Realism regarding scooping attributes

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Killer Wolf wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Can the rate at which fuel is scooped and/or cargo collected be fiddled with/increased?

And by cargo collection rate I mean the position/ease at which the scoop starts pull in cargo - from what Eric says probably not because it relies on collision detection with the front of the ship.

I just suddenly had an image of a ship - a great big funnel on one side with fuel tanks and cargo bay behind it and a small cockpit with a mining laser mounted underneath, strapped to the side.

Basically a rock smashing, cargo hoovering, fuel sucking (in to storage tanks) scavenger.
or build a big one w/ a geet big power source and you could have a manmade black hole to annoy other ships w/!! :-D
Nah, somebody already thought of that (sort of)...

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Can the rate at which fuel is scooped and/or cargo collected be fiddled with/increased?

And by cargo collection rate I mean the position/ease at which the scoop starts pull in cargo - from what Eric says probably not because it relies on collision detection with the front of the ship.
Eric has already done this with his Scoop Positions.oxp—optimized scoop positions for the basic shipset in order to make cargo scooping smoother.

And the rate of fuel scooping while sunskimming depends only on your ship's speed. The faster you go, the faster the fuel is rolling in.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:

Eric has already done this with his Scoop Positions.oxp—optimized scoop positions for the basic shipset in order to make cargo scooping smoother.

And the rate of fuel scooping while sunskimming depends only on your ship's speed. The faster you go, the faster the fuel is rolling in.
I don't want to make cargo scooping smoother I wanted to consider the idea of making it easier with a purpose built ship, with that handwavium force field projected out from a big cone shaped scoop that pulled in pods (and fragments) from more tangential angles and/or greater speeds, and because I envisioned this to be a big slow ship it would substitute size of scoop for speed of ship, thus getting more fuel in less time despite the slow speed - even from rarefied space a bit like the oxp eqpt that does the same but an integral part of the ship. Perhaps the core resource ship of a self reliant nomadic fleet?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ah! Sorry, I thought you were asking about existing ships.

Never mind, then. 8)