Famous Planets 2.5.OXP and Famous Planets for Povray

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Famous Planets 2.5.OXP and Famous Planets for Povray

Post by maik »

cim wrote:
maik wrote:
It's a great idea to merge these two projects and provide more extensive planet description. How about thinking not only about geographic and cultural features, but also taking the form of government into account? Or the industrialization and wealth? Which makes me think, can these descriptions be pluggable? So that if, for example, New Cargoes is installed it can change the economic parts of the description.

I guess that would require some sort of framework, maybe like this:
  • There are place holders for planet description, government, and economy. The default planet description is generated by Oolite, the others are left empty.
  • OXPs, such as yours, can change either of these place holders. In your case, you would change the planet description. In the case of New Cargoes, the economy description could be changed. In the case of Feudal States, the government description could be set.
  • I think each OXP would need to define whether it sets the base description (which replaces the existing base) or if it is a mission description, in which case it would be added to the existing one to allow for multiple missions providing info on the same planet without overwriting each other.
Does that make sense?
I'll see if I can knock together a proof of concept this evening, I think.

(It'll really mess with OXPs that write to system.info.description outside of the framework, but there can't be that many of them, and we can always write compatibility modules if necessary)
Yeay, cool!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@ Fatleaf: Your text is in. Do you have a save game in G7 so that I can test. Or can I make one myself (place my commander in G7)
@ El Viejo (you want to do Zaqueso?) and Disembodied. Thanx to you both the corrections are in.

Anyone has a nice text for the nr: 5/6?

# 5. Tiraor (172,176), {57,134,159,242,243} within 7.0 LY. Radius 4780 km.
Communist, Rich Ind. Pop. 4.1 B, Prod. 26240 MCr. HC: 5, TL: 10, Blue Fat Insects.
Tiraor is a revolting little planet.>

(for how it looks look in povray planets)

# 6. Rabedira (69,249), {2,17,94,146,153,196} within 7.0 LY. Radius 3909 km.
Multi-Government, Average Ind. Pop. 3.6 B, Prod. 15552 MCr. HC: 6, TL: 9, Human Colonials.
The planet Rabedira is well known for its inhabitants' ancient loathing of sit coms but ravaged by dreadful civil war

(see Povray planets for the looks)

-----
nr7 is Lave and that planet is already in FP
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
@ El Viejo (you want to do Zaqueso?)
I'll be more than happy to do Zaquesso, the jewel of the fifth.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

pagroove wrote:
Or can I make one myself (place my commander in G7)
I found the save game which comes with the GalDrive Pod OXP (an Anaconda with enough galactic hyperdrives to do a complete eight) very useful for testing planetinfo changes in galaxies I wasn't in.
Cody

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
Do you have a save game in G7 so that I can test.
PM waiting for you, PA.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

El Viejo wrote:
pagroove wrote:
Do you have a save game in G7 so that I can test.
PM waiting for you, PA.
Got it! Thanx for that!.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

me no native English speaker either. anyway :

edit : oh - I started to write before reading newer posts. Errm. But nice to see I caught at least some things right. /edit
pagroove wrote:

Tibedied

This planet is most notable for Tibediedian Arma brandy. This brandy sometimes contains a larva which is deadly to some species. The planet is mostly covered in dense jungle and is a magnet for nature lovers tree huggers :mrgreen:. The attraction is only strengthened by being the only green planet in the sector. Around the poles, there are flat areas with cities. The Royal House of Tebedied welcomes travellers and traders who make planetfall after visiting the tournaments at the Royal Hunting Lodge in orbit.

to make planetfall ? sounds really strange to me. But I do not know if planetfall means each and every planetary landing, or just the original/ first landing/colonisation/invasion. (don't know the titular game)

also : maybe something with : [who] are encouraged to make planetfall ...

Qube

Qube is reasonably well known for its great dense forests and deep blue oceans. It is dotted with islands and inland seas. The temperate climate provides the inhabitants with an abundance of food. Sadly the planet is scourged by a long-lasting civil war between the large food corporations and the farmers who are robbed of their land for quick profit. Visitors are advised to check the tourist bulletins to see if there is any conflict around the landing spot.

(hyphen in long-lasting, does not clearly show with colour-coding)

Leleer

The world Leleer is very noted for its pink Leleerian Er plant plantations but beset by frequent civil war. Unless you are an biologist it is best to stay away from the surface. Many Few travellers don't make the trip back to the station. Also there are many known cases where traders get got kidnapped and only came back after their families payid a large ransom. This is mostly done to put pressure on the Dictators of Leleer.

very noted for - I am not sure if this is possible. Would I have to, I'd prefer well noted for
Many + not = Few

Biarge

(already in FP)

Xequerin

The world Xequerin is fabled for its weird volcanoes and the Xequerinian mountain lobstoid. The best known volcano is Mount Lexuqberen named after the Coomoonin lobstoid poet Lexuq. His poem about Mount Lexuqberen is widely known. Lexuq later died on Dienon in galaxy 4., a planet much like his birthplace because it is : notable for its great volcanoes and its inhabitants' eccentric love for poetry. It is rumored that his death gave birth to the Coomuoonin.

