Vortex OXP (plus the Maelstrom)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Vortex OXP (plus the Maelstrom)

Post by Wildeblood »

Vortex cargo bay is not compatible with Oolite 1.82 because of changes to the way cargo goods are defined. Unless Thargoid or someone else updates the script in this OXP, it's not going to work with 1.82.

I'd also suggest completely removing that part of the script, and just defining the shipdata to have a larger cargo bay.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Moreover, the Vortex also introduces problems when scooping cargo, and that even if it only is installed instead of flown:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=243594#p243594

I support the idea to replace the cargo bay system by a normal cargo capacity, because it's what causes by far the least work. As this makes the Vortex more powerful (ability to accept cargo contracts ?) and less annoying (no need to switch), reduce it to something like 100TC ?

Also, can someone who has flown the Vortex and not just attempted to understand its code like me answer me a question: Are the missile bays actually switchable in flight like the documentation says, or do they rather just add a queue of filled pylons on top of the main pylons such as the APRIL reloader does (which is said to inherit the Vortex' code) ? For instance, say one bay contains only Q-bombs, and another one contains only ECM hardened missiles. Does it allow to switch to the one with missiles, and after firing back to the bombs ?

I'd also like to point out that the missile defence screen will not work against some types of "missiles" which are more dangerous than the 2 types in the core (basic and ECM hardened missile) - notably the thargoid Kamikaze Orbiters from TCAT, since oolite does not consider those "missiles" (via entity.isMissile). If oolite's behavior of entity.isMissile has changed, this may not be intended.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Also, can someone who has flown the Vortex and not just attempted to understand its code like me answer me a question: Are the missile bays actually switchable in flight like the documentation says, or do they rather just add a queue of filled pylons on top of the main pylons such as the APRIL reloader does (which is said to inherit the Vortex' code) ? For instance, say one bay contains only Q-bombs, and another one contains only ECM hardened missiles. Does it allow to switch to the one with missiles, and after firing back to the bombs ?
Yes the multi-bay missiles work as advertised. You can have one bay with non-weapon survey probes, one bay with Q-bombs, and the other bays with actual missiles, which you keep as the active bay unless you specifically want to use a variant. Then you don't accidentally fire a useless missile in a fight.

I was going to suggest a 100t normal cargo bay for the Vortex, but now seeing you write it too it seems too obvious. I'm going to suggest 97t just to irritate the neatness freaks who think all numbers are multiples of ten. 97 is a prime I'm guessing...

Just checked, it is.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Hmmmmm... as a vortex fanatic, I find that 1.82 breaks the cycling of the missiles and cargo bays. :(
Guess I won't be upgrading for a while... too bad.... back to the void unless something new comes along.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Hmmmmm... as a vortex fanatic, I find that 1.82 breaks the cycling of the missiles and cargo bays. :(
Any idea why, how? Has there been some change to the missile array in Oolite 1.82? Anyone?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Wildeblood wrote:
Any idea why, how? Has there been some change to the missile array in Oolite 1.82? Anyone?
These issues might be to blame:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#p232177
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17847
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

22/02/2018 - Version 1.31, various script tweaks for oolite 1.82.
- Added "use strict" in the some scripts.
- Edited name of the cargo type for new spelling.
- Changed low energy limit for emergency displacement activating (from 33 to 64(Vortex) and to 128(Maelstrom)) due to small effect of previous displacement with high amount equipment damage.

https://app.box.com/s/tlav7anpe3ggahyqr9a16ln0xzoshamf
Zafrusteria
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zafrusteria »

I just got some time to get back to exploring Oolite again. There goes my life :D. I tried out the Vortex OXP version1.30 and I'm running Oolite 1.88. The ship is great apart from not being able to change cargo bays more than once.

From a clean start, pressing shift, and while docked using the f5 f8 I get to change to the next or previous bay. But only once. I can change happily between missile bays.
If I "End game and return to menu" then reload I can change to another bay but only once.

I get a similar affect when in space. I can only change cargo bays once.

Do I need a maintenance overhaul for the cargo system on my new ship. I took out the extra one year parts and labour warranty.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Zafrusteria wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:35 pm
From a clean start, pressing shift, and while docked using the f5 f8 I get to change to the next or previous bay. But only once. I can change happily between missile bays.
Testing this feature. Its work. Press the button f5 - 2 time, then f8. You get screen for select missile or cargo bay.

