BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ganelon wrote:
Excellent work, P.A.Groove & Svengali.
Thanks a lot. Most of the sounds are from Aegidians customsounds.oxp, some of them are altered to match our needs. And yes, we've tried to make it as smooth as possible. I'm playing with it now for a whole while and I don't even notice it anymore. Pagroove has done a lot of cool work - even created one of the songs that are used for the station background music.

Have fun with it .-)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

JazHaz, I've recently played Oolite - with full shaders - using an HP/Compaq mini 311, which is about 300 squid online: a whole computer for a fraction of one of DaddyHoggy's monster cards.

I'm not too sure how fast it'd be with 80+ oxps: I only had 20 or so installed, but had all the graphics cranked up to the max, and it didn't seem to have any problems whatsoever...

If you're looking for a relatively cheap mini laptop that can play Oolite pretty well for the foreseeable future, I'd recommend that one!

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with HP and/or any of its resellers, just well impressed by that little machine! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Would like to apologise for my little outburst earlier. I wasn't trying to be picky or difficult, just trying to report a problem with the oxp.

Kaks, thanks for the info about that HP laptop. Its amazing a £300 laptop could run full shader mode! Mine is about 2 years old now, but cost £400. All in all I'm happy with it, it does most things well. Unfortunately not likely to be able to afford a new one for quite some time, still unemployed, and have been for 18 months now.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Kaks wrote:
JazHaz, I've recently played Oolite - with full shaders - using an HP/Compaq mini 311, which is about 300 squid online: a whole computer for a fraction of one of DaddyHoggy's monster cards.
Not mine - my University's - I just persuaded them to part with the £2600 for five of them - plus another £400 for the PSUs necessary to run them...

It's quite hard (sometimes) to work all day surrounded by i7s and Core Quads with 1 and 2 GB gfx cards and then return home to my 2800+ Athlon and 128MB 6600GT (but not so hard that I don't love my job very much!)

I stop paying £1200 per month for childcare one year from today (it will drop to ONLY £500) - I've promised myself a decent Oolite Full-shader capable netbook after that date...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I stop paying £1200 per month for childcare one year from today (it will drop to ONLY £500)
£1200 per month for childcare? Blimey how many kids do you have? :wink:

Thats more than I used to get paid when I had a job!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Apology accepted:)
hopefully you get it running and otherwise you can later. And you know I quit my job soon so then I am also unemployed. So then your not theonly one :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JazHaz wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I stop paying £1200 per month for childcare one year from today (it will drop to ONLY £500)
£1200 per month for childcare? Blimey how many kids do you have? :wink:

Thats more than I used to get paid when I had a job!
Just two.

[Off Topic]Milly, 8, breakfast club and after school club = c. £220pcm (depending on number of school days per month). Yvie, 3, full-time private nursery, £207p/w, so £828 in a 4 Monday's month and £1035 in a 5 Monday's month. Yvie doesn't yet get the "free" hours that over 3's are entitled to because she was born on the 1st of April, and the cut off was March 31st, so we might get a reduction in September (15hrs worth) but the nursery is thinking of opting out because they charge more per hour than the Government will pay and parents are no longer allowed to top up to make up the difference - so we could well lose out completely. As that's all after tax it's the equivalent of a £1700pcm salary, so one of us effectively working for our future pension and long term career prospects (see what I did there - I made a funny :( )[/Off Topic]
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Now back on topic :). ( sry Daddyhoggy :))
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

@JazHaz - It seems we both have learned something. That's not a bad result .-) And apogs, sire. My reaction could have been better, nicer and smoother too.

So the question is now - have you got it running as per the instructions in the pm?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Svengali wrote:
So the question is now - have you got it running as per the instructions in the pm?
Not had a chance to alter the settings, will have a go later.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Wow, guys, nice OXP!! 8) 8) 8)

Who made the soundFX, and how, if I may be so nosey?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Rxke wrote:
Wow, guys, nice OXP!! 8) 8) 8)

Who made the soundFX, and how, if I may be so nosey?
Depends on which package you are referring to.
Most of my effects are made with various Synths and sound programs, through the fx section of a digital mixing table.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

On my side Audacity and Pro Tools LE. Though for one file Pro Tools HD at a studio nearby.

And how it is done? There's no simple answer, because every sound needs other filters, effects and EQ settings.

The most difficult part was to get a illusion of crossfading (like the engine sounds). This is done by fading in and out, while the outfade is longer than the infade. It has to be done in the audio file itself and the length of the files is important to reach this result. Additionally the basic engine sound is there to get this smoothed, so the player won't notice it so much.

The script uses 3 sound sources to play 2 FX layers and 1 music layer (music only when docked) and uses arrays to hold the conditions and files. There are three types of basic sets. DOCK holds all the stuff for the GUI screens, LAUNCH holds the engine and Aegis chatter and WITCH the extra FX parts for jumping.

The basic set uses a medium compression for a balance between filesize and quality. You can notice it when running these sounds very loud or on a PA. Specially the lower frequencies are a bit weak, but this is the result of non-mastered sounds. Runtime was another factor and it took a while until we were pleased with it. That's why we are using only a few FX sounds.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I'm liking this oxp a lot. It really adds to the atmosphere of oolite. (Or at least the air onboard my ship. ;) ) 8)

Great work, guys.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
I'm liking this oxp a lot. It really adds to the atmosphere of oolite. (Or at least the air onboard my ship. ;) ) 8)

Great work, guys.
Muchas gracias, Wyvern. Specially pagrooves work has made it complete and smooth - was a pleasure PAG!

In a few weeks we'll release the remaining parts (C,I and M) so users can pick the things they like, but for the moment it's good to get it tetsted completely.