Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Pioneer

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Re: Pioneer Alpha 10 promotion :)

Post by Geraldine »

:oops: Goodness, how did I miss that! Many thanks Steve! 8)
Just to find "Stories Of Life On The Frontier" & (A long shot I know) "Secrets Of Frontier Elite II" By Tony Dillion in pdf form.
Map now added to the archive here http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft ... r_PC_v1.01
Also included is a Frontier Elite II based comic that was created by Archamedes from the Frontier forum. Parts 1 to 4 are there with a part 5 to follow at a later date. Have a look at this thread for more info http://www.spacesimcentral.com/forum/vi ... =47&t=2767
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

I really hope D1 improves the download section of SSC soon. It seems really limited, compared to the old version. :(

Anyway, the best I can do with SOLOTF is here but it's in html, not pdf. You can use Calibre to convert it though.
FrontierAstro - dedicated to Elite, Frontier and Astronomy
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Steve wrote:
I really hope D1 improves the download section of SSC soon. It seems really limited, compared to the old version. :(
I hear you! I much preferred the old site, but here is some good news, he will be updating the download section very soon! :D
And thanks for the link (the FFE stuff is very useful), but I am really looking for scans of SOLOTF that have been converted as there was artwork that accompanied each story. I could scan my own book but could I use Calibre to convert it to a pdf?
Geraldine
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

This has the pictures included. If I was doing this myself I would copy the text of the stories into something like Open Office and then add the scanned pictures to the file and use OO's "export as pdf" feature.
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

Steve! Your a star! I will get to work on this tomorrow. Many thanks! 8)
One more question though. :oops: I have the "Secrets" book and I might be able to get hold of a scanner. Would OO, if I scan all the pages, be able to convert that into a pdf?
Geraldine
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

Crumbs, I'm not an expert on any of this :lol:

The scanner would produce a picture file, presumably. So you could insert each page of "Secrets" into a text document in OO and then get it to produce the pdf file.

The only problem is that it wouldn't be a "true" pdf book ie. the reader couldn't use the search function to pick out words or phrases. To produce this, you would need some kind of OCR software on the scanner which would convert the scanned words into text rather than a jpg.

But I could be wrong :oops:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

you are quite right.

btw for ocr, try to scan @ 400 dpi, 256steps grayscale. gives best results
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There are sites online where you can upload image PDFs for OCR. I've used http://www.onlineocr.net/ before and – although the resulting text needed a bit of tidying up – I can't complain. You need to register to get the full functionality, but it's free. (Top tip for scanning: try and avoid scanning things like running heads and page numbers! :roll: )
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

Thanks guys for all al info! :wink:
If I can get it into a legible form, I will add it to that FE2 archive I linked to earlier. Oh and sorry for being off topic :mrgreen:
Geraldine
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Geraldine wrote:
Oh and sorry for being off topic :mrgreen:
Going off topic is a rite of passage here :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Pioneer's Drift

Post by Diziet Sma »

If you run Windows, you should check out FreeOCR. It can open scanned PDF files and perform OCR on them, has Twain & WIA scanning capabilities, and does other neat tricks.. I use it for all my OCR work these days..

(And, as you may have guessed.. it's free!)
Free OCR is a document scanning software including the Windows compiled Tesseract free ocr engine also known as a Tesseract GUI. It includes a Windows installer and It is very simple to use and supports opening multi-page tiff documents, Adobe PDF and fax documents as well as most image types including compressed Tiff's which the Tesseract engine on its own cannot read .It now can scan using Twain and WIA scanning drivers.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Pioneer's Drift" at "Oolite Bulletins". This topic has received a reply
since your last visit.
:lol: :lol:

I was going: Huh? A thread about Pioneer one's speed anomaly or something? ? On Oolite BB? When did I subscribe to that?
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

Thats SOLOTF.pdf uploaded! Many thanks Steve. Now to investigate the "Secrets" book :D

Oh, the thread name has changed! I only just noticed! :lol: Guess that is what I get for de-railing it :oops:
Geraldine
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

Great work!!

I've converted the stories to Kindle format; though not perfectly. No matter what I try, Calibre won't generate a table of contents :cry:

EDIT: Ha! Cracked it! Should have a Kindle version ready in the next day or so :D
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Steve wrote:
Great work!!

I've converted the stories to Kindle format; though not perfectly. No matter what I try, Calibre won't generate a table of contents :cry:

EDIT: Ha! Cracked it! Should have a Kindle version ready in the next day or so :D
How??? Been trying to sort out TOC creation myself.

On another note... I've downloaded all the MIDI tracks (from LOTF) and the computer is currently converting them to OGG format. If anyone is interested I'll see what I can do about putting them into an OXP for random in-game/docking music.

(Unless someone has already done that. A bit new to the scene so I haven't been able to check what is available fully.)