Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Your Ad Here - convenience store all white bug

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Your Ad Here - convenience store all white bug

Post by mcarans »

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the convenience store on 1.74 Oolite Linux using 4.1.3 Your Ad Here. On my machine the convenience store is all one colour. Often that colour is white which makes it look like a big light bulb and makes it hard to see the docking area.

Any idea how to fix this?

Cheers,
Mike
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Linux is case-sensitive and this may be a miss-match between shipdata.plist and texture. Have a look in your log file (in .Oolite where your AddOns folder is) to see if it tells you anything, or check the texture name (in textures) against the 'material' specified in the shipdata.plist in Config. The spelling must be identical and use exactly the same case.
Hope this helps,
Smivs.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks

Post by mcarans »

Thanks. I will take a look after work.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Smivs wrote:
Linux is case-sensitive and this may be a miss-match between shipdata.plist and texture. Have a look in your log file (in .Oolite where your AddOns folder is) to see if it tells you anything, or check the texture name (in textures) against the 'material' specified in the shipdata.plist in Config. The spelling must be identical and use exactly the same case.
Hope this helps,
Smivs.
I use YAH on Ubuntu and under 1.73.4 it works fine. However Griff did write some shader code that allowed the hue of the main colour of the Constore to be altered (that's how we pick a different colour for each of the brands). Given that some of Griff's ships have had some unusual colouration effects noted elsewhere (Black Monk Gunship for example). I suspect the shader code is at fault (sorry Griff!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

This is probably the due to tex0, tex1 etc. uniforms no longer being assumed in Oolite 1.74 and it's not using the correct textures for the effects anymore, it just needs a few extra lines in the shipdata.plist to sort this out, i'll have a bash at it this evening
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Smivs wrote:
Hope this helps,
Smivs.
I should have mentioned that I'm using 1.74 on Ubuntu (Karmic) with YAH, and my Con Stores all seem OK. Dunno what that tells us though :?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Griff wrote:
This is probably the due to tex0, tex1 etc. uniforms no longer being assumed in Oolite 1.74 and it's not using the correct textures for the effects anymore, it just needs a few extra lines in the shipdata.plist to sort this out, i'll have a bash at it this evening
I would expect a shader problem also because it would be black with a missing texture. But until now all old shader notations for tex0, tex1 etc that broke with 1.74, broke on all systems, not just on a few. So there might be an other problem as well. But still shader related.

Shaders are defined in the main program, but that contains no station at all. Stations are defined in the different sets. The log might give a clue here. Maybe one of the sets contains an error?
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Smivs wrote:
Hope this helps,
Smivs.
I checked the log .Oolite/log/ - no errors there.

I looked in the .Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp/Config/shipdata.plist
It has:
materials = {
"target_metal.png" = {

.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp/Textures does not have target_metal.png - however this exists in /usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Textures

Anything else I can check?
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Further info:

Sometimes for about 1 second, the convenience store looks ok when at a distance away (never up close), then it reverts back to blank white, apart from the advert round the centre like Yahoo.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

mcarans wrote:
Further info:

Sometimes for about 1 second, the convenience store looks ok when at a distance away (never up close), then it reverts back to blank white, apart from the advert round the centre like Yahoo.
I'm hoping to upgrade to 1.74 on Karmic this weekend - I'll report back on how my nvidia 6600GT performs with YAH...
Selezen wrote:
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

One other thing not related to graphics - the con store on Diso seems to buy food at more than 100 credits per ton, so one can make large profits without even leaving Diso!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

shipdata.plist updates for Sets A- F ( & shader updates for set E)
http://www.box.net/shared/c75m28zsx7

shader updates for your ad here v4 & v4.1.4
http://www.box.net/shared/1un4yf9lvt

updates fix uniforms, they also take out the gl_TexCord[0] variable that causes problems with some ATI drivers and add Oolite Materials settings to add glowmaps to no shader systems
There still seem to be some missing texture files though, i'm seeing this in the log

Code: Select all

[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames.png".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_C_ad_large_2frames.png".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_E_ad_large_2frames.png".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_D_ad_large_2frames.png".
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

mcarans wrote:
One other thing not related to graphics - the con store on Diso seems to buy food at more than 100 credits per ton, so one can make large profits without even leaving Diso!
The constore at Diso features heavily in the Short Stories "Lazarus" and "Snake Charming" - basically - the constores are that (in their original guise) places where criminals are sold off as slaves - but while awaiting sale they must be fed - because Diso is an Agro world most traders buy food and jump out, thus leaving the constore with insufficient food to feed the criminals! As Galcop says they can't be allowed to starve to death, high prices are offered so word gets out and keen trader can whizz across the system and flog all of his food at the Constore. Of course the trader dreams of then whizzing back to the main system station and buying up more stock and repeating the trip, but alas, and not unsurprisingly, main station stores of all food products is completely depleted. And if you take a trip elsewhere and come back you could well find that the constore is overstocked and offering LESS than the main station!

So that's the Ooinversal explanation.

The RL(tm) explanation is that Dr. Nil got the calcs for the commodities plist wrong and sometimes (often) certain items overflow and instead of being very low as intended actually end up being very high.

But I like it - a serendipitous mistake - allows for rich and fertile story telling and a fast buck (Cr) to be made.
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
shipdata.plist updates for Sets A- F ( & shader updates for set E)
http://www.box.net/shared/c75m28zsx7

shader updates for your ad here v4 & v4.1.4
http://www.box.net/shared/1un4yf9lvt

updates fix uniforms, they also take out the gl_TexCord[0] variable that causes problems with some ATI drivers and add Oolite Materials settings to add glowmaps to no shader systems
There still seem to be some missing texture files though, i'm seeing this in the log

Code: Select all

[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_C_ad_small_2frames.png".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_C_ad_large_2frames.png".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_E_ad_large_2frames.png".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_D_ad_large_2frames.png".
I'll have a look at my old beta version Griff and see if there's anything there - if not - I might knock a couple of animated ads up (or, more likely, copy and rename from one of the other sets!)

BTW, really quick turn around on the fixes - (not just YAH all things glowy in your oxps) - on behalf of all ooliters - thank-you.
Selezen wrote:
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Thanks for your fast turnaround. The con store looks better but not perfect. I get something similar to you in my logs:
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_B_ad_small_2frames.png".

Now half the con store looks fantastic and the other half where the docking bay is located is white with some pinkish bits.

I liked DaddyHoggy's explanation about the Diso con store with its slaves. I did find though that even when I went to Leesti and came back (after having sold as much as I could of food to the con store), the prices remained very high.[/img]