Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Mostly, it was the droid voice and the laser sounds, which you somehow guessed. Those are the effects that you hear most often.
The scoop sound is okay... I need to experiment some more, maybe.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I hope that more people start to make unique soundsets
I intend to finish this sets. I also look into making more lasers.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Dimotane
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Dimotane »

This mod is great, and goes a long way to creating a more absorbing atmosphere. Good job mate!

One tiny thing I wanted to ask: Is it possible to turn the background static noise off when you enter a space station or other dockable object?

I like the effect but it just seems abit out of place inside the station where other noises are going on.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Dimotane wrote:
This mod is great, and goes a long way to creating a more absorbing atmosphere. Good job mate!

One tiny thing I wanted to ask: Is it possible to turn the background static noise off when you enter a space station or other dockable object?
He, yes. It was a long way.
There are several ways to play around with settings in BGS-M (the music/FX/ambient control script). The general setup is done in line 9-12:

Code: Select all

this.logging  Boolean  Internal logging
this.audio	 Boolean  Music when docked
this.extraA	Boolean  Ambient sounds
this.extraB	Boolean  FX
But if you want to disable a specific ambient/FX sound (e.g when docked), simply rename the start condition in the sound pool for this sound.
Example (line 20):

{start:"DOCK",type...
to

{start:"BYPASS",type...
This reduces the ambient crowd to F5 only. And if you want to get rid of it completely do the same in line 23.

Oh, and welcome onboard .-)

Edit: Renaming of start conditions is not necessary anymore.
Last edited by Svengali on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.1 and a scriptupdate for 1.0->1.1 is online. Additionally the single packs BGS-C, BGS-I and BGS-M are online too.

BGS WIKI page

Changes:
- Radio chatter stays active when Hyperjump initiated
- Radio chatter properly restarted after relaunch/reenter of Aegis
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Svengali wrote:
v1.1 and a scriptupdate for 1.0->1.1 is online. Additionally the single packs BGS-C, BGS-I and BGS-M are online too.

BGS WIKI page

Changes:
- Radio chatter stays active when Hyperjump initiated
- Radio chatter properly restarted after relaunch/reenter of Aegis
Good work, although I think that the script in my soundpack then also should be updated? Am I right? :roll:
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

He. It depends .-) -> pm...
Dimotane
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Dimotane »

Svengali wrote:
Dimotane wrote:

He, yes. It was a long way.
There are several ways to play around with settings in BGS-M (the music/FX/ambient control script). The general setup is done in line 9-12:

this.logging  Boolean  Internal logging
this.audio	 Boolean  Music when docked
this.extraA	Boolean  Ambient sounds
this.extraB	Boolean  FX
But if you want to disable a specific ambient/FX sound (e.g when docked), simply rename the start condition in the sound pool for this sound.
Example (line 20):

{start:"DOCK",type...
to

{start:"BYPASS",type...
This reduces the ambient crowd to F5 only. And if you want to get rid of it completely do the same in line 23.

Oh, and welcome onboard .-)
Thanks!

That works a treat.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

pagroove wrote:
Did you try to scoop?
I made that sound out of a vacuum cleaner sample.
Now that you mention it, I remembered that I wanted to nag about the scoop sound of aegidian's set which is also included here - you know, "scoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoop active". I prefer yours, but I guess I'll put that in the other soundset instead of using your complete one since it interferes with the crew soundset(s)...
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I am definitely in dire need of more RAM in my iMac! With just 1GB of RAM, all the extras just slow the program down. It was bad with a Shipyard in the area. Now I'm flying something out of Restaurant At The End Of The Universe (moves like a fish, steers like a cow)!
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Corny wrote:
pagroove wrote:
Did you try to scoop?
I made that sound out of a vacuum cleaner sample.
Now that you mention it, I remembered that I wanted to nag about the scoop sound of aegidian's set which is also included here - you know, "scoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoop active". I prefer yours, but I guess I'll put that in the other soundset instead of using your complete one since it interferes with the crew soundset(s)...
Yes, feel free to shift the sounds around.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

BGS1.2 is online.

