While Cap'n Hack isn't actively taking part on the boards anymore, he will still react to PMs or emails and fix problems with Oosat, which is still a part of his own site, after all.
Today this is probably true. But for the same reason that I am asking for other people to become co-admins of my box.net OXP folder I don't think that this is a viable solution: It is dependent on one person's spare time effort and there will always be situations where real life is simply more important.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

maik wrote:
Today this is probably true. But for the same reason that I am asking for other people to become co-admins of my box.net OXP folder I don't think that this is a viable solution: It is dependent on one person's spare time effort and there will always be situations where real life is simply more important.
That's the only reason I volunteered: redundancy, because RealLife happens! ;)
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Rxke is now collaborator. Thanks! :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Thanks.

I hope I won't be needed much (Because that would meand that

a) You stick around for a loooong time
b) There are no problems with Box.net
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

maik wrote:
Rxke is now collaborator. Thanks! :)
I prefer the term "co-conspirator" ;)

Good work Commanders! Oolite marches on!
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Rxke wrote:
I hope I won't be needed much (Because that would meand that

a) You stick around for a loooong time
:)

No plans to leave anytime soon. Just my day job sometimes keeps me from spending as much time with Oolite, the BB, and the Wiki as I like. But thanks!
Vaztr
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Vaztr »

Hi All,

I don't know if this helps at all, but I have a site that has unlimited bandwidth and up/downloads that I'm happy to use as a 'mirror' for any/all the box.net stuff.

Let me know if it's of use

<Shameless plug> The site is www.alaise.com.au - check it out - you might just have the best time of your real life :wink: </Shameless plug>

VAZ
The best place to be in RL USED TO BE HERE - but because it was an AD and not a 'resource for visitors... ...to allow them to learn about it's services' it has been removed