Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Assassins question [spoiler alert]

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Assassins question [spoiler alert]

Post by maik »

I'm currently playing around being an assassin in G7. My current task is to find a ship that orbits a repair facility and destroy it. I'm wondering how to survive and how to find it once I'm in the system.

When I enter the system the Kraits are already aware I'm an assassin (thanks, brothers). I ignore them and fuel inject to the Black Monks who shoot me with their cannons (despite my clean status!) but still let me dock. I refuel and repair and leave again, fuel injecting towards the repair facility.

I get relatively close but there are dozens and dozens of Kraits and seemingly even more orbiting ships. How can I find the right one without inspecting each and every one? How can I shake off the Kraits to survive long enough to find the right ship?

What other tactic works?

Cheers,
-Maik
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

How about Q-mining them? :twisted:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Just found a way: get in quick, strike hard, and get out fast :D

I stopped buying Q-Mines a long time ago. So far there always was a solution involving only conventional weapons :twisted:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Right on Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

yup, straight for the jugular. that's probably the most exiting/scary exhilarating oolite moment i've had, i think. Isn't there another 'controller' ship or something too? I seem to remember one.
fair play to the writer of that mission.
awesome.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Yep, there is a sub mission involving a controller ship and Griff Industries--that's where I'm currently, trying to find the right approach for dealing with it :)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

maik wrote:
...Griff Industries...
high percentage alchohol will probably help :P
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I have a stupid question. Before I ask it: I must be somewhat retarded.

OK: I've had this OXP for months. The first mission was to ensure that Be Soin enjoys a "happy retirement" in his vintage Adder. So I saw him leave the station. Fly around on his little cruise. Then he went back again.

And that mission stays on my screen for months. And the other day, it hit me. "Duuuh, what if 'a happy retirement' was like a Mafia euphemism and I was meant to whack him when I had the chance?", I thought. So I returned to the system. But no sign of the vintage Adder. And I've been waiting outside this station for ages.

What did I do wrong, how do I make the Adder show again, and what symbol or letter does Be Soin's ship display as on the Advanced Compass?
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

You're not the only person to have this sort of problem ...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Pangloss wrote:
And the other day, it hit me. "Duuuh, what if 'a happy retirement' was like a Mafia euphemism and I was meant to whack him when I had the chance?", I thought.
I won't call you retarded. I just humbly suggest that the name of the OXP (Assassins) and the name and nature of the organization who hired you (The Assassins' Guild) could have given you a clue. :wink:

And as long as you haven't finished the mission and haven't removed the OXP, your target should be in the system every time you jump in. However, maybe the station is the wrong place to wait for him. As far as I remember I met him close to the extra planet or moon or what it is. Usually you just have to carefully read the assignment in order to establish where your target is going to be.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Disembodied wrote:
You're not the only person to have this sort of problem ...
YES! YES!!!

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

OK. I've hung around this system for hours. Flown back and forth to all the other planets away from the main station. And nothing.

Hypothetically: if I wanted to alter my oolite-save file to get the mission to start again, what would I change or remove? Hypothetically speaking, of course. (cough)

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Pangloss wrote:
Hypothetically: if I wanted to alter my oolite-save file to get the mission to start again, what would I change or remove? Hypothetically speaking, of course. (cough)
All missions start by setting: "mission_assassins" = "assassins_STAGEX". X is just a number. all subsequent numbers within the mission have a lowercase character attached. In your case its probably a matter of changing it from "assassins_STAGE1a" to "assassins_STAGE1".

This also allows to replay any of the missions you did in the past.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Eric Walch wrote:
Pangloss wrote:
All missions start by setting: "mission_assassins" = "assassins_STAGEX". X is just a number. all subsequent numbers within the mission have a lowercase character attached. In your case its probably a matter of changing it from "assassins_STAGE1a" to "assassins_STAGE1".

This also allows to replay any of the missions you did in the past.
I checked, and it was STAGE1. I tried changing it to STAGE0 but that didn't prompt anything either. I think I need to take the OXP out of the AddOn folder, erase anything on the oolite-save file, do something to ensure a re-write of the file (fly to a nearby system / dock / save), then add the OXP again, restart the game, and fly back. See if that makes any difference.

So in that 'hypothetical' case (cough, cough), do I delete anything with ASSASSIN in the line, or is there just a whole section I delete, or are there lines AND sections?

And the other planet he flies to ...is it the one that looks like a volcanic moon, or the one that looks like the ice planet Hoth??!!?

Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Pangloss wrote:
I checked, and it was STAGE1......

And the other planet he flies to ...is it the one that looks like a volcanic moon, or the one that looks like the ice planet Hoth??!!?
When it is STAGE1, its the very first value that the variable uses after installation of assassins.

The ship will be heading for the main planet and dock there at any station. So you could also just wait there until she arrives.
Whenever the ship manages to dock unnoticed, a new one will added as soon as you launch, so it should be there always somewhere.

One problem could be that you have also an oxp installed that adds extra moons/planets. In that case it could always be possible that the target is added inside such an extra moon/planet when both happens to be at the same position.