BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Old Murgh »

Cody wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:45 pm
No idea - it's here if you want to take a look.
Thanks. Maybe I'll spot a difference or two. :wink:
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

BGS-XMapping is a additional module for BGS (not available yet, but the support for it is already in BGS-A and BGS-M). It displays the named regions and spacelanes from ClymAngus maps via overlay on the Long Range Chart. The script checks the position of the cursor (red cross) against sets of inserted polys or lines. Supported are 4 different types of shapes (Rectangle, Circle, NPoly and Line). To speed up the processing inserted shapes are getting a bounding box internally.

BGS-XMapping.oxp will start the player with only 1 region (The old worlds) and 1 lane in G1. From time to time players will receive a update via Snoopers for the current galaxy and over time they have all regions and lanes together. OXPs can expand on that and insert own maps. Additionally there is functionality for 'special maps' (e.g. all Navy HQs) and OXPs can insert own overlays. The special maps are handled differently as there is no position check for them, but they can be activated by steering the cursor over the areas on the right side. The functionality can be controlled in the same way. The right side has areas for switching the mapping on/off, toggles for regions and lanes and three slots for special maps and cycling through the available special maps. If no maps are available in the current galaxy (right now) BGS disables the feature.
Back to pondering over this one.

The BGS-XMapping module for BGS seems to me to have been incorporated into the Oolite vanilla game code. Hence Phkb's GalCop Galactic Registry. See the maps below showing the Pulsar Worlds and the rich industrials (they can also show trade routes, etc.).

The BGS-XMapping.oxp on the other hand has been partly covered by Stranger's Here be Dragons (2013-19), SMax's Zero Map - Explore the galaxy (2016) and Spara's Buyable map (2012). And if you've played with GNN, you get regular updates about new trade routes being declared - and your map being accordingly updated.

So I suspect that Svengali came up with the idea and it percolated through to the Vanilla game code, rendering his old version of BGS partly redundant in that respect.

Effects of Zero Map. Contracts? Deliveries? ...Ha!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Svengali wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:42 pm
CaptSolo wrote:
I would like to know a little more about BGS-XMapping support on LongRangeChart and how it is used?
BGS-XMapping is a additional module for BGS (not available yet, but the support for it is already in BGS-A and BGS-M). It displays the named regions and spacelanes from ClymAngus maps via overlay on the Long Range Chart. The script checks the position of the cursor (red cross) against sets of inserted polys or lines. Supported are 4 different types of shapes (Rectangle, Circle, NPoly and Line). To speed up the processing inserted shapes are getting a bounding box internally.

BGS-XMapping.oxp will start the player with only 1 region (The old worlds) and 1 lane in G1. From time to time players will receive a update via Snoopers for the current galaxy and over time they have all regions and lanes together. OXPs can expand on that and insert own maps. Additionally there is functionality for 'special maps' (e.g. all Navy HQs) and OXPs can insert own overlays. The special maps are handled differently as there is no position check for them, but they can be activated by steering the cursor over the areas on the right side. The functionality can be controlled in the same way. The right side has areas for switching the mapping on/off, toggles for regions and lanes and three slots for special maps and cycling through the available special maps. If no maps are available in the current galaxy (right now) BGS disables the feature.

The insertion is not documented, simply because BGS-X is not finished yet and we won't get it out before christmas, which is my fault - updates for the other OXPs and some RL productions have eaten my time .-) G6 is nearly completed, but progress is really slow atm. I'll upload the current status and send you the link with some instructions how to use the insertion.
I'm currently having a stab at Vector (broken with Cim's versions) which means that I'm running Oolite v.1.77.1 together with the appropriate versions of BGS and CCL taken from Svengali's clutch of oxp's for 1.77.1 (as well as a clutch of other oxp's).

This works! You need ANA installed and you need to click the appropriate button on the right hand side with your mouse - which seems to involve selecting the nearest system! The various overlays seem to be exclusive - either the regional Galactic Navy seccoms or the Old Worlds region

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 pm
Effects of Zero Map. Contracts? Deliveries? ...Ha!
I've noticed the same effect when at unreachable system pairs or after crossing the Great Rift in Galaxy Chart 7.
...the only contracts are to reachable+seen systems, by design.