Vortex OXP (plus the Maelstrom)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Vortex OXP (plus the Maelstrom)

Post by Thargoid »

Anyway, back to the OXP itself.

I just uploaded v1.26. Just a minor adjustment in the script to mirror the changes I made in the military injectors OXP (these two ships have them build-in as integral kit, although here they are the full military version and not the civil semi-military ones).

Download via the links below as normal.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And same again for v1.27 just uploaded. Strips out the velocity boost from the military injectors, to prevent the ships occasionally flying backwards.

Download via the links below as normal.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Version 1.30 is now available via box. It needs Oolite 1.77, and gives a few tweaks and updates to make use of the new functionality that it gives, such as improved display for the cargo table and availability of ship systems via the F4 screen.

Download is via the box or wiki links below as normal.
slomoe
Competent
Competent
Location: At The Edge, Looking Down Listening To The Winds Of Limbo Roar

Post by slomoe »

Thargoid,

Finally got to buy a vortex, haven't got to try it out for very long but I seem to be having trouble cycling the cargo bays while in flight, it's pretty self evident while in the station how to cycle the bays to fill them. I like how you can get to the missle bays also does this automatically work in space? I mean can you fire one missle from one bay then cycle to another missle in another bay? in some of the posts it seemed that it may do it automatic, as in if you fired all five missles it would rotate to the next bay or if you were scooping cargo and you filled one bay it would rotate to the next empty one. I tried the f5 f5 f8 but it did not seem to work and I can't remember how to cycle thur the missles any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

When you're docked, F5 --> F8 (or 5 --> 8) should take you to the cargo bays screen, from where you can go to the missile bays screen via the menu.

When in flight, F5 --> F5 --> F8 (or 5 --> 5 --> 8) will take you to the missile bays screen, and from there you can go to the cargo bays screen again via the menu (it's designed to go to the more relevant screen depending if you're docked or not, but you can go to/from missile bays to cargo via the menu).

And when in flight, if your current missile bay empties and you have missiles in another bay, it should automatically cycle from the empty one to the next one containing at least one item.

At least that's how it's designed to work, and how it works on my machine ;)
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Thargoid wrote: And when in flight, if your current missile bay empties and you have missiles in another bay, it should automatically cycle from the empty one to the next one containing at least one item.

Correct in what he says but here is what can really happen (I know from hard experience):
In the heat of battle, you have 3 bays of hardened missiles, 1 bay of extra fuel and 1 bay of qbombs.. you hurried through the first 3 bays, forgot that the others were for emergencies and so you continue only to see nothing happening for the first five shots as you are deploying your extra fuel and then when you toggle the final bay, you find yourself too close to the enemy and press space commander.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
In the heat of battle, you have 3 bays of hardened missiles, 1 bay of extra fuel and 1 bay of qbombs.. you hurried through the first 3 bays, forgot that the others were for emergencies and so you continue only to see nothing happening for the first five shots as you are deploying your extra fuel and then when you toggle the final bay, you find yourself too close to the enemy and press space commander.
<chortles> Contained therein is a lesson, methinks.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Aye, it was a very painful lesson... I do not use escape pods at all. Another lesson well learnt that you will never use my now gainfully employed courier compadre:
With the 5 cargo bays, I can stuff 4 of them with illegals and keep the 5th for legal commodities and galcop is non the wiser when I boost out of a station showing only the 5th bay as my legal cargo.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
... now gainfully employed courier compadre...
Quicksilver Messenger Service - we always deliver! Well - except when Oolite crashes whilst on final approach to the destination station.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
slomoe
Competent
Competent
Location: At The Edge, Looking Down Listening To The Winds Of Limbo Roar

Post by slomoe »

It works yippee :wink: Thanks everybody :P this is an awesome ship 8)

@Yah-Ta-Hey I will remember your painful lesson along with the hidden illegal stash that works rather well :!:

This ship is a killing machine I love it :lol: Of course this is a split off of my main commander, witch still has his cobra mIII :oops: Maybe after some time flying it with my alter ego commander I may switch to it permanently thanks again :mrgreen:
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

When hunting for scalps... keep 1 bay empty or partially full for the scoops that you will undertake from your dearly departed brethern. Also the micro jump feature is a life saver, so when attacking.. go all in and make your long lances count coup and when you get shirld critical.. your vortex will save itself and you. Have a long and successful rampage through the galaxy and let us hear of your galactic mischiefs.
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Is the anti-missile system the two turrets on the sides? Or else what are the two bumps near the mouth-like opening in front that I assume is the scoop? I had an earlier version, but I lost that with my saves on my old netbook, and it was a long time ago so I don't remember. Also, how hard would it be to modify the ship? I like the ship, but think the bay switching might be unnecessary for my use. Also, removing it from my personal version if I download it might better balance it and make it less complicated.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The two bumps are the forward facing turrets - the anti-missile system is "virtual" in that it doesn't feature on the model itself.

Modifying the ship script-wise would be quite a challenge unless you're a coder. The ship script is deliberately quite modular, but trying to remove the cargo bays would be tricky as they tie into quite a few places (and are necessarily inter-woven with the missile bays). So it may be simpler to just not use them if that's all you want to remove.
blitalik
Harmless
Harmless

Post by blitalik »

I used Vortex OXP with Oolite 1.80 and it worked more or less fine there (less, because the ship moves out of the center when rolling, so manual docking in rotating stations or rock hermits is a little bit difficult).

But with Oolite 1.82 the cargo-system has a malfunction. Some cargo (but not all) keeps visible to the system (is still displayed in the status-screen F5), when I switch to another cargo bay. Also in the cargo bay table (F5 + F8) those cargo is not displayed at all. If I switch to another cargo bay those cargo appears in the new bay an the amount of cargo stored there is reduced to keep the 30 ton restriction per bay. For instance I had 22 tons liquor/wines in bay 3 and 20 tons furs in bay 4. Then I switched to bay 4. The result is, that there are only 8 tons of furs and the 22 tons liquor/wines from bay 3. In the moment of switching the value of furs changes from 20 to 8 and the liquor/wines are not displayed in the bay table (the value for all five bays is 0), but at the market screen (F8). I sold the liquor/wine. Then all was fine. But as soon as I bought it again, the problem was back.
moewe
Poor
Poor
Location: Berlin/Germany, Rich Industrial, Corporate State, TL 13

Post by moewe »

Hello,
just finished Thargoid Plans, found a Vortex for sale, equipped my new baby with nice little thingies and startet to kick some asses. Great fun!
But I encountered a problem with the cargo bay:
It seems like I only can switch the bay two times. After that it won't switch anymore until I quit and open the game again.
After the first switch the Cargo Manifest Screen stays and shows all options correctly and the correct cargo bay is available in the F8-menu (Commodity Market).
After the second switch it jumps to the F5-screen. In the F8-menu still the correct bay is selected.
Switching the third time it jumps again to F5-screen, but in the F8-menu the bay hasn't switched.
This stays until I restart the game.

Any ideas?

The missile-bays react correctly btw.

thanx.