Changes:
- Hyperspace countdowns are timed (BGS-A or BGS-M).
- Sound for buy and sell of commodities shortened (BGS-A or BGS-C).
- The options, load and save screens won't stop the ambient/FX parts anymore (BGS-A or BGS-M).
- BGS ships now a silent soundfile. By setting a customsounds key to bgs-m_silence.ogg, specific sounds can be disabled (BGS-A, BGS-C and BGS-M).
- BGS ships now also a "_descriptions.plist" that cleans out some Oolite messages. Users can simply rename this file to activate it (BGS-A and BGS-M).

User configuration:
- New property - this.bgsDisableCrowd is the same as script_info bgs_nocrowd, but for all stations. No need to rename start conditions in the soundPool anymore.
- New property - this.bgsDisableJump disables the timed countdown. Useful if other soundpacks are in use.

OXPs:
- Renamed property - this.bgsOff disables functions of script when docked if true. Script resets it on launching. Handy for oxps with multiple missionscreens. Was before this.externalOff!

Shipdata keys (script_info):
- Renamed the keys for engine stuff and station music. Prefixed now with "bgs_" - e.g script_info = {"bgs_engine" = "myengine.ogg";};
- New key for stations - bgs_nocrowd disables sounds for F5/F8 and switches image for F5 (switch only happens is BGS-A or BGS-I+BGS-M installed).
- New key for stations - bgs_nomusic disables music.
- New key for playerships - bgs_countonly bypasses ambient sounds for jumping, but leaves the countdown.

missiontext.plist (like other soundpacks):
- New key - "BGS-DISABLEJUMP" = "Yes"; same as this.bgsDisableJump (set to "No" to activate function). BGS-C activates this key!
- New key - "BGS-COUNTONLY" = "Yes"; bypasses ambient sounds for jumping, but leaves the countdown (set to "No" to activate function).
- New key - "BGS-COUNT" = "5"; spoken countdown start at second #. Valid range 1-10.
- New key - "BGS-COUNTDOWN" = "name"; names for countdown - requires [BGS-COUNT]. Filenames will be build name+[BGS-COUNT]+".ogg" and counted down to zero!
- New key - "BGS-COUNTLAYER" = "name"; name of ambient part for jumps. Expected filenames name+[BGS-COUNTLAYER]+"g.ogg" and name+[BGS-COUNTLAYER]+"h.ogg"

A test oxp for oxp-developers and Pagrooves alternative soundset is available too. In the next days I'll upload a BGS Hawksound version.

A special thanks to El Viejo and maik as they have run some tests.

BGS (Backgroundset)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Two things I notice immediately (installed BGS v1.2 without modifying anything, updated from v1.1):

1) I seem to have lost the theme tune? All I get is silence until I load my save game etc.

2) Mission screen displays whilst you're docked sound strange in going from ambient noise to silence and then back again.

I think you might have mentioned the 2nd one before, but it seems to have clobbered the theme tune too?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Thargoid wrote:
1) I seem to have lost the theme tune? All I get is silence until I load my save game etc.
Really? The audio stuff in BGS gets active the first time on guiScreenChanged, means after loading a savedgame or starting a new career, so it's probably not BGS that causes it. BGS is also not changing the theme. Maybe another oxp changes it or the soundfile is corrupted. Or the reload orgy has mixed up your sounddriver .-)
Thargoid wrote:
2) Mission screen displays whilst you're docked sound strange in going from ambient noise to silence and then back again.
You mean the ambient noise remains (going in and out) on your machine while staying on the missionscreen? I'm asking because it stops these things on my machine as intended. The used interval determines when things get stopped and as there's no fadeout or volumecontrol it is abrupt, but after reading your post - I have changed it to stop only the looped sounds + music one after the other (and not all together) and the not looped FX part is using a fadeout in the soundfile. Maybe I'll stop this one too, because missionscreens are using own sounds and music, but I'm not completely sure about it.

Or do you mean the short popping in between missionscreens? He. That was one of the reasons why bgsOff was introduced. guiScreenChanged is triggering the reinit of BGS audio stuff, because the guiScreen is "GUI_SCREEN_STATUS" between missionscreens, but I'm currently testing a timed delay which could avoid this popping in.

Have uploaded the thing so you we can crosscheck...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

|Checked the game options - music somehow seems to have gotten itself turned off. Switching it back on fixes things, tune's back :) So probably just a co-incidental switching somewhere.

For the mission screen - kinda both. It just seems odd that everything goes quiet when you go to the mission screen, and then comes straight back afterwards. But I also notice the popping you mention. I'll try out the new script and let you know.