Release: Switching MilHUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Dustin542
Average
Average

Post by Dustin542 »

Alright, thanks for the help.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

It's great, but there are a few niggles I had (I've customised them away, so I'm just putting them here as constructive criticism). The first was that the target isn't highlighted when you have it lined up in your sights in on yellow alert, which is annoying if you are trying to snipe pirates who are running away. The second is that you seem to have set critical mode to activate whenever the energy banks drop below about 1.5 units, regardless of your shields, which tends to result in you suddenly losing your radar, firing pips and targeting enhancement when you ECM during a dogfight. Otherwise, it's a fantastic HUD, and nicely minimalistic compared to the irritating trend towards recreating a cockpit on your screen.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Release: Switching MilHUD

Post by Zireael »

I'm reminded why I love MilHUD... Installed it today and yay, just shot a couple of pirates! Excellent work!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Scanner Targeting Enhancement does not work when MilHUD is green. In yellow and red situation is normal. Is it a bug or decision by the author?
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

BUMP and I'd like to know the answer....
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

"MilHUD 3.4 readme"=MODES: (See included screenshots)
- Docked: All instruments disabled when docked, except the clock and missile/mine display.
- Green: Gun pippers switched off, reticule sensetivity disabled; scanner, zoom, and sights turn green. A good indicator that you're clear to engage Supercruise.
- Yellow: A basic sniper gun pipper appears, reticule sensetivity disabled; scanner, zoom, and sights turn yellow. Masslocked, could be hostiles around. If you want to get in a pre-emptive strike, this mode lets you.
- Red: Gun pipper swiches to advanced mode, reticule sensetivity enabled; zoom and sights turn red, scanner takes on high-contrast blue-green. This is full combat mode, time to kick some ass.
- Critical: Gun pipper, reticule sensetivity, and most instruments disabled. A warning message appears. If you see this, then your shields are down, you're out of energy, and you're about to take a sudden, unwelcome spacewalk. Yank the eject handle.
Judging from this I'd assume it's intentional.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

It explains about reticle sensitivity, not about Scanner Targeting Enhancement (the green box around the targeted ship, if you don't know what it is).
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I know what they are. Hence I used the word "assume". The HUD has most things turned off by default, and then as you progress from green to yellow to red more things are turned on. Hence I assume that the STE follows the same pattern.
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

I looked in the code of the oxp and STE is specifically enabled in yellow and red situations, NOT in green

edit MilHUD-v3.4.oxp/Config/milhudgreen.plist

goto

Code: Select all

<key>dials</key><!-- these are drawn, in order, after the legends -->
	<array>
and insert this :

<dict><!-- Targetting enhancement -->
			<key>equipment_required</key>
			<string>EQ_SCANNER_SHOW_MISSILE_TARGET</string>
			<key>selector</key>
			<string>drawTargetReticle:</string>
		</dict>
That will enable STE for the green situation.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I would like to modify MilHUD to have message & comms gui boxes on screen, instead of messages scrolling up the middle of the screen. This thread, has a solution for other HUDs, but MilHUD's plist is the older type, and I can't work out how to apply it to MilHUD.

I previously used a workaround by sdrubble, which did work, but snarfed the Targeting Enhancement boxes. See this thread.

This is the code I would like to insert into MilHUD which have the settings for the message boxes I would use:

message_gui =
{
   width      =  260; // WIDTH  OF 'INVISIBLE' BOX 
   height     =  180; // HEIGTH OF 'INVISIBLE' BOX  
   x          = -240; // HORIZONTAL OFFSET (more negative equals 'more left ')
   y          =  -25; // VERTICAL   OFFSET (more positive equals 'more up   ') 
   row_height =   10; // 
   };
comm_log_gui =
{
   width      =  260; // WIDTH  OF 'VISIBLE'   BOX
   height     =  140; // HEIGTH OF 'VISIBLE'   BOX (grows towards TOP border) 
   x          =  210; // HORIZONTAL OFFSET of RIGHT-MOST BORDER (more positive equals 'more right')
   y          =  170; // VERTICAL   OFFSET of BOTTOM     BORDER (more positive equals 'more up   ')
   row_height =    9; // 
   };
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

The (unwritten) license on all my creations is "go ahead and tweak, reuse, remix, whatever all you like, but never sell it, and be so kind as to drop me some credit if you remake it into something else."

So there ya go, Jaz. Recoding the oldstyle plist into the new style plist shouldn't be too hard to figure out, though sort of tedious.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
The (unwritten) license on all my creations is "go ahead and tweak, reuse, remix, whatever all you like, but never sell it, and be so kind as to drop me some credit if you remake it into something else."

So there ya go, Jaz. Recoding the oldstyle plist into the new style plist shouldn't be too hard to figure out, though sort of tedious.
I appreciate that would be necessary, but I just don't have the skills. Looking at the wiki's Property List page, just makes my eyes glaze over and a headache start! :(

I might just have to give up on MilHUD, though I like it very much and try to find a similar HUD written in the newer format.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
I might just have to give up on MilHUD, though I like it very much and try to find a similar HUD written in the newer format.
Currently testing Chupacabra HUD, as it has a large scanner similar to MilHUD. However not sure I like the dials in the way of the action.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Eldon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Eldon »

A thread with a python script for converting from xml to openstep can be found here.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Eldon wrote:
A thread with a python script for converting from xml to openstep can be found here.
Ooh! Will investigate, thanks!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.