BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Gimi »

Eric Walch wrote:
Up until 1.74 the rings were in fact a model in Oolite that could be replaced. Actually it was just one ring that the engine placed in different enlargements.
But, since 1.75 the rings are generate differently and is no longer a model like the normal ships. So it will not be possible to change them by adding a different model or by adding shaders to a texture.

btw, those nice effect of the BGS is only there when using shaders. When switching of you don't see anything at all except the normal rings. That might also give a problem when generally removing the rings by the oxp as than the shader-less people won't see a jump effect at all.
Thank you for clarifying that, it was worth a try. :D
As for the latter issue, it could still be implemented, but left off by default. Still better than having a second OXP to modify another OXP.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Svengali,

Sorry I did not find the time to test but as I said this release was a hit anyway :). But I got 2 more ideas for the BGS OXP.

--Q-Bomb Sound FX--
As we all know in space there is no sound. But the hell with that :). Oolite ships actually use sound generation fields to create situational awareness. What about making a grand effect for the Q-Bomb. If it explodes you hear a sound and see some static on your view screen.

--Idle Sound==
Also an Idle sound would be cool. As you stop the ship there is now no sound. But I think you should still hear 'some' systems.

--Explosion sound or shockwave sounds-
Explosion sounds would also be cool. Not bangs but more like a sort of sonic booms (probably underwater like).

If you like I can put my Synths to work to generate some sounds?

But Man o Man this new HyperfX so Cool... 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
btw, those nice effect of the BGS is only there when using shaders. When switching of you don't see anything at all except the normal rings. That might also give a problem when generally removing the rings by the oxp as than the shader-less people won't see a jump effect at all.
Yep - that's why I haven't touched the hyperspace_tunnel_colors (planetinfo.plist). I'm also undecided if BGS should use the vectorForward.multiply() as it moves the player to another location. The question is here if this can cause trouble, e.g. catapulting the player into another object, etc. We can implement it with a switch for a testversion (thanks to Okti) and after some weeks it can go in a release version. He - and this would give us enough time to develop the other new ideas for BGS...
pagroove wrote:
If you like I can put my Synths to work to generate some sounds?
Hey Pag, sure - switch it on .-) I'll run some tests to see how much resources BGS is currently eating and where we can do a little bit more without hitting the framerate.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Svengali (and others)

How about this for a Q-bomb sound. Made with an An1x through a lot of fx. First the explosion sound and then the sound of the expanding sphere.
http://www.box.net/shared/2qijjr6c18ajjth88lkp
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

The testversion-script to trick the breakpattern rings can be downloaded -> BGS-M1.3.6Testversion.zip (5.4 KB)

Changes:
- new property bgsHyperMove which acts as multiplier. Default 500. Set to any positive number (to get the rings partial ~300, or absolutely not >=500) or 0 (zero) to disable this feature.

Pushing the player forward is only enabled if bgsHyperFX is true.

A special thanks here to Okti!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thank you. Blazingly fast response.
This will go straight into my OXP-folder. Any problems will be reported.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Gimi wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
Up until 1.74 the rings were in fact a model in Oolite that could be replaced. Actually it was just one ring that the engine placed in different enlargements.
But, since 1.75 the rings are generate differently and is no longer a model like the normal ships. So it will not be possible to change them by adding a different model or by adding shaders to a texture.

Thank you for clarifying that, it was worth a try. :D
As for the latter issue, it could still be implemented, but left off by default. Still better than having a second OXP to modify another OXP.
Not to worry! :)

You can tell via js if oolite is using shaders, so you can tweak the hyperspace effect to displace the ship - using bgsHyperMove - only if shaders are on - in fact, I suspect Svengali might implement this very concept in the next version of BGS... ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Kaks wrote:
I suspect Svengali might implement this very concept in the next version of BGS... ;)
I'm communicating with Svengali. :wink:
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Kaks wrote:
Not to worry! :)

You can tell via js if oolite is using shaders, so you can tweak the hyperspace effect to displace the ship - using bgsHyperMove - only if shaders are on - in fact, I suspect Svengali might implement this very concept in the next version of BGS... ;)
In fact this is what the script is doing .-)
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Griff wrote:
wow! fantastic stuff! The hyperspace effect is brilliantly done!
I'll add another Wow! to the chorus....love it. :D
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Well, the borrowed laptop I'm using can run 60 odd FPS on Windows XP, but with no shaders. However, for some reason once I use Ubuntu, I can get 35 FPS, with simple shaders. So, I thought I'd be optimistic and try out the hyperspace effect and see what it's like. It had the unfortunate effect of slowing things down to 1 frame every 25 or so seconds, but I have to say it was pretty spectacular, and it would be amazing to see at full speed. It seems to show on screen how the hyperspace jump looks in my imagination! Most impressed!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

:D :D Thanks .-)
Maybe Corny catches this effect in one of his "Let's Play Oolite" sessions. Let's see...
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Of course I will! Actually, I test possible new candidates for screen recording software specifically with that effect so that it will be as lag-free as possible :)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Corny wrote:
Of course I will! Actually, I test possible new candidates for screen recording software specifically with that effect so that it will be as lag-free as possible :)
Cool :D

But better wait for the next BGS version... then you can show another new feature too... .-)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Svengali wrote:
In fact this is what the script is doing .-)
:)

And to think I could have found that out by just switching shaders off... :)

About the new feature... is it a new, improved galactic jump effect? Or maybe even a realistic docking tunnell?
I can hardly wait! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)