Yet another HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Yet another HUD

Post by Palmski »

I've been a very naughty boy; I have stolen from my betters and claimed it as my own.

I've taken bits of Trek HUD, MilHUD and GenericHUD and splurged them all together into something I've been thinking of doing for ages since I heard about the dynamic HUD switching.

Obviously then it's another mode switching HUD. I have all the artistic talent of your average half brick so I had to [ahem] borrow artwork from elsewhere, hence the name. I've also never done any OXP'ing before so I also had to [erm] nick, sorry reuse some scripts and plists from those who actually know what they are doing. I have added an enhancement or two of my own though - I dare anyone to find it though :twisted:

It's here if anyone wants to take a look. It's been put together on a 1680 x 1050 screen so I cannot say for sure what it'll look like on anything else, but if there is call for it I'll try and get some other resolutions working.

All credit for this should go to Killer Wolf, Wyvern, Thargoid and barabis, this is just something I've goofed around with for my own purposes but I thought I would put it up here to see if anyone else is interested or finds my additions to the scripts useful.

EDIT:
To note I've got a v0.2 available with some further goofy extra bits - electrical damage sound when condition critical and some additional animated bits being the gist of it.
Also to post screenshots:
Condition Green:

Condition Yellow:

Condition Red (note the faint red screen border flashes on and off):

Condition Critical OMGWTFBBQ (actual animation is stuttered):
Last edited by Palmski on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Scrrrrrreenshot! :D
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Nice job. that really works well.
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

@Rxke
Good point, I'll get something uploaded. :oops:

@Yodeebe
Thanks, I was interested to see what people would think of the animated damaged hud. It could be done with more sophistication of course (and I have a few ideas)...
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Yet another HUD

Post by maik »

Palmski wrote:
I've been a very naughty boy; I have stolen from my betters and claimed it as my own.

I've taken bits of Trek HUD, MilHUD and GenericHUD and splurged them all together into something I've been thinking of doing for ages since I heard about the dynamic HUD switching.

Obviously then it's another mode switching HUD. I have all the artistic talent of your average half brick so I had to [ahem] borrow artwork from elsewhere, hence the name. I've also never done any OXP'ing before so I also had to [erm] nick, sorry reuse some scripts and plists from those who actually know what they are doing. I have added an enhancement or two of my own though - I dare anyone to find it though :twisted:

It's here if anyone wants to take a look. It's been put together on a 1680 x 1050 screen so I cannot say for sure what it'll look like on anything else, but if there is call for it I'll try and get some other resolutions working.

All credit for this should go to Killer Wolf, Wyvern, Thargoid and barabis, this is just something I've goofed around with for my own purposes but I thought I would put it up here to see if anyone else is interested or finds my additions to the scripts useful.
Nice one, I just tested it. I especially like the brightened up circle around the cross-hairs!
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

maik wrote:
Nice one, I just tested it. I especially like the brightened up circle around the cross-hairs!
Lol, that wasn't me, that's from MilHUD. I agree it's very useful though!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Palmski wrote:
maik wrote:
Lol, that wasn't me, that's from MilHUD. I agree it's very useful though!
:lol: maybe I should test MilHUD as well.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

wow, that glitchy HUD looks mint!
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Thanks KW, wouldn't have been possible without your work though which I'm quite sure you recognise large chunks of!

I was thinking of trying to make the glitching transition a bit smoother by inserting an intermediate frame into the sequence, but with each frame in the animation as an entire HUD I'm not sure if it would be overkill or not. Meh, I can try it and see what happens I guess.

I was thinking it might also be nice to have a short buzzing static sound when the borked HUD comes up, again, too much? Could also be very annoying....

Lots of ideas but I'm thinking I'm rapidly getting into a sledgehammer/walnut situation ;)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cheers, but i just did the art, all the clever bits were Thargoid's JS scripts!

i like the idea of a crackly buzz, would probably go w/ the fact that other cockpit instrumentation would be glitching due to damage.
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Gnudoll »

I like it! Only problem is that my Linux system does not seem to load the docked hud at all. Probably a naming thing, as usual, but where would the bad name be?
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Thanks for the feedback. In the end I decided against using the docked HUD as it wasn't mine to start with, but clearly forgot to remove the image from the OXP. :oops:

If you want to use it just edit the Config/hud_docked.plist and add the following (as per the entry in genericHUD from whence the image came):

Code: Select all

<dict>
			<key>image</key>
			<string>generictradingHUD.png</string>
			<key>width</key>
			<real>640</real>
			<key>height</key>
			<real>480</real>
			<key>x</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>y</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>alpha</key>
			<real>1.00</real>
		</dict>
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Gnudoll »

Not wanting to use someone else's image in a HUD called Plagiarist. . . :P
Well, I put it back in and your hub has replaced my slightly hacked Generic as my very favorite HUD. The instruments on your console/panel are a bit small, but i find everything I need easily aned you give a great deal of info to work with. Very nice indeed. I'm using it at 1280x1024, BTW.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Palmski wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:32 pm
To note I've got a v0.2 available with some further goofy extra bits - electrical damage sound when condition critical and some additional animated bits being the gist of it.
All links broken. Added to List of Lost OXP's on the wiki.

Does anybody have a copy of this one?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?