BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Tichy »

Svengali wrote:
The resources (GIMP files) are currently >220 MB and all layers are already scaled, so this won't help. I've uploaded the bgs-i-intro.zip if you really want to try scaling - let me know how it goes. The unscaled elements are not in the collection and scattered around my HDDs and backups and I'd think it would be faster to start from scratch for a high-res version.

I tried to scale up and mask the blocks with selective gaussian and noise for the background, and sharpen and selective gaussian for the route.
I wasn't able to sharpen the borders. The result isn't beautiful, but also not so bad... at least, it looks like it's blurred on purpose. :)
However, I don't know how to make it load correctly in game.

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Post by DredgerMan »

Svengali wrote:
BGS1.5 is online.

Changes:
- Adapted CCL changes
- Cleaned up unnecessary properties
Nice set, Svengali. Very nice set, indeed!
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Tichy wrote:
However, I don't know how to make it load correctly in game.
In screenbackgrounds.plist, change intro = "bgs-i_intro.png"; to intro = { name = "bgs-i_intro.png"; width = 768; height = 480; };

You specifically don’t want to change those numbers to 1920 and 1200; they’re the size of the image in Oolite’s coordinate space, not the size in pixels.

By the way, the images will be rescaled to a power-of-two pixel size – in this case, 2048 × 1024. You’re better off doing that manually in your editor. If you’re specifying the “real” size in the plist, this won’t change the rendering in game. Ignore the fact that the image looks distorted in the editor.

The next step is to remove the black borders on the size scale the width parameter appropriately. For example, if you trim it down to 1600 pixels wide, the width becomes 1600 * 768/1920 = 640.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

@Ahruman: Thank you. I'll try to do as you have explained. :)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

DredgerMan wrote:
Nice set, Svengali. Very nice set, indeed!
Thanks, DredgerMan.

@Tichy: I've uploaded a few more GIMP files. I've cleaned unused layers in the final pic and renamed the layers for a better orientation. You can find it in the Developers Edge/Resources folder (see sig below).
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

I'm downloading. The next few days, I'll try to work on them. ;)

edit: I worked on intro and equipship, but I'm not happy with the results. No improvement from the original versions, except for fonts.
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

Neat. :)

Gives a complete different feel to playing Oolite.

#1. In the Galactic Chart screen:

The computer voice tells me that advanced mapping is disabled. That's weird, I went and verified that my advanced navigational array was not broken - it's fine.
I see some options on the right side (toggle mapping, toggle areas, toggle lanes, etc) - I tried clicking on them, didn't work. I went to the readme file - I had read it already, but hey - better do it again before posting here.

Under Features; it says that this is supported. How it is done, I don't know. See paragraph above this one.

Next, I thought that it maybe requires oxp config to work, like suggested in the readme. I went and read up about that. Looks like a programming tool to me. < scratch head >

#2. I love the computer voice, don't get me wrong. But there seems to be some conflict with the Talking Compass oxp. They both say the same thing sometimes, and when they say so0mething different, makes it hard to figure what is being said.

#3. It sounds like there is an engine sound that kicks in when you increase the speed, activate jump drives, etc. It does not go off if you are in a different view screen from the time you did that.

For example; when I sun skim, I do so from the aft view, because my eyes get sore from staring into the star all the time from the frontal view. My jump drives are on - but my regular engines are off (if you are a new player, don't do this). Once I'm mass locked by the sun itself, the jump drives are cut, and the sound goes away. This seems like what this oxp intends. Now then, when I go to the front view (or port, starboard), even though I have no engine running - I hear the engine sounds, like if I was at full speed. But - if I return to the aft view, the engine sounds have ceased.

When I enter witchspace - sometimes I want to be not moving at all, and other times I want to be at full speed - depending on the tactical situation I am anticipating on the other side. When I'm powering down during the remaining countdown to witch jump, the engine noise is at max when I exit (or enter) into the new system. When I do the opposite, I'll have either no sound, or intermittent engine noise.

Your readme wants some information from me:
Oolite version: 1.76.1
Operating System: Windows 7
Graphics card and driver version: I don't know. (But... Thargoid helped me fix my computer a while ago, he might be able to give you that information)
EDIT: Card = ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, Driver = ATI Technologies Inc. 8.733.0.0
Fullscreen / Windowed mode: I use both. Fullscreen mostly. Windowed when I'm waiting for clearance to dock, and I'm late in the que.
Shadder Mode: If that is what is under Shadder Effects, in the Game Options, in the F2 screen - then it is set to Full.
List of used oxps, include versions: Are you serious? If so, then I'll see if I can somehow copy and paste them here, but will take a lot of room.
Last edited by DeathKnyte on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

DeathKnyte wrote:
When I enter witchspace - sometimes I want to be not moving at all, and other times I want to be at full speed - depending on the tactical situation I am anticipating on the other side.
I think you'll find that you always emerge from witchspace at the same speed (about 25% of max), regardless of your speed on entry.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DeathKnyte wrote:
Oolite version: 1.76.1
Operating System: Windows 7
Graphics card and driver version: I don't know. (But... Thargoid helped me fix my computer a while ago, he might be able to give you that information)
Fullscreen / Windowed mode: I use both. Fullscreen mostly. Windowed when I'm waiting for clearance to dock, and I'm late in the que.
Shadder Mode: If that is what is under Shadder Effects, in the Game Options, in the F2 screen - then it is set to Full.
List of used oxps, include versions: Are you serious? If so, then I'll see if I can somehow copy and paste them here, but will take a lot of room.
For your graphics driver info -

• Right click on your desktop, then select "Screen Resolution" from the list.
  • Click advanced settings (centre-right of the resolution window).
  • In the next window, click on Properties of the adapter type (up near the top) - you may well need administrator privs for that). The "adapter type" is your graphics card, which you can also post information about here.
  • Select the driver tab (the 2nd one) in the window that appears - those are the details of your graphics driver.
For the OXP list, you can find that in the latest.log file. You'll find that under /oolite.app/logs in your Oolite install directory (c:/oolite or wherever you put it). Up near the top just under all the shader blurb you'll find a list of them, under [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:. They should start off with ../AddOns/

Just post that list here between a [code][/code] tag pair.[/color]
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ok, let's try some answers .-)
DeathKnyte wrote:
The computer voice tells me that advanced mapping is disabled. That's weird, I went and verified that my advanced navigational array was not broken - it's fine.
I see some options on the right side (toggle mapping, toggle areas, toggle lanes, etc) - I tried clicking on them, didn't work. I went to the readme file - I had read it already, but hey - better do it again before posting here.
The advanved mapping is a feature to display the named regions and spacelanes from Clym Angus fine vector maps. It requires BGS-X, a additional OXP which is not released yet. The support functionality is implemented in BGS already, so any OXP could already insert maps.
DeathKnyte wrote:
Next, I thought that it maybe requires oxp config to work, like suggested in the readme. I went and read up about that. Looks like a programming tool to me. < scratch head >
No OXP requires OXPConfig to work. But some OXPs are giving the player more options to configure things. OXPConfig acts as interface between players and OXPs to adjust, store and load settings in OXPs without the need to write the same stuff in a lot of OXPs. If you are pleased with the default settings in your OXPs then you don't need it at all.-)
DeathKnyte wrote:
#2. I love the computer voice, don't get me wrong. But there seems to be some conflict with the Talking Compass oxp. They both say the same thing sometimes, and when they say so0mething different, makes it hard to figure what is being said.
Please clarify this point. Are you using espeak?

BGS uses a modified [wiki]CustomSounds_OXP[/wiki], so the standard sounds are played through Oolites (customsounds.plist). A script can't change these settings, so there is nothing the script in BGS can do to avoid conflicts. Cims [wiki]Talkative_Space_Compass[/wiki] displays onscreen messages. Both won't collide until espeak is used.

If you are using espeak try to remove some of the sounds from BGS customsounds.plist. The names should be pretty clear.
DeathKnyte wrote:
#3. It sounds like there is an engine sound that kicks in when you increase the speed, activate jump drives, etc. It does not go off if you are in a different view screen from the time you did that.
The engine sounds are independent from your viewscreen. Changing to another screen (e.g. Status screen or external view) does not change anything - your ship is still moving. BGS checks the speed every 0.6 seconds. If it increases it starts the engineUp sounds, if it decreases it playes the engineDown sound. There is no distinction between regular and torus drive.

BGS uses two sound layers. One for the engineUp/Down and another for the engine mumble as long as the engine is on. As there is no loudness control and no fadeIn/Out functionality it overlays these layers to hide the hard cut when the engine mumble gets switched off.
El Viejo wrote:
DeathKnyte wrote:
When I enter witchspace - sometimes I want to be not moving at all, and other times I want to be at full speed - depending on the tactical situation I am anticipating on the other side.
I think you'll find that you always emerge from witchspace at the same speed (about 25% of max), regardless of your speed on entry.
Yep.
DeathKnyte wrote:
Yes, a full report please .-)
No, seriously. These infos are often necessary to dig in conflicts between OXPs or other errors. It helps a lot if things are clear from the very first beginning and the Latest.log often contains hints where to look for. But your post above was clear enough to get a feeling, but if you really want - post your Latest.log .-)
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

El Viejo:

Ja, you are correct.

