Beginner's Javascript book $9.99 on sale

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr James wrote:
Oddly though, I think kg is the SI unit for mass, so a million kilos should be expressed as 1Mkg shouldnt it? that is just so odd it makes me feel weird thinking about it.
Actually not.

Yes, the kg is the SI unit for mass, however it's the only SI base unit which has already a prefix as part of its name. Several prefixes may not be concatenated within the name or symbol for a unit of measure. Therefore you would have to recur to the gram, and a million kilos would be 1 Gg.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I love this thread - a java book sale -> US credit issues -> Cr v US$ -> SI units...

Fantastic. 8) :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Just to back up to the $/Cr exchange rate for a moment: if we use food prices as the basis of the economy, since demand is pretty much universal, and if we base our prices on the potato – and if we further assume that there is a general approximation between 1 T of food in the game and 1 tonne of potatoes – then an average food price of 4.4Cr/T and a current average potato price of around $250/tonne implies that 1Cr = $57 or thereabouts. That puts the Cobra III's base price at $8,550,000. That at least gets it into the realms of possibility as something an individual could think about buying, or at least financing (although still pretty expensive compared to the costs of – admittedly second-hand – merchant shipping on sale here).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Credit - US$ conversions are quite dubious. And I think you must not take current values, but the values from 1984 when the game was first released. At that time Braben & Bell have probably looked at real world values when choosing their own numbers. I work with gold in RL so that is the first commodity I always look at. Historical data for precious metals can be obtained at kitco.
Probably a coincidence but the average for that year for Gold and Platinum were almost identical: 360 $/ounce for gold and 356 $/ounce for platinum. That makes one wonder why platinum was chosen twice as valuable in Elite?

Both would have cost about 11500 US$/kg in 1984. So based on gold one credit would have been $ 288 when the game was released. Based on platinum it is just half as much.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Interesting charts on kitco... do you know which is actually the rarer metal... gold or platinum? My guess would be platinum.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

El Viejo wrote:
Interesting charts on kitco... do you know which is actually the rarer metal... gold or platinum? My guess would be platinum.
Platinum is much, much rarer. The amount of Gold, stored in banks is many times the annual production, while platinum is often "consumed" immediately.

Result of this is that platinum price reacts completely different on economics than gold. At the start of our recent financial crisis, the automobile production collapsed. A large portion of the produced platinum goes into catalysts for car exhausts. So because of dropping demands, the price of platinum was halved in a year. While gold rose strongly in that period because the financial marked lose thrust in currencies like dollar and euro and bought gold.

I never understood why they never bought Platinum because it was clear that Platinum would rise to its old value after the crisis. And it has doubled already in the past 18 months. (I made the big mistake of buying just 200 grams Pt instead of putting all of my savings into it :wink: )
Last edited by Eric Walch on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Eric Walch wrote:
Credit - US$ conversions are quite dubious. And I think you must not take current values, but the values from 1984 when the game was first released. At that time Braben & Bell have probably looked at real world values when choosing their own numbers. I work with gold in RL so that is the first commodity I always look at. Historical data for precious metals can be obtained at kitco.
Probably a coincidence but the average for that year for Gold and Platinum were almost identical: 360 $/ounce for gold and 356 $/ounce for platinum. That makes one wonder why platinum was chosen twice as valuable in Elite?

Both would have cost about 11500 US$/kg in 1984. So based on gold one credit would have been $ 288 when the game was released. Based on platinum it is just half as much.
I doubt very much if they looked at real values at all ... back in those dim and distant pre-Google days, they'd have had to look such things up in a book or a copy of the Financial Times! :shock: Much easier just to make them up instead. Especially since the commodity names ("Food", "Textiles", "Ores", etc.) embrace potentially huge numbers of actual stuff.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I love this thread - a java book sale -> US credit issues -> Cr v US$ -> SI units...

You can't beat a good ol' fashioned hijacking. Image
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Darkbee wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:

You can't beat a good ol' fashioned hijacking. Image
Except with a multiple hijacking and back-hijacking (which is what this thread has undergone). :wink:
Cody

Post by Cody »

On the subject of metals, aluminium seems to make very accurate clocks.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Has anyone bought the book?

Just asking. :roll:
Darkbee
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Darkbee wrote:
Has anyone bought the book?

Just asking. :roll:
Well, I really, really was about to do just that, then discovered I had to use a credit card, and then this topic derailed :lol:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Rxke wrote:
...then discovered I had to use a credit card, and then this topic derailed :lol:
Don't get started on credit cards... :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

*CIRCULAR THREAD ALERT* :shock:
Darkbee
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Smivs wrote:
Rxke wrote:
...then discovered I had to use a credit card, and then this topic derailed :lol:
Don't get started on credit cards... :roll:
Yes, let's keep this on topic. If you want to discuss credit cards, I suggest you go over here.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt