[UPDATE] Deep Horizon - Systems v.0.5.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I've seen that myself in a few systems, but never thought of it as an issue, but rather as an interesting, and realistic feature. It's really no problem to navigate around that planet and carry on. Heh, use it as an excuse to set course for the sun for a refuel and/or trumble BBQ.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

It might guddle up Random Hits, or other missions where the target is on the witchpoint – station run ... would the AI be smart enough to reroute around the gas giant?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've just looked up the word Guddle - I'd link to the Urban Dictionary definition but I'd have to post an OVER 18s only on the link!

So I'm presuming you didn't mean guddle - although to my amazement it is actually a "real" word! :shock:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've just looked up the word Guddle - I'd link to the Urban Dictionary definition but I'd have to post an OVER 18s only on the link!

So I'm presuming you didn't mean guddle - although to my amazement it is actually a "real" word! :shock:
:!:

No, I meant "guddle", as in "this room is a total guddle", etc. ...

Hmm. Apparently, it's Scots. I had no idea I'd strayed into the demotic. ;)
Dictionary.com wrote:
gud·dle [guhd-l] verb, -dled, -dling, noun Scot.

–verb (used with object)
to catch (fish) by groping with the hands, as under rocks or along a riverbank.

–verb (used without object)
to grope for fish under stones, along a riverbank, etc.

–noun
Informal . a muddled affair; mix-up; confusion.
Origin:
1810–20; prob. imit.
Just for the record there I was using it as per sense 3 ...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Personally I'm not for main planets as gas giants, for a few reasons:

• They're generally too small - gas giants should be huge.
  • There wouldn't be a Galcop station around a gas giant if you follow the Elite-style narrative canon - it's supposed to be the waypoint from the planet to space but there'd be no-where to travel from. (if there's a non-GG in the system then the station would be above that instead).
  • It will potentially break any OXP that uses the planetfall mechanism, for example Planetfall Taxi and Feudal States. By nature they assume the main planet is land-able, and will need to be recoded if it's possible that it isn't - Having the main planet as a planet is a much simpler route for everyone I think.
  • It may be just me, but they seem to be too commonly the main planet - I had 2 of 4 main planet landings denied earlier as the planet was a GG.
Personally I've taken the feature out of my local copy of SR2 as for me it breaks the usefulness of the otherwise nice OXP. If OXPConfig(2) is close, then it could be something ideally suited for switchability (ideally with gas giant main planets off by default).[/color]
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Thargoid wrote:

Personally I've taken the feature out of my local copy of SR2 as for me it breaks the usefulness of the otherwise nice OXP. If OXPConfig(2) is close, then it could be something ideally suited for switchability (ideally with gas giant main planets off by default).
Can you let me know how you did this, by PM please? As like you I don't want GG's as main planets. I use Planetfall a lot.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

JazHaz wrote:
Can you let me know how you did this, by PM please? As like you I don't want GG's as main planets. I use Planetfall a lot.
Modified the this.textureHomePlanet function in the script - details are in your PMs.

One thing I do notice though is that there is no chance/code to set the Gas Giant flag in the this.texturePlanets function. I'm not sure that is correct, as at the moment there won't be any gas giants in SR2 at all (at least for landing purposes) aside from the possibility of main planet ones in the current unmodified script.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That's odd, JazHaz, I'm still running System Redux (original) on 1.74.1 and it's fine...no problems at all.
I will probably install SR2 at some point, perhaps when the hiccups have been ironed out, as the textures do look really nice.
I don't want gas giants as main planets, but would welcome seeing them in most systems...as the RL search for exoplanets has shown, they are plentiful in the Universe, so why not in the Ooniverse as well.
How about a couple of really big ones whizzing round the Sun very close? This seems to be a common arrangement in the RL Universe.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Smivs wrote:
How about a couple of really big ones whizzing round the Sun very close? This seems to be a common arrangement in the RL Universe.
Eh? Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus are our local ones iirc (certainly Jupiter is, I think the other two are too). And they ain't near the Sun, unless someone has moved them since I last looked at an Astronomy book.

If they were close to the Sun they'd boil off and wouldn't (and couldn't) be giants. They're normally farther out from the Sun than temporate worlds.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Thargoid-
Time to catch up on your exoplanetology. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Cmd. Cheyd is correct. It may well be that our solar system, with its gas giants far from the sun, is rather anachronistic.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Does Dr Beeb's System Demux work with DH:SR2?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
What would you expect when installing two oxp's that both replace all textures for the main planet... :?:

You have to choose between the two.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Eric Walch wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
What would you expect when installing two oxp's that replacing all textures for the main planet... :?:
What I was asking, is can the textures be used in conjunction with SR2?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JazHaz wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
What would you expect when installing two oxp's that replacing all textures for the main planet... :?:
What I was asking, is can the textures be used in conjunction with SR2?
If you copy the single textures from System Demux, paste them into SR2's textures-folder, and rename them according to SR2's naming conventions: sure, why not? The SR2-script doesn't actually know or care what a texture looks like, only about its name.