I have paid closer attention, and I always enter a system - or pending on view point, exit from witchspace - at the top end of slow speed (green bar). If that equates to 25% of max speed, then so be it.

Still though; if initiating a wormhole at 0 or max speed, I will quickly achieve that upon entry (or exit).

Thargoid:

You are such the man (if you were female I'd ask you to marry me :) ).
Where do you live? Maybe you can come over to my house for a few beers and teach me how to be such a computer guru - like you.
I will edit my prior post, to include the graphic card information.
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

Now for, Svengali:

First of all, I see that from reading through some of this thread; you are trying to maintain this massive oxp all by yourself.
I'm going to try and take it easy on you, but I kind of like the way Oolite feels with this oxp, so want to try and get it to work correctly.
:)

Svengali wrote:
The advanved mapping is a feature to display the named regions and spacelanes from Clym Angus fine vector maps. It requires BGS-X, a additional OXP which is not released yet. The support functionality is implemented in BGS already, so any OXP could already insert maps.
Okay, So it is under the "to be continued" category.
Understood.

Please clarify this point. Are you using espeak?

BGS uses a modified [wiki]CustomSounds_OXP[/wiki], so the standard sounds are played through Oolites (customsounds.plist). A script can't change these settings, so there is nothing the script in BGS can do to avoid conflicts. Cims [wiki]Talkative_Space_Compass[/wiki] displays onscreen messages. Both won't collide until espeak is used.

If you are using espeak try to remove some of the sounds from BGS customsounds.plist. The names should be pretty clear.
Uhmmm....

< scratch head >

I am using whatever the game uses - and whatever is in the BGS oxp I downloaded (plus the Cabal Commons thing which is said to be required).
F2 screen > Game Options... > Spoken Messages = On, Voice = default, Gender = Female, Music = On.
Or is it a program on my computer? (I wonder if Thargoid would know that, or not?)

Changing to another screen (e.g. Status screen or external view) does not change anything - your ship is still moving. BGS checks the speed every 0.6 seconds. If it increases it starts the engineUp sounds, if it decreases it playes the engineDown sound. There is no distinction between regular and torus drive.
I wouldn't think so, like if my car engine is making noise (or not), it should not matter which windshield I'm looking out of. But again, I don't know how computer programming works.
However, upon even further testing, I have now discovered that I don't have to change view screens. The engine sound(s) will stop, start, remain intermittent as well - even when I have them completely turned off (speed = 0). This is beginning to become a very deep mystery...

BGS uses two sound layers. One for the engineUp/Down and another for the engine mumble as long as the engine is on. As there is no loudness control and no fadeIn/Out functionality it overlays these layers to hide the hard cut when the engine mumble gets switched off.
ah....
I did notice a Whoooeeee when increasing speed, and a Whuuuuhhhhm when decreasing speed.
For the background engine noise, I can best describe it as like sitting next to an industrial dryer, at a laundromat. This will sound simultaneously with either the above ones.

Yes, a full report please .-)
No, seriously. These infos are often necessary to dig in conflicts between OXPs or other errors. It helps a lot if things are clear from the very first beginning and the Latest.log often contains hints where to look for. But your post above was clear enough to get a feeling, but if you really want - post your Latest.log .-)
hehe,
I'll post one, if necessary, but besides the talking compass thing, I don't feel there are any other conflicts.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DeathKnyte wrote:
Uhmmm....

< scratch head >

I am using whatever the game uses - and whatever is in the BGS oxp I downloaded (plus the Cabal Commons thing which is said to be required).
F2 screen > Game Options... > Spoken Messages = On, Voice = default, Gender = Female, Music = On.
Or is it a program on my computer? (I wonder if Thargoid would know that, or not?)
eSpeak is indeed a program. As you don't know about it, you almost certainly don't have it installed. You can basically use it as a screen-reader, for Oolite or indeed anything else.

As for guru-dom, long years of experience, or failing that google and wikipedia can make anyone look like they know what they're talking about ;)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thargoid wrote:
... google and wikipedia can make anyone look like they know what they're talking about
<smirks>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thargoid wrote:
.... google and wikipedia can make anyone look like they know what they're talking about ;)[/color]
< :evil: Slightly miffed at Thargoid's revelation of Gimi's computer secrets> 8)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).