Vortex OXP (plus the Maelstrom)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Vortex OXP (plus the Maelstrom)

Post by montana05 »

DavidG wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 pm
I've just noticed, and I don't recall if it always did it, that firing the lasers also reduces my energy banks, at quite an appreciable rate!
I didn't have a close look at Thargoid's script yet but as much as I remember it could be connected to the Defense systems:

Defense systems - from its military history, the Vortex features a missile defense screen in the form of a hull-mounted microwave cannon. Due to the difficulty in targetting and aiming this (especially whilst in combat), it is entirely controlled by the MAC. The system will also auto-link to the ships ECM systems if fitted, as a further line of defense.

ECM definitely is using energy and I assume that there are some missiles around if you fire your lasers.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
DavidG
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DavidG »

that would make sense, except I tested it under condition green, with no missiles or even any other ships on the scanner, and it was still reducing energy. Shields stayed at full, and nothing else was active, such as turrets, missile screen or anything else.

Its possible my vortex is a pacifist!
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

... , that firing the lasers also reduces my energy banks, at quite an appreciable rate! Definitely not getting shot as I'm Condition Green! Shields are full and only damage is currently Naval Energy Unit. I'll repair that and test again, but for a ship with 8 banks i'm getting battered more in this than the Falcon, and this would explain it!

Or is this the trade off for a powerful ship?

Dave
Your ship has the laser cannon or new lasers? The some cannons take an additional energy.

Perhaps, more damage because the Vortex has more size form.
Last edited by Rustem on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Rustem wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:57 pm
... , that firing the lasers also reduces my energy banks, at quite an appreciable rate! Definitely not getting shot as I'm Condition Green! Shields are full and only damage is currently Naval Energy Unit. I'll repair that and test again, but for a ship with 8 banks i'm getting battered more in this than the Falcon, and this would explain it!

Or is this the trade off for a powerful ship?

Dave
Your ship has the laser cannon? The some cannons take an additional energy.

Perhaps, more damage because the Vortex has more size form.
Thanks Rustem, I forgot about this :oops:
Some of the OXP lasers could be quite demanding when it comes to energy, laser cannons are (I believe) on top of this list.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
DavidG
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DavidG »

I'll check, but unless I upgraded by accident, I should be running standard military lasers fore and aft. it has been known for me to purchase an upgrade by accident though!

D
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

The multiple military laser and some new lasers take an more additional energy also. See a laser documentation. :)
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

I uploaded a new version, v1.32, based on Rustem's v1.31, it's available in the Expansion Manager.

It corrects a bug that messed up cargo bay space occupied by precious metals and gem stones if he player scooped anything, even if the player's ship wasn't a Vortex or Maelstrom: precious metals and gem stones previously in the ship's safe started taking up cargo space.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Just to note that the various recent versions of this OXP do not restore the original functionality of the Military Injectors.

See here for more on this.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?