[RELEASE] : Generic Dynamic HUDs switching

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"when I want to check the trading screen, or read some planet text, its simply obstructive. "
that would probably need additional code to invoke the Trading HUD when you press function keys other than F1~F4, whether that's possible or not is something Thargoid et al will be able to advise on.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Would be very interesting to see. I understand the limitations of the engine, as most HUD's do this, and it isn't just yours. Hardly a point against it, as I really, REALLY like the HUD. I just prefer the functionality of the stock HUD. This is still very exciting, the dynamic hud is such a cool idea, and you implemented it very well.

Id be very interested if it was possible. I've never seen anything like that in another HUD oxp however.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

thanks for the comments :-)

it's still very early days regarding switchy HUDs, so doubtless things will get a bit more refined as things go on and more people release stuff.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, there is an event that detects when gui screens are selected, and which ones. Using that you can select specific HUDs for specific screens.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Killer Wolf wrote:
that would probably need additional code to invoke the Trading HUD when you press function keys other than F1~F4, whether that's possible or not is something Thargoid et al will be able to advise on.
Any news yet if that's possible? I got really used to the HUD now, it simply looks fabulous and it doesn't feel like it's in the way anymore like it did in the beginning :) Just when checking screens 5-8 in mid-flight it bothers my sense of aesthetics to have e.g. the commodities screen with a HUD overlay... Or is that a "feature" of BGS?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

maik wrote:
Just when checking screens 5-8 in mid-flight it bothers my sense of aesthetics to have e.g. the commodities screen with a HUD overlay... Or is that a "feature" of BGS?
Nope. No HUD stuff in BGS.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sorry, yes it's perfectly possible.

There's a JS function for guiScreenChanged, and you can use that to detect what screen is being viewed and then change the HUD accordingly.

Would need careful integration though with the existing scripting to prevent a tug-of-war if the alert condition changed whilst the non-flight screen was being presented.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

When I start Oolite normally - that is, not directly with the savegame -, I get the standard HUD. The only time I see the "computer screen"-frame is when I choose my savegame.
This only applies when I'm docked, though. I didn't notice it until now because I used a little script for hiding the HUD completely when docked (I used a different HUD than yours before).
It doesn't cause any problems when I fire up Oolite with opening the savegame.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] : Generic Dynamic HUDs switching

Post by Corny »

The site is down, is that something permanent? :(
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Corny wrote:
The site is down, is that something permanent?
KW is MIA - has been for some time, and his site has been down for a while too.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

I uploaded all ships from [wiki]Isis_Interstellar[/wiki] into my box and added a mirror link into the wiki.
I missing this dynamic HUD and isisHUD, if anybody can send these to me then I will upload also.
Similar dynamic HUD used in [wiki]Werewolf[/wiki].
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Norby wrote:
I uploaded all ships from [wiki]Isis_Interstellar[/wiki] into my box and added a mirror link into the wiki.
I missing this dynamic HUD and isisHUD, if anybody can send these to me then I will upload also.
Similar dynamic HUD used in [wiki]Werewolf[/wiki].
Hello Norby.

The reason why nobody has mirrored these is that they are not properly licensed (except for KingCobra, if I recall it right). So legally speaking you should not distribute them unless you've received a permission to do so from the author. There has been a few threads in the board about legal issues, you might want to view them. One is stickied.

Haven't got the slightest idea, if the author of these cares or not. By reading old posts, it seems that KW did not care a bit about licensing.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Thank you, now I finished reading the Licensing OXPs thread.

I must cover myself with the "implied conduct" term: the author leaved download links in the wiki pointing directly to the zip files after the words "... are available at:" so he surely wanted to anybody be able to use these ships for free.

The wiki pages of these ships was created in jun 2010 and Killer Wolf was active until may 2012 so if he has not protest against these download links in this 2 years then the "silence gives consent" term can be applied imho. ;)

Furthermore I found the following in some .js files:
this.author = "Thargoid";
or
this.author = "Jens Ayton";

So if Killer Wolf used up some scripting from another OXPs which was licensed properly then I think this ships must be under the same license.

Nevertheless I will remove the files if the author ask it.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Like spara, I think you should be cautious. There is a big difference between explicit consent (which you do really neeed) and implicit consent however this is interpreted.
Making an OXP available for download is very different from giving permission to adapt or modify it, a bit like the way DVDs are usually licensed for private home use only, and must not be lent or distributed in part or whole or used in a non-domestic situation.
Also many OXPs use scripts originally by somebody else. These are either used 'as are' or are adapted for the new OXP, but this would only ever be done if the script or OXP containing it are correctly licensed, or the author gives explicit consent. The fact an OXP contains a license by somebody other than the author in no way implies that the OXP has a license.
There are many cases where an author has not originally licensed their OXPs but has subsequently made it clear that they can be used in any way, and this is OK, but KW has not done this as far as I know.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Technically if a licence isn't included you have to assume the strictest rather than the most lax, and not just implying what you actually want.

As for the scripts (at least the ones with my name on them), I wrote a few for him and have them to him for his use in his OXPs. Personally I have no issue to supply similar scripting to anyone else who may want to write a similarly functioning OXP. I think that script (or evolutions of it) are underneath a few switching HUDs.