BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

El Viejo wrote:
I just committed a cardinal sin… in station space, I went to hit the comms log key, but hit tab by mistake and triggered my energy bomb. There was no explosion noise effects from the e-bomb, just silence and the on-screen message. I went back and bought another e-bomb and tried again… same result. I hardly ever, if ever, use the e-bomb, so I’ve not noticed it til tonight’s mistake.
Yep, you're right - just tried it. Will check it.

BGS Soundpatch.zip (376.7KB)
It contains the missing energy bomb sound and fixes digital clipping in some of the files from customsounds.oxp.
Eric has notified me that it gives from time to time an error on his machine, so here we go. Thanks Eric and El Viejo.
Simply replace the old files...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Many thanks, Svengali.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I think the soundset is excellent. I figured the station chatter cutting off abruptly when hitting the button for witchspace was intentional since, well.. radio probably wouldn't work there anyway, and likely one would switch radio off since who knows what sort of heinous radio noise something like a witchspace jump would entail?

The station chatter, it took me a while to notice it was just chopped syllables, since the mind tried to make some sort of sense of it when it's a background sound. If there was a bit more variety in it, like maybe a random assortment, and it was just a bit more buried in radio noise/static, the illusion would be about perfect.

Overall, BGS is simply a great add-on though. Easily one of my all-time favourites.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Ganelon wrote:
I think the soundset is excellent. I figured the station chatter cutting off abruptly when hitting the button for witchspace was intentional since, well.. radio probably wouldn't work there anyway, and likely one would switch radio off since who knows what sort of heinous radio noise something like a witchspace jump would entail?

The station chatter, it took me a while to notice it was just chopped syllables, since the mind tried to make some sort of sense of it when it's a background sound. If there was a bit more variety in it, like maybe a random assortment, and it was just a bit more buried in radio noise/static, the illusion would be about perfect.

Overall, BGS is simply a great add-on though. Easily one of my all-time favourites.
The station chatter is just reversed normal chatter. The normal chatter had some sentences in it that you could actually here like:

''taking off from runway...'' hold short" Thats the reason we tried to reverse it. It's now more a space language. :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

So it's already a more perfect illusion than I thought! LOL

I thought you were using bits of "chopped" radio audio like they do for EVP experiments with a "Franks box" or "Ghost box".
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Oh, so you're done! You know that I was lurking to get them :D As soon as I'm on vacation and don't play Oolite for a while, you release it... :P
This OXP is probably one of the most anticipated by me. That's why I started to do similar stuff, but apart from the fact that I didn't release it - it's made with (probably?) copyrighted material - you did a much better job than I did!
So - thanks a lot! It really boosts my game delight!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

http://www.box.net/shared/jjx02qkv39

Version 2.0. of the PAG alternative soundset:

Includes:

- new high pitched lasersound (just an alternative)
- new high pitched laserhit

new hit and hullbang sounds:
Now being hit hurts!

new station music.
Config files and script so that the new soundset is ready to use.

Installation:

Step 1.

Backup your existing BGS oxp (make a copy of the dir in a different location in the case that you don't like the sounds)

step2

Then unzip this package into your BGS with overwrite on YES.

Enjoy
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

WIKI is also updated now.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

pagroove wrote:
Ganelon wrote:

The station chatter is just reversed normal chatter. The normal chatter had some sentences in it that you could actually here like:

''taking off from runway...'' hold short" Thats the reason we tried to reverse it. It's now more a space language. :)
Perhaps fellow BB members could post little audio snippets of their own voices?

"My God, it's full of stars!"
"That's no moon."
etc.

Then you'd have a pool of clips to string together...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well, there's a lot of possibilities for radio chatter, especially recorded in the voices of different community members..

"Hey! Anybody want to buy a trumble? They're cute, cuddly and soooooper cheap for a limited time only!"

"Keep your trumbles to yourself, buddy."

"Yeah, nobody wants to hear about your trumbles."

<singing> "Oh, pack up your trumbles in your old kit pack and smile, smile, smiiiiiile."

"Radio check. Can anybody hear me out there?"

"It works, so shut up."

"Say, does anybody know a good place to eat?"

"Yeah. Your mom's house!" <laugh>

"My mother? Let me tell you about my mother.." <sounds of laser shots or a missile launch>

.. but they might be more fun as random bits one hears when heading along the spacelane, mixed kinda low with some static to make them sound like distant signals of ships somewhere outside scanner or visual contact range.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ganelon wrote:
.. but they might be more fun as random bits one hears when heading along the spacelane, mixed kinda low with some static to make them sound like distant signals of ships somewhere outside scanner or visual contact range.
That's how they'd be most effective/immersive.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Might be better if such chatter was a separate OXP, though. Some might find it distracting or annoying rather than an added layer of immersion.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiieeeee!!!!"

"What's your position, do you need assistance??!!"

"No, I'm fine, I was just debunking an old myth.."

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"Well, they say that 'in space nobody can hear you scream', right? Well, you heard me! So that's obviously not true."

<muttered> "Oh, for the luvva.."

"Repeat please? I was busy posting this to HyperSnopes, since I've busted this myth. What were you saying?"

"Look.. Clear off the frequency, willya? Some of us are trying to work."

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Anyone tried the new soundset yet?
Cody

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
Yeah, just took it out for a quick flight. Most of it is not to my taste, so I've reverted to the original, although I did like the new hull bangs. I might mix and match a little, as I go along. I think the new witchspace countdown is a second premature... you'll want to check that.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

El Viejo wrote:
pagroove wrote:
Yeah, just took it out for a quick flight. Most of it is not to my taste, so I've reverted to the original, although I did like the new hull bangs. I might mix and match a little, as I go along. I think the new witchspace countdown is a second premature... you'll want to check that.
Yeah you could always mix the sounds of the original and the alternative set by editing the customsounds.plist.
Just curious what is not to your taste? The droid sounds, the laser or other things. Did you try to scoop?

I made that sound out of a vacuum cleaner sample.