Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Top 10 OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Top 10 OXPs

Post by mcarans »

For newbies like me, the number of OXPs is bewildering. Finding out which are good and stable is difficult. Can anyone tell me what are the top 10 OXPs?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I am certain that there are as many Top 10 OXPs as the number of users in this forum. The best way to go about it is to decide what you want to have in your game and take it from there.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

exactly. and, top ten of *what aspect*? ships? missions? equipment?
etc etc
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What ones do you have installed?

Post by mcarans »

Thanks for your replies. Could you tell me what ones you have installed?

Griff's Normalmapped Ships OXP is used as the picture of the Cobra MK III on the Oolite web site - hence maybe you would view this as a "must have" OXP? Maybe the Famous Planets OXP could also be considered in this way? Or the Planetfall OXP?

I figure there are probably some "must have" OXPs and then others that are more nice to have/personal preference.

What would be your "must have" OXPs? If you want to split them by aspect like ships, missions then that's fine.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: What ones do you have installed?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

mcarans wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Could you tell me what ones you have installed?

Griff's Normalmapped Ships OXP is used as the picture of the Cobra MK III on the Oolite web site - hence maybe you would view this as a "must have" OXP? Maybe the Famous Planets OXP could also be considered in this way? Or the Planetfall OXP?

I figure there are probably some "must have" OXPs and then others that are more nice to have/personal preference.

What would be your "must have" OXPs? If you want to split them by aspect like ships, missions then that's fine.
A lot of the must haves are based on PC performance though - a PC with sub-1GB memory and a non-shader capable gfx card and things like Griff's ships or Famous Planets, would look considerably less gorgeous.

What's the spec of your machine, what kind of game do you want to play and that will lead to a more specific set of recommendations.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Spec

Post by mcarans »

My machine is a quad core machine with fairly decent graphics card, so probably can handle the most graphically complex OXPs.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Personally, there's just too much to choose from - even for me to make my own personal list.

A couple that I would mention, though, are Random Hits and Dredgers. Both of these make it possible for a combat oriented pilot to make a decent living, without having to secure large haulage cargo contracts.

I think that you will have to tell us how you like to play, since the recommeded OXPs will vary drastically depending on your own play style: e.g.

When I used to be a trader I considered the OXPs within Armoury (at the time they were all separate OXPs) to be crucial. The probe missile let me sniff out a system ahead of time, the combat drones took the heat off me during combat, captured Thargons were excellent when I was outnumbered, the anti-missile capabilities helped alleviate the slow recharge rate of my shield generator (Python at the time) so I didn't always have to use my ECM, and the 3-in-1 missile packs were excellent when it came to forcing my opponents to use up their energy cells in multiple ECMs.

Now that I am playing as a fighter though, I hardly use any of the above (sorry Thargoid!), since my craft simply doesn't need as much help as my trader did. So you see how OXPs I considered 'crucial' now hardly get used?

It's too monolithic to ask "What are the top 10?", it would be better to start with "Here is how I like to play, now what would you recommend?" :wink:
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

I currently run with 85 oxp's and as far as my play is concerned they are all my top ten. Some are there for eye candy and game atmosphere, some to add variety, some for mission opportunities, some for equipment and some for game balancing (if life is getting to easy I add things to make it harder.)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think that the core game is well balanced, has everything you need, and is entirely playable.

For a beginner, I would advise against installing anything until you know the game and know how you would like it changed. Many of the missions will not activate until later in the game, and many of the ships are more powerful than the initial set.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr James wrote:
I think that the core game is well balanced, has everything you need, and is entirely playable.

For a beginner, I would advise against installing anything until you know the game and know how you would like it changed. Many of the missions will not activate until later in the game, and many of the ships are more powerful than the initial set.
Although I would caveat that slightly by saying that OXPs that do like for like swaps such as Griff or Neolite ship sets, System Redux, Famous Planets are fine and even welcome additions - as are atmospheric addons such as Snoopers (and possibly Your Ad Here - although this does introduce a new place to trade and a new thing to fly in to on exit from witchspace - so not strictly non-interference)
Selezen wrote:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

another_commander wrote:
I am certain that there are as many Top 10 OXPs as the number of users in this forum. The best way to go about it is to decide what you want to have in your game and take it from there.
This is the key point...it depends what you want.
As a newcomer you are probably still in Galaxy One, so it's worth looking at OXPs for the early galaxies such as Famous Planets for eye candy. Also System Redux is a beautiful way to have sexy planets everywhere.
For ships you're spoilt for choice. Griffs are gorgeous and the Neolites are a bit different (a bit art-deco I always think). If you want the standard ships but better looking, my Shipset (see link in my sig) gives you a 'realistic look' replacement set (and the SD version will work on even the most humble computer), and Deepspace Ships does the same job but with some funky 'Manga' designs.
As for missions, well there are hundreds, many set in specific galaxies . Again here consider where you are both in terms of location (galaxy) and level of skill. There's no point in installing an OXP which you won't be able to use for weeks or months, or will see you dead every five minutes.
I'm sure others will make their own suggestions, and remember you can always try them out, and if they are not what you're looking for they can easily be removed.
Happy hunting, and enjoy :)

PS, for what it's worth, I use:
Behemoth
Boa Clipper
Contractor
Galactic Navy
RedSet
Rock Hermit locator
Smivs'Shipset (SD)
Smivs'Shipset Supplement
System Redux
Your Ad Here (A-F)

which co-incidently is 10, but I think most people actually average 15-20 OXPs
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Types of OXPs

Post by mcarans »

In terms of style of play, I am only just beginning (although I played Elite many years ago). I guess trading to begin with.

I would like any OXPs that add eye candy or improve sound.

I was reminded of how difficult it was to dock manually when I first started, so I guess any OXPs that help with flying in some way.

Missions I can add later (unless they're missions for beginners).
DaddyHoggy

Re: Types of OXPs

Post by DaddyHoggy »

mcarans wrote:
In terms of style of play, I am only just beginning (although I played Elite many years ago). I guess trading to begin with.

I was reminded of how difficult it was to dock manually when I first started, so I guess any OXPs that help with flying in some way.

Missions I can add later (unless they're missions for beginners).
Docking is very easy now, or so most find, with the additional Nav Buoy placed conveniently in front of the station entrance.

Custom Sounds is a nice sound set OXP, as is "Hal's Hot Sis" - I haven't used the rest so can't comment.

Asteroid Storm, Long Way Round, and Black Baron are all G1 based novice friendly missions.

Everybody trades to start with, you have to, you only have 100Cr in the bank - nobody picks pirate, Bounty Hunter, Courier, etc until they've got enough cash behind them to pick the next suitable ship to match their (life)style choice.
Selezen wrote:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

mcarans wrote:

.....so I guess any OXPs that help with flying in some way.
What about Lave Academy. That one is specially designed as starter oxp.
Also traffic_control.oxp is mend to help learning to dock easily with guidance. We veteran often forget those but they are good starters.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

mcarans wrote:

Firstly a good OXP to have if you have trouble with docking is the Traffic Control by Thargoid. This adds Traffic Control personnel to the stations to give help to people docking. EDIT: Ninja'd!

As for eye candy, there is lots available. Personally I would go for Your Ad Here! which adds advertising hoardings and another station near the witchpoints where you can get special trade prices etc.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!