Famous Planets 2.5.OXP and Famous Planets for Povray

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Famous Planets 2.5.OXP and Famous Planets for Povray

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
@ El Viejo (you want to do Zaqueso?)
"4 25" = Zaquesso (G5 #25):

This world is fabled for its exciting Zaquessoian evil juice, a fiery liquor distilled from the purple xagave cactus. But the jewel of Zaquesso is Crater Lakes Wilderness Reserve! Boasting spectacular scenery and superb samlon fishing, it is renowned throughout the sector. As is The Final Eight, a dimly-lit bar in Spacetown frequented by veteran spacers. Quality music and fine liquor in abundance, but keep your blaster handy!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
...and superb samlon fishing...
Hmmm, don't think I've ever caught one of them :P :lol:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Samlon: indigenous aquatic species from the planet Avalon (Tau Ceti 4). Best eaten before they grow up ...
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Smivs wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
...and superb samlon fishing...
Hmmm, don't think I've ever caught one of them :P :lol:
What? Have you never caught an island before :P
Last edited by Fatleaf on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cody

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
Samlon: Best eaten before they grow up
Indeed! Pan-seared, served on a bed of wild rice and spinach, with harissa sauce! Very tasty!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thanks! adding it to the planetinfo.plist :mrgreen:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Disembodied wrote:
Samlon: indigenous aquatic species from the planet Avalon (Tau Ceti 4). Best eaten before they grow up ...
The inhabitans of Avalon even have their own website
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Samlon?

Related to old Earth Salmon perhaps?

:wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody

Post by Cody »

Samlon are "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike salmon".

Apologies to Douglas Adams!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
Samlon are "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike salmon".

Apologies to Douglas Adams!
Given our discussions on another thread - I was almost inspired to do the same! :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

pagroove wrote:
For planet numbers 15, 17, 19 and 20 I'm gonna ask you to provide a text so I can rest a little and in this way we can get different writing styles.
#15: Ceedra
The Fierce Lizards of Ceedra have been engaged in what appears to outsiders as a deadly civil war for many years. In fact, due to their extreme regenerative abilities, native fatalities are rare, and the conflict is seen as a combination of sport and religious ritual. Visitors who do not share the Ceedran's resilience are advised to wear full combat armour at all times.

#17: Atriso
Atriso is a fertile farming world, its green fields clearly visible from space, but even the wide variety of foods it produces cannot satisfy their gourmet tastebuds. The ruling chef-dictators of Atriso import hundreds of tons of exotic foods each day from across the eight charts, hoping to find the perfect combination of flavours.

#19: Azaqu
The pink oceans of Azaqu are covered in a thin layer of floating silt which gives them their distinctive colour. Beneath the waves, the lobstoid population grows corals for their cousins elsewhere. The planetary sport is Zero-G cricket, and the Az-es trophy is contested annually with nearby Leesti.

#20: Retila
Retila's harsh rocky surface was unpleasant at best, but its sun's activity made it worse. A particularly nasty solar flare destroyed most of the orbitals soon after colonisation, and drove the population deep underground to survive. They are now unable to patrol their space lanes, but are welcoming to the determined visitor who makes it to the surface.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Can I be a bit of a rebel and give you some descriptions for galaxy seven :roll:
I spend all of my time there and have a particular affinity to it :D

G7

#000 Dizaen.
Dizaen is one of those planets that promises to be fun and yet ends up rather boring. Being near the galactic centre there should be a high level of traffic. But being a low tech level insectoid planet the aroma is said to be far from pleasant.

#001 Anenen
The frogs on Anenen have for centuries been cursed by dreadful solar activity which has caused a large portion of the population to develop mental problems. This has given the planet to get the reputation of being silly and in some quarters downright weird. The government have been researching technology to counter the deadly rays.

#002 Ceor
Being near a major trade route Ceor benefits from easy access for the millions of fans of its Zero-G Cricket, which the planet is noted for. But the unwary tourist is warned to watch their manners as the inhabitants are not noted for their sense of humour.

#003 Ededer
Ededer has the reputation of being the backside of the high tech worlds. The communists there are of the strictest of them all resulting in making the planet rather tedious. The insects there can bore the most dedicated of individuals with their interest of industry.

#004 Artesore
The human colonials on Artesore are not the cleanest of individuals with the main game of the planet being mud hockey. It really is a filthy sport being played on farmers fields once the livestock has been moved on. There are rumours of occasional earthquakes but they appear to be more of a nuisance than deadly. It has yet to be determined how the anarchic governmental system can have a fair education

#005 Enususge
The people here are poor farmers. They don’t seem to have any sort of imagination at all. It is still a mystery how they managed to organise themselves into a corporate state. But this world is so dull there isn’t much to say about it except that it's... well... dull!

#006 Raedre
The fun to be had on this planet is never ending. For industrialists they certainly know how to relax. The main choice is the highly popular, Zero-G cricket, with the Ceorans their biggest rivals. The Lobsters are also known for their ability to drink Ultra Squeezings by the bucket load.

#007 Sorezaan
The fierce frogs on Sorezaan will pick a fight with any passing life form. They just love to take out court action for the slightest of slights. The democratic governmental system doesn’t help the situation but since the politicians are pandering after a next term in office they actually make it worse and as a result this place is a mightily tedious place to visit as there are warning signs everywhere and health and safety rules that crush the enjoyment over even the tamest of activities.

#008 Aaored
The human colonials on Aaored are another example of democracy at its worst. The two main political parties are parted by one issue only and they are on as opposite ends of the political spectrum as you can get. That is the deadly Aaoredian Monkey, with thousands of people getting killed every month. But they are also intensely cute. As such, one party wants to wipe them out the other wants to breed more of them. Caution is advised when visiting.

#009 Lebedixe
The Bug-Eyed lizards on Lebedixe are of the most friendly life forms you will find anywhere in the eight. As such they have become reasonably noted for their eccentric love of tourists. If it wasn’t for their love also of industry this planet could become the jewel of the seventh, but with a technology level at a low six, it will always be the holiday destination of the working classes.

That's the first ten done.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow! Thank you all very much for the latest new planet descriptions. Will put them in. Soon I bring out an updated plantinfo.plist for Famous Planets 2.5. and probably also a description-only.oxp (for running in combination with Povray planets.oxp).
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@Cim and @Fatleaf,

Just re-read the descriptions. Enjoying them immensely. They will be in the OXP and I hope you make more!
As you both have probably noticed is that describing planets is a tedious job. That is because after the 8 descriptions you run out of ideas. However considering this you both did a fab job at coming up with new and fun F7 screens.

As promised I will put up an updated Fp2.5 planet info.plist and a standalone version :)
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

If it helps anybody to know how I make them up it might inspire others to try it themselves.
I look at the original description, then the type of life form inhabiting the planet and also the government type and now and then the tech level. With that you can usually get a story emerging. Also looking at their location in the galaxy helps a little.

I will work on the next ten for the seventh octant. I like doing them as a wee distraction from a WIP I'm working on.