Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New model utilities

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

This page in the wiki shows how to do something similar in GIMP's bevel tool, plus the mirror trick too (thankfully without any smoke) ;)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thanks Thargoid - I think I may have seen that some time ago but had forgotten where - annoying that it was actually on the wiki! D'Oh!

Will have a play.

Thanks all.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
idolknight
Average
Average

Post by idolknight »

Thargoid wrote:
This page in the wiki shows how to do something similar in GIMP's bevel tool, plus the mirror trick too (thankfully without any smoke) ;)
Thats a really good tutorial, I think I might give that ago.
||)()|_ - It needs more Cowbell....
Qfwfq
Harmless
Harmless

Re: New model utilities

Post by Qfwfq »

[quote="aegidian"]

Three Python scripts and three Mac OS X drag-n-drop applications generated from the scripts. The apps or scripts are used to convert models from one format to another.

[...]
--------

Nice work, Aegidian!

I am just trying to understand how to expand Oolite, and I started (of course) creating a (horrible) ship. I'm planning to learn more about OXPs.

Being a debian user, I had no problem using your scriptObj2DatTex.py.

A good idea would be to write a Wings3D pluggin to export a model to Oolite.
I mean, directly creating a .dat, .png and (part of) shipdata.list files. This would be useful for placing flashers and exhausts, for example. Or maybe a Blender pluggin. You know, pluggins in Blender are written using Python.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New model utilities

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Qfwfq, and first of all welcome to the boards, and of course to this great game! :D
Qfwfq wrote:
Nice work, Aegidian!
Sadly our Master and Commander (aka Aegidian, aka Giles) has left his creation and these forums about two years ago. Although he does drop in occasionally, and therefore may see your acknowledgement.

But he is no longer involved in any development related to Oolite. However, we are still a thriving comOonity, because fortunately some other guys took over from him. Currently our lead developer and Supreme Grand Admiral is Ahruman, and he even has a Quite Grand Sub-Admiral or two. :wink:
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

idolknight wrote:
Hi, I have been trying to use "Dat2ObjTex" using the method you said, But I just get a error...
pardon me, but I do not understand how to use this dat2objtex tool... there is no documentation about it... its not even an executable file! (.py???)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

aceshigh wrote:
pardon me, but I do not understand how to use this dat2objtex tool... there is no documentation about it... its not even an executable file! (.py???)
It's a Python script, for Python 2.x (the general version is not compatable with version 3.x). If you have Python installed, you can use it from a shell/DOS prompt (not a Python command line) on an .obj file generated by Wings3D or Blender etc to convert it into a .dat file that Oolite can read.
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

Thargoid wrote:
aceshigh wrote:
It's a Python script, for Python 2.x (the general version is not compatable with version 3.x). If you have Python installed, you can use it from a shell/DOS prompt (not a Python command line) on an .obj file generated by Wings3D or Blender etc to convert it into a .dat file that Oolite can read.
oh, I thought it was the inverse... dat to obj (i want to convert standart models to Sketchup, and then modify them on Sketchup and export back to Oolite)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

There are two scripts, one going each way ;) Same comments apply to both though, as they're both Python scripts.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Can anyone tell me what scripts Dat2obj, dat2objtex etc and where I can find them? Also any recommendations for python on windows. Nice and simple please - I hate python.
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

Those scripts do pretty much what they're named for: convert Oolite's .dat to obj and so on.. You can find them by the link in first post.

As for the python, well, can't guess anything but this
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The scripts are for Python 2.x, so don't go for a 3.x install (the link in the previous post is fine).

And then just stick the script file in the same directory as the obj or dat file you want to convert and from a dos/terminal/whatever prompt (depending on what flavour of OS you're using - but not a Python shell prompt) use either obj2dat.py <filename.obj> or dat2obj.py <filename.dat>. For O2D you should have the materials (.mtl) and texture file in the same place too, just to keep things simple.

You should then end up with a file that either Oolite or Wings3D etc can inhale, and a bit smile on your face ;)
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

I think I garbled my question. My problem is I can't find the scripts. Not even on your Wiki, Thargoid. But thanks for the tip about Python versions.
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

You still can't find 'em? Not even by this link I posted earlier?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Capt. Slog, in case you're still flummoxed: right click the name of the script you want then 'save as' - you probably just want the .py scripts. The .app files are for macs only.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)