Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Top 10 OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks

Post by mcarans »

Thanks for all your feedback. I shall look at these.

Any nice new carriers and stations OXPs (that don't change the balance of the game too much)?
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Another Galaxy 1 mission OXP (which also adds a station) is Tanaris.oxp. This begins in the Lerelace system, and it's the only place you'll find the new station.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And when you get to G3, try the Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp HQ in Aquatics. And before then it'll give you some new ships into the Ooniverse.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

I'll shamelessly advertise my OXPs, as others have done :).

Baakili Far Trader for flavor
Z-Ships and Far Arm Ships for variety, Z-Ships being pretty much identically balanced as the core game and Far Arm Ships add some slightly more powerful ships as well as equals to default ships.
Link to them in my sig.

Oh yes, I use a lot of eye-candy and variety OXPs in addition to those aforementioned 3, like:
Your AD Here
Griff's shipset
M-pack (rusties)
Shady Sung's
Neolite Ships
Neolite Companion
Neolite Wolfies
PAGroove stations
DeepspaceShip
Famous Planets
Snoopers
Bloomberg markets
and many more.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Can ship sets be used together?

Post by mcarans »

Are ship sets mutually exclusive or can you have more than one and see different versions of the same ship type like Cobra MK III?
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Traffic Control

Post by mcarans »

I tried the Traffic Control OXP. I got messages when leaving the station to move out of the way, but didn't seem to get any when I flew away, turned round and tried to dock. Is there anything you need to do to activate the docking guidance?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Leave the Aegis and come back in again is the simplest way.

Busy main stations aren't designed for new commanders to practice docking, that's why they built Lave Academy with it's docking course ;)
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

How far out goes the aegis of a station?

Post by mcarans »

Thanks for the advice.

1. Forgive my ignorance, but how far out is the aegis of the Lave station ie. how can I tell when I have left the aegis?

2. Also, on a separate note I found that some OXPs do in effect overwrite others in that the Lave station looks different after each one I install - is only one OXP's coriolis station used everywhere or is a random mix from multiple OXPs used?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"1. Forgive my ignorance, but how far out is the aegis of the Lave station ie. how can I tell when I have left the aegis? "

there's an "S" indicator on your HUD.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: How far out goes the aegis of a station?

Post by Smivs »

mcarans wrote:
2. Also, on a separate note I found that some OXPs do in effect overwrite others in that the Lave station looks different after each one I install - is only one OXP's coriolis station used everywhere or is a random mix from multiple OXPs used?
As far as I know the selection is a random one, in other words any of the OXP stations you have installed could appear. This does not allow for any over-writes, where the OXP author has specified his/her station should have priority. This is unlikely.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Maybe just last installed one gets used?

Post by mcarans »

I wasn't suggesting any OXP author has some means to make their coriolis station have priority, merely that Oolite may just pick one of the OXP's coriolis station to use everywhere and ignore the other OXPs either purposely by looking at file modification date or something, or perhaps just randomly.

Can anyone confirm that coriolis stations (or other objects) in multiple OXPs will definitely get used?

Thanks for the aegis info.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Re: How far out goes the aegis of a station?

Post by caracal »

Smivs wrote:
As far as I know the selection is a random one, in other words any of the OXP stations you have installed could appear. This does not allow for any over-writes, where the OXP author has specified his/her station should have priority. This is unlikely.
True of coriolis stations, as far as I know. But there is actually one kind of station (torus) that always appears in specific systems, because they're listed in the planetinfo.plist.

I was dinking around with the new Nuit station, and decided I wanted them to appear in Corporate systems of TL 12 or higher. And indeed I could make them appear there, but I couldn't make them the main station. If I gave them an existing station role (coriolis, ico, or dodo), then they'd be the main station, but would appear anywhere those other stations can appear, which is anywhere. You can control the probability, but as far as I have found, that's all. I wound up using the planetinfo.plist solution like the torus stations do, which isn't pretty, but it works.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

There are ways to do it.

To explain a little more, ships (and stations to some degree) are added based on their roles (pirate, trader, station etc). The more OXPs you have, the larger some of the pools become of entities that have that role. Hence when the populator says "I need a ship with the role trader" it picks one from that populator. The weightings of the ships can be adjusted either higher or lower (the numbers in brackets you can see in some OXPs shipdata.plist in their roles lines) - see here in the wiki.

So by having multiple OXPs adding different Coriolis designs, what you're doing is expanding the pool of available stations that can be chosen from when the populator needs a Coriolis for the main station. But aside from the aforementioned weighting possibility, it's random.

If you want a specific station, there are two things you can do. One way is as stated use planetinfo.plist to fix it to a given station. The other way is to use a hugely high weighting, but also set conditions in the shipdata.plist entry that limits the station to a given galaxy and system ID. Hence that station will have a hugely higher (but not totally sure) chance of being picked when a Coriolis is required, but by setting the conditions you can disqualify it from all other systems except the specified one.

Note throughout I say Coriolis, but you can do the same trick with Ico and Dodec stations. But what you can't do is make a system the main station once the system has been generated (ie once the player is in it).
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Just to add to the explanations, while the exact type of station you get in a specific system can change depending on exactly which oxps you've got, it won't change from one game to the next.

If you get one type of station at a particular system, you should always get that type of station when returning to that system, as long as your oxp set isn't changed.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)