BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Svengali »

cim wrote:
Svengali wrote:
It displays the named regions and spacelanes from ClymAngus maps via overlay on the Long Range Chart.
Does this mean you have a list of the system IDs for each region/lane? If so, could I have a copy please? (If it's not finished, then obviously I'm happy to take what you have so far, compile the rest myself, and give you that back)
Nope. BGS does not use a list of system IDs. It uses shapes/polys/vectors (which are expressed in coordinates) and checks if inside the shape/poly/vector. Let me know if you still need a copy.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Just installed the BGS - er, wow! The hyperspace jump is as it should be.

But I laughed out loud to "cloaking device activated".
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

SandJ wrote:
Just installed the BGS - er, wow! The hyperspace jump is as it should be.

But I laughed out loud to "cloaking device activated".
Thanks SandJ. And by replacing the texture for the jump effect you can get some very interesting looking jumps. Maybe we should make a contest for the weirdest, best looking, funniest replacement...

The sounds for the cloaking device were already in Milinks/Aegidians Customsounds.oxp - one of the great Sound-OXPs out there .-) BGS uses a modified version (with Aegidians permission).
misterjof
Poor
Poor

Post by misterjof »

Hi Svengali,

Loving your work, everything works fine except for the fact that the background images do not display.

I am having the same problem that Jazhaz had many many moons ago.

I get function keys down the left but no background images.

is there a simple fix for this or would it be helpful to post my log?

Intel core i3 laptop with integrated hd 3000 graphics chipset. It may seem weedy but it runs the game with full shaders and 20+ oxp's.

Many thanks
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

misterjof wrote:
is there a simple fix for this or would it be helpful to post my log?
Are you running a nightly build or is it v1.76?

If it's v1.76 or a earlier nightly please try the latest nightly build (see https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6852). Installing it is as simple as installing the game - a really great service of Oolites developers. Maybe this solves the problem.

If it doesn't solve it:
Comment out (or delete) the overlays-section in BGS screenbackgrounds.plist and set "BGS-IMAGESWITCH" = "No"; in missiontext.plist. BGS will not use any overlays then, except for one special situation (if you are dying while on F5). Or you could try another option. another_commander has created the RedSet.oxp which was the first OXP for background images. You can use it together with BGS-C and BGS-M.

If you decide to edit the plists - don't use Notepad. It may corrupt the files.

And welcome aboard .-)
misterjof
Poor
Poor

Post by misterjof »

Thanks Svengali, I will give your advice a go.

I will installs the nightly build and try the other backgrounds as well.

Your advice is much appreciated.

cheers!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Svengali wrote:
BGS-XMapping is a additional module for BGS (not available yet, but the support for it is already in BGS-A and BGS-M). It displays the named regions and spacelanes from ClymAngus maps via overlay on the Long Range Chart. The script checks the position of the cursor (red cross) against sets of inserted polys or lines. Supported are 4 different types of shapes (Rectangle, Circle, NPoly and Line). To speed up the processing inserted shapes are getting a bounding box internally.

BGS-XMapping.oxp will start the player with only 1 region (The old worlds) and 1 lane in G1. From time to time players will receive a update via Snoopers for the current galaxy and over time they have all regions and lanes together. OXPs can expand on that and insert own maps. Additionally there is functionality for 'special maps' (e.g. all Navy HQs) and OXPs can insert own overlays. The special maps are handled differently as there is no position check for them, but they can be activated by steering the cursor over the areas on the right side. The functionality can be controlled in the same way. The right side has areas for switching the mapping on/off, toggles for regions and lanes and three slots for special maps and cycling through the available special maps. If no maps are available in the current galaxy (right now) BGS disables the feature.

The insertion is not documented, simply because BGS-X is not finished yet and we won't get it out before christmas, which is my fault - updates for the other OXPs and some RL productions have eaten my time .-) G6 is nearly completed, but progress is really slow atm. I'll upload the current status and send you the link with some instructions how to use the insertion.
What's the current status on BGS-X?
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

misterjof wrote:

Intel core i3 laptop with integrated hd 3000 graphics chipset. It may seem weedy but it runs the game with full shaders and 20+ oxp's.

Many thanks
It's a driver issue - upgrade to the latest drivers from the Intel website and BGS backgrounds will work just fine. Trunk is the best bet for the time being as-well - there are some compatibility issues with the HD3000 and 1.76 - they have been fixed in trunk and in a hopefully not too far away 1.76.1 update.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

JazHaz wrote:
What's the current status on BGS-X?
G8 is 60% done. But I've started to update some other OXPs to prepare them for v1.76.1 so it may take some time to finish BGS-X. In that process BGS itself has got more options via OXPConfig (nearly all of the documented properties) and the workaround for the Frustum Culling.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

BGS1.4.1 is online.

Changes:
- More settings via OXPConfig
- Altered jumpsequence for galactic jump and misjump
- Docs updated
- Temporary(?) workaround for Oolites Frustum Culling

Special thanks here to cim for the workaround .-)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

That's a surprise! Curious to the new jump sequences :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
Curious to the new jump sequences
They're cool! Thanks again, Svengali!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

BGS1.5 is online.

Changes:
- Adapted CCL changes
- Cleaned up unnecessary properties
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Hi! I was wondering if it's possible to have background images at higher resolutions. I'm playing at 1920x1200, and they look a litte blocky.
If I could get the source images, perhaps, I could try to adapt them. :)

I would also like to report a small problem with the sound effects. Randomly, and always when I stop my ship, I keep hearing the sounds of engines going up and down.
To avoid this, I temoprally commented this two lines in customsounds.plist

Code: Select all

"[bgs_fxEngineDown]" = "bgs-m_fx_enginedown1.ogg";
"[bgs_fxEngineUp]" = "bgs-m_fx_engineup1.ogg";
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Tichy wrote:
Hi! I was wondering if it's possible to have background images at higher resolutions. I'm playing at 1920x1200, and they look a litte blocky.
If I could get the source images, perhaps, I could try to adapt them. :)
I guess it all boils down to the target. BGS targets all users, so high-res stuff is not part of the deal for the main package. A high-res version sounds reasonable, so if you really want to create a HD-version... .-)

The resources (GIMP files) are currently >220 MB and all layers are already scaled, so this won't help. I've uploaded the bgs-i-intro.zip if you really want to try scaling - let me know how it goes. The unscaled elements are not in the collection and scattered around my HDDs and backups and I'd think it would be faster to start from scratch for a high-res version.
Tichy wrote:
I would also like to report a small problem with the sound effects. Randomly, and always when I stop my ship, I keep hearing the sounds of engines going up and down.
To avoid this, I temoprally commented this two lines in customsounds.plist

Code: Select all

"[bgs_fxEngineDown]" = "bgs-m_fx_enginedown1.ogg";
"[bgs_fxEngineUp]" = "bgs-m_fx_engineup1.ogg";
The sounds are played based on the timer interval (0.6s). The value is explicitely choosen to get a balance between responsiveness and performance. A lower interval may shift it in direction to more responsiveness, but the sound handling possibilities are limited, so it can't be done right at the moment. This may change someday when Oolite switches to OpenAL, but it is future music. To make it complete the engines are using two different layers and the engine up/down hides the stopping of the engine mumble.