BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Nite Owl »

No need to edit files in this case. Download LIBRARY v1.7.1 as it allows configuration options for The Background Set including the ones you mentioned. Library also allows for configuration options for many other OXZ's so it is handy to have around.

As for the future editing of .plist's and such avoid using Notepad as it will add extra spaces and stuff that will cause problems with the file. An easy alternative is NOTEPAD++ which will get the job done without too steep of learning curve on how to use it. The learning curve on how to properly edit scripts is whole other matter.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Nite Owl wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 pm
Sundiver wrote:
I would like to turn of or remove the station chatter and Aegis chatter..
No need to edit files in this case. Download LIBRARY v1.7.1 as it allows configuration options for The Background Set including the ones you mentioned. Library also allows for configuration options for many other OXZ's so it is handy to have around.
Yep. What Nite Owl said. You can configure BGS in the game. Just go to the interface screen (F4) and select 'Config for AddOns'. Select 'Config BGS'. The settings you are looking for are under 'Show flags'. Set 'Chatter' to 0. When done, leave the configuration screens and save the game (F2), otherwise changes are only temporary.
Sundiver
Average
Average

Post by Sundiver »

Thank you for the responses. I installed Library from the OXP list in game but Config BGS does not show up in the menu.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the BGS and Library, restarted Oolite, even restarted my computer...all the usual dart throwing I do when confronted with user hostile computers.All to no avail.
Any other things that I may be missing?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

The latest version of Library (v1.7.1) is NOT available from the in game OXZ Manager. Follow the link to Library's Wiki page in my previous post. The download link is towards the bottom of the page.

The latest version of BGS (v2.5) may not yet be available from the in game OXZ manager either. Go back a few posts from your original question to see the conversation as to why. You can get the latest version of BGS at its Wiki page until it is definitively updated in the in game OXZ Manager.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Sundiver
Average
Average

Post by Sundiver »

I got it.
Thank you all for walking an old dog through a new trick.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Sundiver wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 pm
...I would like to turn of or remove the station chatter and Aegis chatter...
A quick trick hack would be to hide the relevant audio files:

a. if you are working with the .oxp format, then
open the .oxp folder,
go to the Sounds subfolder and
move all the bgs-chatter* files to a new temp folder.

b. if you are working with the .oxz format, then
open the .oxz file with a package manager (e.g. 7-zip), then
go to the Sounds subfolder and
move all the bgs-chatter* files to a new temp folder within the .oxz

EDIT: I just saw that I was answering to the previous and there was a "next" page answering that! (double facepalm)
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Sundiver
Average
Average

Post by Sundiver »

Thanks for that advice as well.
If I keep this up I may even learn to write my on OXP.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

[EliteWiki] BGS 2.5.1 is online and in the manager as well.

Changes:
- Added scriptInfo key bgs_chatExpand for secondary stations to flag that this station allows chatter.
- Added user configurable option ChatExpand to enable chatter for secondary stations (default:false). Ignored if Chatter option is disabled.

@Sundiver: Yes, Thargonish. UNIR SHA! (see rot13)
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Recently updated to 2.5.1. Everything has changed now. I like the new hyper jump and docking effects.
But is it possible to keep old backgrounds somehow? Is there a configuration option for that or some other way?

Thanks!
Nicksta
Average
Average

Post by Nicksta »

Is there a configuration option to replace the ship computer voice with beeps, GUI clicks and so on? If not, could we have one in the next update? Please?

I know that I can just edit the customsounds plist (been there, done that), but... please?
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Thanks for BGS, it improves Oolite a lot.

One thing that bugs me a little is that the background images show designs very different from Oolite; one can see for instance a very round ship in one of them.

Personally I prefer to keep a consistent look, which means very "geometric" designs. Griff's Prototype for instance, although it is really awesome in itself, is a no-go.

I wish these background images were made with images from Oolite itself. For instance a bunch of Adders parked in a hangar. I think it could be done from a screenshot, by cloning an Adder viewed from top and then changing the background to a simple steel-looking floor with worn-out markings.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Gimp or Photoshop and I suck with anything artistic anyway.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm a tad unsure if this is the correct thread for this, sorry!

When I first commenced my oolitic explorations back in early May (Happy Day!), I soon added on an .oxp which gave an enchanting spider-web effect to my witchspace tunnel which I greatly relished (seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbweNq3AaPA - just after 4 1/2 minutes in).

At some stage this disappeared - I presume after I unknowingly updated the relevant .oxp in utter incomprehension of the consequences. I have since been left with a rather more prosaic honeycomb effect (seen at the end of the youtube witchspace tunnel sequence above).

Is there any way that I can reclaim the original?

If it is BGS, I downloaded it on the 7th May (presumably as part of Norby's collection) and then updated it on 29th June.

Yours, etc.,

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Hi Cholmondely,

I think you installed BackGroundSet 1.10.9 first, which contain the spiderweb tunnel effect, then somehow updated to BGS 2.5.1 where it looks honeycomb-like. For a downgrade you must remove BGS in the expansion pack manager, then the blue color over the line of the old one will change back to yellow and you will be able to install it.

If you installed some of my collections then remove them also - you can do it safely due to these are just lists other packages which all will remain after once installed, but vanish the complaining messages about the "required" new BGS in the startup screen.

The old BGS backgrounds are still looks good imho, just a matter of taste. But if you want something different then you can install Xenon UI in addition to the old BGS and you will get both the old tunnel and a newer interface.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

It worked!

Thank you!

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I see on the wikipage http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BGS that BGS enables Joystick throttle jitter handling.

What on earth is that?
Joystick throttle?
Jitter handling?

And does it happen automatically?
Or does it have to be configured through Library/Cabal Common Library/oxpconfig.oxp etc?
Or does poor old Redspear have to dance around chanting imprecations in ancient Chaldean?
Comments wanted: