Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

commander jameson - did the story continue?

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hangerhead
Poor
Poor

commander jameson - did the story continue?

Post by hangerhead »

I bought Elite for my BBC 32k. I didn't play straight away, but first, read the novella twice.

I have only recently discovered oolite and am curious if there were ever any official (or non-official) novels released about Cmdr Jameson.

I gather from some wiki info that 'he was a hero during the thargoid wars' and also, apparently disappeared in thargoid space, but i don't know if this is from a book, or simply the mythos.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

If you assume Frontier Elite 2 is 'canon', then Commander Jameson bit the dust in 3199 over a 'misunderstanding' in the Riedquat system, according to the Elite 2 Manual. You take on the role of one of his grandchildren in the year 3200.

We've 'kinda' worked out that Elite was set in the year 3125 and then pegged Oolite at 3142.

As to precisely what Commander Jameson got up to during his career, I'm unaware of any precise details, other than he left Lave station aboard a rather generic looking Cobra Mk3 with 100 credits to his name...

On the other hand, if you're wanting to know what happened in the run up to 3142, that's an entirely different story.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
hangerhead
Poor
Poor

Post by hangerhead »

drew, i found that novel earlier today, 180 pages yes?
very much enjoying it...and the fond 'nods' at bbc b, amiga, commodore, etc. ta.

i was looking if there were any novellas about jameson's role in thargoid wars or...anything after the novel that came with the original BBC 'game' cough.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I must admit I'm not aware of any I'm afraid, though I'm far from the most knowledgeable on here! I don't think anyone has written a direct sequel to 'The Dark Wheel' - though the hero in that story wasn't Commander Jameson, it was Alex Ryder.

Glad you're enjoying my stories.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Of course somebody could always write what happened to Jameson during the Thargoid War. If somebody was first, and everybody liked it, you've got yourself woven into E/Oolite mythos...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
hangerhead
Poor
Poor

Post by hangerhead »

kind of cool that the dark wheel novella is available in its entirety on Ian Bell's website
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Actually I am not aware of anything ever written about Commander Jameson.
hangerhead
Poor
Poor

Post by hangerhead »

it was a faulty memory on my part, i read the dark wheel 25 years ago, and now just assumed the name was jameson in the game and the novel, rather than just the game.

hmm, commander hangerhead doesn't really have that 'ring' about it does it.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

drew wrote:
If you assume Frontier Elite 2 is 'canon', then Commander Jameson bit the dust in 3199 over a 'misunderstanding' in the Riedquat system, according to the Elite 2 Manual. You take on the role of one of his grandchildren in the year 3200.

We've 'kinda' worked out that Elite was set in the year 3125 and then pegged Oolite at 3142.

As to precisely what Commander Jameson got up to during his career, I'm unaware of any precise details, other than he left Lave station aboard a rather generic looking Cobra Mk3 with 100 credits to his name...
So what's the 2084 in the in-game clock? I've always thought it's the year...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zireael wrote:
So what's the 2084 in the in-game clock? I've always thought it's the year...
It's not 2084, but 2084004, which is a number of days, obviously. So the number refers to a date 2084004 days (roughly 5700 years) in Oolite's past, which for some reason was chosen as the reference point for counting time. Wild mass guessing as to what happened at that date, and why it is so important for GalCop is welcomed. :D (Although I seem to remember that Aegidian (or possibly Ahruman) had an answer to that somewhere buried in a thread deep in the boards.)
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Where can I find Selezen's Oolite timeline mentioned in the Wiki?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Look here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

I would like to know what ever happened to the young trader in The Dark Wheel ; Alex Rider ?

His father's death is in the timeline mentioned, but nothing of his son .

Has anyone written anything about Alex Rider?
Maybe we should leave the Dark Wheel alone-its a perfect story:-) ?

So is someone going to have a crack at fleshing out Commander Jameson in a story - or have they already? Would be nice to see that 8) .
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

moscom wrote:
I would like to know what ever happened to the young trader in The Dark Wheel ; Alex Rider ?

His father's death is in the timeline mentioned, but nothing of his son .

Has anyone written anything about Alex Rider?
Maybe we should leave the Dark Wheel alone-its a perfect story:-) ?

So is someone going to have a crack at fleshing out Commander Jameson in a story - or have they already? Would be nice to see that 8) .
I wrote the follow up to the Dark Wheel back in 1987 - I was 16 - it was for my GCSE English - 37 double side of lined A4 - hand written and because it was course work I was given 39/40 for it but then it went off and I never saw it again (and it was my only copy)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
moscom
Above Average
Above Average

Post by moscom »

I wrote the follow up to the Dark Wheel back in 1987 - I was 16 - it was for my GCSE English - 37 double side of lined A4 - hand written and because it was course work I was given 39/40 for it but then it went off and I never saw it again (and it was my only copy)
:cry:

Never thought about giving it another go ? :) I for one would love to read the follow up to that story. 8) And i think it was you, mentioned; staking your place in elite/oolite mythos, with a commander Jameson story -- i am sure you couldnt get any more higher in the Mythos stakes (story-wise) than a direct Dark Wheel follow up. 8)