Stellar Serpents OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

Doctor Poo! The worst sci-fi show ever made...

Moving on.

I found the serpent, it met Mr Cascade Mine and boy did it go up with a hellova bang! :D
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

RustiSwordz wrote:

Moving on.
Are we trolling? :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

RustiSwordz wrote:
I found the serpent, it met Mr Cascade Mine and boy did it go up with a hellova bang! :D
And why did it explode from a Q mine? It shouldn't have a quirium drive!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Drop a Q-mine in an asteroid field and watch what happens...

The serpents are killed by a Q-mine the same as anything else is (except planets/moons/suns and system main stations). But they don't have Quirium engines, so they don't become energy blasts themselves (same as asteroids, cargo pods and anything else like that).

Other than detecting and disabling the Q-bomb, there's no scriptable way for anything to survive being hit with a Q-bomb cloud (at least at the moment). Everything except the above noted succumbs.

But as they're somewhat on the large side, as said they do go up in quite a pretty fashion as the cloud encompasses them ;)
Last edited by Thargoid on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
RustiSwordz wrote:

Moving on.
Are we trolling? :wink:
No just a scurvy space dog. Yarr. :wink:
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

As people seem to like such things, I've tried to make a small video of one of the serpents. Not the best quality ever seen, but it shows what they look like:

YouTube video of a Stellar Serpent.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Thargoid wrote:
As people seem to like such things, I've tried to make a small video of one of the serpents. Not the best quality ever seen, but it shows what they look like:

YouTube video of a Stellar Serpent.
Very nice, sir. I finally caught up with one of these brutes, though by the time I got there it was just the head and one loose "corpse segment". And as you showed in the video, they're not defenseless! But I got a nice yummysnack for killing the head. Took a hardhead and two full mil laser runs to do it, though. You make it look easy in that vid. :oops:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Indeed not - where would the fun be in that? ;)

Are you still using the pre-release beta-test version by the way? If so then I would update to the current one. There were a few last-minute testing updates which may not be in your current one. Nothing too major, but just for completeness...
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Thargoid wrote:
Indeed not - where would the fun be in that? ;)
For certain definitions of "fun". :twisted:
Thargoid wrote:
Are you still using the pre-release beta-test version by the way? If so then I would update to the current one. There were a few last-minute testing updates which may not be in your current one. Nothing too major, but just for completeness...
I am indeed still using the pre-release, and will update immediately. And thanks for giving me an early shot at it! The ooniverse just keeps getting longer and more wiggly, to my continued delight.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, found a minor bug in the OXP (tail segment wasn't going dead when a body segment was destroyed due to using a different role). So I've fixed that and updated the OXP to v1.01.

Also in the new version the snakes length is variable, to make it a little more interesting. Same download OXP as before, in the first post of this thread or via the links below.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"tail segment wasn't going dead when a body segment was destroyed"

now there's a nasty idea : Space Hydras. if you destroy a body segment instead of the head, it's splits in two and the tail but grows a new head, leaving you to fight two serpents.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Sorry Thargoid that I didn't found the time to Beta test it but from the video it looks impressive.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

In my encounter with a serpent there was an oddity: the last body segment before the tail segment behaved oddly. It appeared and disappeared (was rendered and wasn't rendered) seemingly randomly, which made for a strange flickering effect. Not sure what could cause that.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Minor update to add a missing line to shipdata.plist, so the plasma bolts are something more than just a light-show.

Thanks to Commander McLane for pointing the (unwanted) effect out ;)
SpitJock
Average
Average

Possibly a dumb question but...

Post by SpitJock »

Now that I'm in the same system as a serpent (that was difficult enough to organise - they always seem to appear halfway across the galaxy) how do I actually find the flippin' thing?

I want to see what happens when I insert this here nuclear torpedo I 'found' into it.... :D
<insert Random Pithy Comment>