[UPDATE] Deep Horizon - Systems v.0.5.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

8/18/2010
The name of this expansion pack has been changed to the one appearing in the title. This has been done to avoid confusion with Capt. Kev's upcoming System Redux 2 OXP. I was not made aware of his plans to release an SR2 when the name was originally chosen.

Currently, the script names and large parts of the internals to the OXP are unchanged. I am working on an new script for this project, and will update the script names in the download when the new version becomes available.

Any questions?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Any questions?
Yeah :wink:

I would like to use "DH: Systems 0.5.X", the upcoming "System Redux 2", "Famous Planets" and "System Demux" all four together.

It's not a small Ooniverse - it has 2000+ systems. It can take some graphics on its worlds to make them look very distinct.

So I am asking for you guys getting together for a compatibility version of these four for those who would like all of that in their game, presumably not only me (I guess)?

Perhaps at least as an additional option to either/or versions.
Ragged
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ragged »

Seconded.

And a consistent Ooniverse (System X always has 2 planets and 5 moons, the second planet is a gas giant etc.) would allow for much greater variety of missions.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by CaptKev »

Lestradae wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Any questions?
Yeah :wink:

I would like to use "DH: Systems 0.5.X", the upcoming "System Redux 2", "Famous Planets" and "System Demux" all four together.

It's not a small Ooniverse - it has 2000+ systems. It can take some graphics on its worlds to make them look very distinct.

So I am asking for you guys getting together for a compatibility version of these four for those who would like all of that in their game, presumably not only me (I guess)?

Perhaps at least as an additional option to either/or versions.
Most of the textures in 'Deep Horizon - Systems' are already in 'System Redux' and the textures from 'System Demux' have a completely different look and style, but I will be making 'System Redux v1.3' compatible with 'Famous Planets'.

I like the idea behind 'Deep Horizon - Systems' but it's a bit too slow on my machine so prefer the approach employed in 'System Demux' and 'System Redux'.

Sorry if this isn't the reply you wanted but 128 home planet textures, 32 extra planet textures and 32 moon textures should give quite a lot of variety.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Capt. Kev is partially correct. A lot of the textures in DH-Systems are recycled from SR1. This was done specifically because folks (I think you were one, Lestradae) wanted me to not scrap them. DH-Systems will have a lot more unique textures though as I am able to finish them. It's been a slow process for a variety of reasons: I'm a perfectionist ass whose never happy with his own work; I started on some of my hardest-to-complete textures earlier (most of you haven't seen these yet); I bought a house and moved; oh, and I'm a perfectionist ass whose never happy with his own work. :P

I'm glad you like the ideas in DH-Systems, Capt. Kev. :) The new script I'm working on should resolve most of the speed issues. Least the ones can be fixed OXP-side.

I have an idea on compatibility, but will need to speak with Capt. Kev and DrBeeb first to get their approval / buy-in.

@Ragged - All of these OXP's are consistent generation within themselves. If my idea meets with the approval of CaptKev and DrBeeb, there should be some consistency achieved.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ragged wrote:
And a consistent Ooniverse (System X always has 2 planets and 5 moons, the second planet is a gas giant etc.) would allow for much greater variety of missions.
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
@Ragged - All of these OXP's are consistent generation within themselves. If my idea meets with the approval of CaptKev and DrBeeb, there should be some consistency achieved.
Just a small clarification: whichever planet-texture OXP you install, your Ooniverse will always be consistent, as long as you don't de-install it or install another planet-texture OXP.

However, at least System Redux comes with some features for fine-tuning the look, for instance the player (yes, you as well) can choose how many moons he wants to see around the main planet, and how many extra planets per system shall be possible. The default in SR 1 is four and two, I think.

Now, personally I don't want any extra planets except the main planet, and I only want one moon (if any), therefore in my System Redux I have changed the numbers to zero and one, respectively.

And this means that in any system in which you will see let's say three moons and one extra planet, I will only see one moon at the most, and no extra planet. However, the texture of the main planet will be the same for me as for you.

Therefore there is no guarantee of consistency for different players, even if they are using the same OXP, because the OXP can be customized.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Cmd. McLane is correct. I wasn't thinking that through fully. DH-Systems also incorporates player-control for the number of Moons and Planets added to a system.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cmd Cheyd

Any change that you could alter your OXP(s) such that there is never (excepting cases of pirates moving the beacon) a planet right smack in front on the witchspace beacon?

Cheers.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Artistically - No.
The idea is that the pirates DID move the beacon and ambushed someone. Just not you. And pirates not being the most safety or courteous of individuals, just left the buoy as is rather than moving it back into its proper position.

Finding the planet smack-dab in your path but without pirates should tell you that you narrowly avoided an ambush. Thank your gods as they may be.

The whole script is under re-write though, so... Meh, we'll see. :P
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Thanks for the reply.

'Finding the planet smack-dab in your path but without pirates should tell you that you narrowly avoided an ambush' - even if I don't receive a message to the effect that the beacon has been moved? For, often, I do get the planet right in front of me *whilst*, at the same time, receiving no message.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Ahh... THAT is something I should fix :)
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Please don't fix it by increasing the frequency of ambushes or near-ambushes such that that frequency is equal to the frequency with which I get a planet 'dead-on'. That is: please don't fix it by increasing the number of ambushes!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

No, I'll fix the presence of the message. :P
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cmd. Cheyd

Do you mean that, contrary to my hope, you will retain the number of (attempted) ambushes, the only (relevant) change being that, when one of those ambushes occurs, the user will definitely get a message about it? Argh! In that case, I'll be uninstalling the pirate ambushes OXP!
Last edited by UK_Eliter on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I didn't say I wouldn't reduce the chances of an ambush. I said I wasn't going to completely remove the possibility. Big difference.