Perhaps, may be error. need more detail for fix(step-by step, what screen, from, to).
Zafrusteria
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zafrusteria »

[/quote]
Perhaps, may be error. need more detail for fix(step-by step, what screen, from, to).
[/quote]

Run or execute Oolite
Use the cursor up and down keys to to select load a commander
Press return to select the load commander option
Use the cursor up and down keys to highlight the name for a commander to load
Press return to load the highlighted commander.
This takes me to the initial F5 screen
Press F5 F8
Use the cursor up and down keys to to select next (bay 2)
Press return
This will take me to bay 2 and leaves the option to select next (bay 3) highlighted. The text on the highlighted option changes from (bay 2) to (bay 3)
If I press return again on the already highlighted option for next (bay 3) I get taken to back to the initial F5 screen. It does not change to cargo bay 3
At this point no matter what I do on returning to the initial F5 screen and pressing F5 F8, then selecting either next or previous takes me back to the initial F5 screen.

I can also see that the cargo bay is not being changed after the first time. By looking at the F8 market screen. There is some text displayed to say which it the bay being displayed, "Current Bay - 2" etc. and the volumes of cargo do not change after the first attempt to change cargo bays.

To fix the problem.
Press F2
I see the menu with the option Quick save highlighted.
If I press return to select the highlighted option quick save option
It will save the game.
Again returning me to the initial F5 screen
Press F2
Use the cursor up and down keys to select exit game
Press return on the highlighted option for exit game.
This will exit the game.
Go back to the beginning, that is run or execute Oolite. The next bay option will work again but only once as detailed above. I cannot change bays twice or more times without fist saving and exiting the game.

Missile bays do cycle though okay.
From the beginning again that is run or execute Oolite.
Run or execute Oolite
Use the cursor up and down keys to to select load a commander
Press return to select the load commander option
Use the cursor up and down keys to to highlight the name for a commander to load
Press return to load the highlighted commander.
Press F5 F8
Use the cursor up and down keys to to highlight Switch to missile screen
Press return to load the highlighted option and go to the missile screen
Use the cursor up and down keys to to highlight Next (bay 2)
Press return to use highlighted option Next (bay 2)
This switches to the next missile bay the text at the top of the screen will say the Currently you have missile bay 2 selected. And the missile types below in the five slots changes to show The contents of bay2.
This I can repeat and using the same procedure, that is
Use the cursor up and down keys to to highlight Next (bay 3)
Press return to use highlighted option Next (bay 3)
I will move to view bay 3 and so on for all 5 bays. when i have set the current bay to be (bay 5) the Next option changes from Next (bay 5) to Next (bay 1). I can keep doing that all day. I can l buy next missiles are required for each bay.

I can also repeatedly use the Previous (bay N) option to back to a previous bay and cycle around as required.

I cannot do that with the cargo bay. I can only change to the next or previous bay once before having to save the commander, exit the game and then reload the game before reloading the commander again.

There are no error messages on the screen. That is why I did not report any error messages. If there is a message log let me know where it will be found and I will gladly post that for you. I am running on GNU Linux, Ubuntu 18.04 fully updated. With a locally installed copy of Oolite in my $HOME directory. It is currently installed into $HOME/GNUstep/... I am the only user to use the machine.

Ta! :)
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Zafrusteria wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:38 pm
Run or execute Oolite
I checked with Vortex v1.30. Yes, its has bug.

Deleted this version and install last tweak version: https://app.box.com/s/tlav7anpe3ggahyqr9a16ln0xzoshamf (22/02/2018 - Version 1.31, for Oolite 1.82 and more). I am tested its in the Oolite 1.84. Its work.

How version the Oolite you use?
Feedback me, after test wth Vortex v1.31.
Zafrusteria
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zafrusteria »

[/quote]
How version the Oolite you use?
Feedback me, after test with Vortex v1.31.
[/quote]

I am using Oolite 1.88 and downloaded the updated Vortex v1.31. That is all working now :D I can cycle around the cargo bays next and previous. This was while docked and in flight. missile bays are also working.

Thank you.
DavidG
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DavidG »

New to the vortex, and loving it so far - a definite step up from my Falcon! I've just noticed, and I don't recall if it always did it, that firing the lasers also reduces my energy banks, at quite an appreciable rate! Definitely not getting shot as I'm Condition Green! Shields are full and only damage is currently Naval Energy Unit. I'll repair that and test again, but for a ship with 8 banks i'm getting battered more in this than the Falcon, and this would explain it!

Or is this the trade off for a powerful ship?

Dave
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

DavidG wrote:
firing the lasers also reduces my energy banks, at quite an appreciable rate!
Does the Vortex have turrets? They could play a part, I think, if they're implemented.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

phkb wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:37 am
Does the Vortex have turrets? They could play a part, I think, if they're implemented.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe most turrets actually got their own energy and recharge rate assigned and therefore shouldn't affect the ship energy banks.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.