wot are all you writers up to?

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

The term "grammar Nazi" is only used by those who are wrong.

*Raises nose, and looks down upon Rebecca*
Scowpilot
Average
Average

Post by Scowpilot »

All I can say in my own defence is, I'm an English Lang and Lit graduate, and the course had a heavy-ish slant toward linguistics. I'm sure I'm not the only one (please don't let me be the only one! :) ). I'm also a writer. It's what I laughably refer to as my trade. That all means I tend to be a little picky - or seem to be, even if it's really just a quick explanation. Some people genuinely don't get it, mainly because the education system let them down/they never had a teacher who said anything beyond "just because" - though it was probably just a typo. :D[/i]
Maybe my ship really should be towed away as garbage...
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

Poro wrote:
The term "grammar Nazi" is only used by those who are wrong.

*Raises nose, and looks down upon Rebecca*
there was a soft click and hum from behind Poro...

...too late he recognised the distinctive sound of the charging circuit on a portable military handgun...

'Die punk!'

'Surely you mean - Die, punk?'

'Whatever'

BANG!

'Hesperus! More jobs to do!'

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

:shock:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

:D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I'm afraid I can't comment on this thread, as I'm already dead.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

drew wrote:
I'm afraid I can't comment on this thread, as I'm already dead.

Cheers,

Drew.
DaddyHoggy ruffled his evolutionary defunct flight feathers uncomfortable and slowly, as if to give the swirling spirits time to detach and fly free, closed up the Ouija board.

"That's quite enough of that I think. Will Drew ever be back? The truth is, I just don't know."
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Scowpilot wrote:
All I can say in my own defence is, I'm an English Lang and Lit graduate, and the course had a heavy-ish slant toward linguistics. I'm sure I'm not the only one (please don't let me be the only one! :) ). I'm also a writer. It's what I laughably refer to as my trade. That all means I tend to be a little picky - or seem to be, even if it's really just a quick explanation. Some people genuinely don't get it, mainly because the education system let them down/they never had a teacher who said anything beyond "just because" - though it was probably just a typo. :D[/i]
Understandable. That said as a man with a degree in media production (not studies) Gainfully employed in the film industry for a good 7 years now (touch wood). One of the core parts of my learning was semiotics it's evolution and usage to expedite specific thought. This also covered how it is directly used by popular culture and sub culture to define itself. Mostly through encoded alteration, substitution or simplification.

So yes I "get it", I just have a slightly different perspective of "it" that's all. Not that I think there is a right and wrong to this, still it would waste a few hours sipping ciders in a summer beer garden as a point of topical debate.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ClymAngus wrote:
it's evolution
its evolution ("it" doesn't take a possessive apostrophe) ... :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Mind you, given how often "its" is given a possessive apostrophe, common usage might just make it official. Or – more likely – society might go the way of Fox News's ticker and abolish the apostrophe altogether (presumably because it – like so much else – makes their core audience confused and angry ;)). Whereas I get confused and angry at watching a major broadcaster saying things like "... BPs boss admits he wont be able to prevent further leakage".
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Disembodied wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
it's evolution
its evolution ("it" doesn't take a possessive apostrophe) ... :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Mind you, given how often "its" is given a possessive apostrophe, common usage might just make it official. Or – more likely – society might go the way of Fox News's ticker and abolish the apostrophe altogether (presumably because it – like so much else – makes their core audience confused and angry ;)). Whereas I get confused and angry at watching a major broadcaster saying things like "... BPs boss admits he wont be able to prevent further leakage".
Keep up the good work! Your justifying my argument too! Your working within a system of sighs and wonders which is constantly changing. Any truth offered is therefore time specific and may yet with time give way to a new standard rendering it false. :D
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ClymAngus wrote:
Keep up the good work! Your justifying my argument too!
No no, “Your justifying my argument two!”.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ahruman wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Keep up the good work! Your justifying my argument too!
No no, “Your justifying my argument two!”.
I 4t u wz on hldy?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ClymAngus wrote:
Any truth offered is therefore time specific and may yet with time give way to a new standard rendering it false. :D
Yea, verily, thou speakest aright! A couple of thousand years ago there was a bit of a tizz about the newfangled fashion for putting spaces between words: the old school thought that it made reading too easy and that people would skim over stuff without taking it in properly. And without those pioneers of word-spacing, we wouldn't have a space to press, Commander!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Disembodied wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Any truth offered is therefore time specific and may yet with time give way to a new standard rendering it false. :D
Yea, verily, thou speakest aright! A couple of thousand years ago there was a bit of a tizz about the newfangled fashion for putting spaces between words: the old school thought that it made reading too easy and that people would skim over stuff without taking it in properly. And without those pioneers of word-spacing, we wouldn't have a space to press, Commander!
Hey, evolution; it is a bitch. :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ClymAngus wrote:
I 4t u wz on hldy?
wot part of “two marrows” downt u under stand?