Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Freeing slaves

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I have already started on a Free Slave OXP a while back (350-ish lines of code so far). Unfortunately not completed as RL is getting in the way.

I looked at Passenger Berth issues, scooped Escape Pod complications and decided to settle on this:

1) Slaves are only released in dock of a main station.

2) The slave pods of the disembarking slaves becomes 0.6 Machinery pods rounded down. A nice bonus.

3) Newly released slaves may not want to be release at the current location (default behaviour here is if the system is an Anarchy or Feudal world). If you keep them on board then they "live" in the slave pods they came in. The pods remain as slaves but they are added to a freed slave counter and will automatically leave at more hospitable location. If you leave a main station with freed slaves your legal status is reduced by the number of points you would have gained so you aren't penalized for releasing them yet still carrying them.

4) You have the option for giving them money when they disembark. The more money you give the higher the chance of having your legal status reduced a bit. (not added yet but I could also add a chance of a bonus from one of the anti-slavery organisations)

5) Also there is a chance that a released slave will request passage to a particular system with a reward from their family, clan, company, etc. Sometimes they will be tell you the truth sometimes not and then the reward if it does happen can vary wildly.

6) Some of the behaviours of this OXP are determined by functions registered with it. Such as when the slave don't wish to disembark, how often you get a request for passage, etc. There are some self registering functions that come with the OXP but you can disable them and register your own functions to change the OXP's behaviour.

Regards,

Phantor Gorth
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Sounds like you're well on the way PG - let's hope RL(tm) gives you a break at some point.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Illuminaughty
Average
Average

Post by Illuminaughty »

Wow!

Phantor Gorth's OXP sounds cool. Especially since my main dude, Commander Farhan lives in my imagination as a space opera version of Sinbad the Sailor.

"When we find a shipwrecked man on the seashore or on an island, we take him up and give him meat and drink, and if he be naked we clothe him, nor take we aught from him- nay, when we reach a port of safety, we set him ashore with a present of our own money and entreat him kindly and charitably, for the love of Allah the Most High." - Sinbad's Fourth Voyage.

Is there a thread where you can post half finished OXPs? Like Adopt an OXP, so if you run out of steam or real life gets in the way you don't feel like nobody will ever see your work.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I haven't abandoned it. I am moving home at the moment so my time for anything Oolite is almost non-existent. I will be able to return to it in early October.

Phantor Gorth