Pioneer

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Pioneer Alpha 10 promotion :)

Post by Rxke »

Pioneer is still VERY much in an alpha-state, don't judge it for 'details' like joystick support ;-)
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well, alpha or not, the only way a game can be "judged" (if that's what we are actually doing) is by what is there and how well it works. I try not to be judgemental in a negative way about games, especially open source projects and to focus mostly on what is good about them. It's easy to be a critic, but a more rewarding challenge to be honestly encouraging.

However, even though my comment about joystick support was more of a "not there yet" and one reason why I didn't play Pioneer much even though it was very pretty.. In the interests of fairness, I checked the Pioneer development page and found out joystick support was added the version immediately after the version I tried months ago.

So I downloaded and compiled what is described as "This is the latest and greatest development and is quite unstable." Then I took it out for a night's worth of test flying.

First thing I'll say is that for all that it might be "unstable", it didn't CTD or lock up or even stutter. Ran like a top. Joystick is a little glitchy, but nothing un-flyable and I configured it fairly easy via in-game utilities. It flies well. Smooth, nice flow, feels good.

The scenery is still spectacular, and they've added some to that with more colour and texture diversity and planets with atmosphere having at least some appearance of a cloud layer you pass through and etc. Looks like a lot of work has been done on stations, landing bays and cities. Nice eye candy. Very very nice. Everything worked at least reasonably well, so far as i could tell. What was there.. worked. It looks like a *lot* of development has happened between the version I first ran and the current Alpha12 I ran last night. Stations, docking bay and sequences, cities, they all showed quite a lot of improvement and were looking pretty darned good. The control panel looked much nicer. Some might consider that trivial, but from a player POV, it's one of the things you spend the most time looking at, and it's nice to see that it got some attention during development. Menu layouts, displays, sounds, control panels, dialog.. They're all things that are easy to trivialise because they're relatively simple to dress up and they usually aren't a high priority for developers compared to big things with the game engine and graphics capabilities, but to the player they largely *are* the game. If they aren't reasonably good, a lot of players may never stick around long enough to appreciate the work that went into the physics, the AI, or the gameplay dynamics. The player interface is how they see the game world, and it should look good and be easy to use. Back to the point, there was a nice degree of development there to see and use.

Areas where I won't say Pioneer is "bad", but still has yet to be developed are largely gameplay. While you can go anywhere and it looks really cool and handles quite well, they seem to still have a ways to go on the markets and other things for the player to actually do. It would be very hard to make enough credits with the starter ship for a new player to try new ships or gear in their foreseeable future as a character. It is mentioned in the Pioneer forums that this sort of development is "down the road a ways" yet, and it's not their focus *yet*. The current Alpha has a built in "money cheat" to allow people trying it to actually have some cash to try things and etc. So it's good, for what it is at this point.

Right now, I'd say it's sort of like seeing a set to what may someday be a really great movie. It's well underway so far as construction and you can see hints of what some amazing moments may possibly be like. But the story and the actors aren't there yet, much less the production. That should be understood by anyone taking a peek at it, because yes, it is an *alpha* project right now. I like what I see so far, though. If I didn't, it wouldn't have gotten a night of test-flying.

I don't see it as something to compare in a competitive way with Oolite, though. They're different games and at very different stages of development. Oolite has more fan/player support and more development going on than any open-source spacegame I know of. That results in it being simply one of the best spacegames available at this time. Any game, open-source or not, would have a long way to go before it actually begins to compete with that. Pioneer is showing great promise and may join Oolite in the ranks of "great space games" in years to come, but if Oolite keeps the momentum it has at present, it certainly won't have been standing still.

Besides, this is gaming, not a "Highlander" movie. If there ends up being more than one great space game, that just rocks. It's not a "There can be only one!" kind of situation. LOL
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Bump. Pioneer is now at Alpha 21. As my net is now able to lug those 170 MBs, I'm contemplating downloading it and giving it a spin.
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Woo! :shock: Tough crowd! :lol: But I am glad to see Pioneer getting some objective and constructive criticism. :wink:

It all helps to improve the game and yes Pioneer is still a ways behind Oolite, but given enough time (and enough contributions in the way for coding, models, missions and anything else people can dream up) perhaps that gap can be closed one day :)

Also saw some comments about making Pioneer like a Newtonian version of Oolite and vice versa. Perhaps both games can learn things from each other and we could get some cross development going on between the two. Certainly there is already some Oolite models that have appeared (as well as Russian FFE3D ones) in the game. Also with Alpha 22, a "mods" folder has made an appearance. So yes, there could be something like "PXPs" in the future. Certainly this was an inspired idea by the Oolite devs as it has helped (thanks to the Oolite community) make the game into one of the best space sims out there, so maybe that idea can work for Pioneer too.

Goodness knows why, but the Pioneer devs in their wisdom have decided to allow me to update Pioneer's presence on ModDB. Lots of info on the new build to be found there. Perhaps some of you could drop by and say hello?

Here is a link http://www.moddb.com/games/pioneer

Oh, and if I could make just one request for Oolite? It would be nice to have a Newtonian switch for that too! :mrgreen:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I wish I was back in college, then I would have time to truly check it out :(

It looks better every iteration 8)

but I have a gazillion other thing to do in RL :(

Heck, it's been months since I last fired up the ole savegame to play Oolite ! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Geraldine wrote:
Oh, and if I could make just one request for Oolite? It would be nice to have a Newtonian switch for that too! :mrgreen:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Selezen wrote:
Geraldine wrote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Geraldine
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Only noticed this now:
Geraldine's sig wrote:
Keeping The Faith For Elite IV Since 1997 :D

HAR! :lol: :lol:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Oolite and Pioneer are two games separated by a common heritage!

(With apologies to GBS)
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

yes, the wait for Elite IV, heehee!

IIRC, Giles started on Oolite because Pindler's version was pulled... Who wrote it because being fed up waiting for IV
Cody

Post by Cody »

Rxke wrote:
IIRC, Giles started on Oolite because Pindler's version was pulled... Who wrote it because being fed up waiting for IV
Sweet irony - fate moves in mysterious ways!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

Rxke wrote:
Was that Elite TNK? If so, its also in the SSC download area, but don't tell anybody :wink:

And yes I will always "keep the faith" :lol: Just another 20 years to go........................... :roll:
Geraldine
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Geraldine wrote:
Easy peasy. It already exists. Click here: links.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

SandJ wrote:
Geraldine wrote:
Easy peasy. It already exists. Click here: links.
:lol: Nice one SandJ! :lol:

Yea, Steve's site is great though :wink:

Which reminds me! I have been attempting to build a nice little archive of the PC 1.01 version of FE2 on the SSC. I have scans of mostly everything that came with it in the original box, but try as I may, I cant find a decent scan of the galaxy map. Does anyone know where I might find one?

I would like to do the same for Elite and FFE in the future too :D
Geraldine
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

Geraldine wrote:
I have scans of mostly everything that came with it in the original box, but try as I may, I cant find a decent scan of the galaxy map. Does anyone know where I might find one?
Have you seen this scan of the map at the Classic Amiga website? 8)
FrontierAstro - dedicated to Elite, Frontier and Astronomy