Comoonin - as in Moomin. 8)
Cody

Post by Cody »

snork wrote:
to make planetfall ? sounds really strange to me.
It works for terrestrial ships - they 'make landfall', so I guess 'make planetfall' works fine for spaceships.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Here's my attempt at 5 and 6.
pagroove wrote:
# 5. Tiraor (172,176), {57,134,159,242,243} within 7.0 LY. Radius 4780 km.
Communist, Rich Ind. Pop. 4.1 B, Prod. 26240 MCr. HC: 5, TL: 10, Blue Fat Insects.
Tiraor is a revolting little planet.
The leadership of Tiraor have committed themselves to demonstrating the superiority of Commoonism through sporting prowess and millions of citizens train each day under the watchful eyes of the People's Coaches.
pagroove wrote:
# 6. Rabedira (69,249), {2,17,94,146,153,196} within 7.0 LY. Radius 3909 km.
Multi-Government, Average Ind. Pop. 3.6 B, Prod. 15552 MCr. HC: 6, TL: 9, Human Colonials.
The planet Rabedira is well known for its inhabitants' ancient loathing of sit coms but ravaged by dreadful civil war
The Rabediran loathing of sit coms dates back to the system's founding, when it was settled by refugees from Laeden. Unfortunately, shortly after landing, the refugees split into two over whether romantic or slapstick comedies should be viewed instead. The dreadful civil war continues today between the two governments, and visitors to the planet are advised to remain in the safer polar regions away from the militarised border.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

snork wrote:
me no native English speaker either. anyway : ....................................................
Comoonin - as in Moomin. 8)
Thank you. I will replace 'nature lovers' for tree huggers. Depends on what kind of nature one loves :wink:
About the Comoonin> I refer to the organization Comoonin so that stays see:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Powers ... e_Comoonin

I want to try to avoid overuse of the 'oo'. Except when an organization is named this way.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thank you CIM 5 and 6 will be in.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Proofread time again (last time for today)

"0 8" (Zaatxe)

Zaatxe is a rich corporate state in the Pulsar Worlds with an abundance of red sand. Zaatxerian sand is a so called ultraconductor and is used in computers. There are countless plants that convert the Zaatxerian sand into computer related products. Spacers seldom touch down on the surface due to the extreme sandstorms and the very dangerous fauna. The Zaatxeian deadly Ouenbeoid is a 30 meter long sandworm and the lethal spotted craboids are known for their fast and often deadly attacks and there are plenty of them.

"0 9" (Diusrezan)

This planet is mildly fabled for its inhabitants' eccentric love for tourists. The truth is that there is not a single good reason for a tourist to set foot on this planet. The feudal society is primitive and the simple industrial cities are filthy. The famous edible moth is very dangerous when driven into a corner but is almost everywhere. The insect is hunted by the Diusrezans for pest control and for food. Tasting a Mothburger is almost a mandatory evil at every party. The taste is reported as awful.

"0 10" (Teaatis)

Teaatis is mildly well known for Teaatisian vicious brew. The thick gaslike cloud cover of the planet produces droplets which are rich in acid. The droplets are captured by large screens under the cloud factories. The concentrated acid is mixed in the Teaatisian vicious brew and sold on the juice market for consumption by some insect and frog species. Humans are advised to drink something else.

"0 11" =Riinus

This planet is noted for its great canyons and the friendly desert grub.

"0 12" =Esbiza

Esbiza is famous for its legendary partyscene. Being a multi government world there are many cultural versions and styles. Clubs like Spacelight, Bananozia and Qwerty are famous for their 32/9 party scene.

"0 13" = Ontimaxe

This planet is reasonably famous for its inhabitants' exceptional love for food blenders. If you got a blender to sell. Sell it here. High performance models are on high demand especially Ice blenders. The surface of Ontimaxe is covered in Ice but the people are warm and fun.

"0 14" = Cebetela =

This world is most notable for its fabulous Cebetelaian lethal brandy but scourged by killer mountain Esbionoids. The Old register is right on this one.
If you got no reason to be here then stay away.

For planet numbers 15, 17, 19 and 20 I'm gonna ask you to provide a text so I can rest a little and in this way we can get different writing styles.

"0 15" ={description = "";};
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

pagroove wrote:
Zaatxe is a rich corporate state in the Pulsar Worlds with an abundance of red sand. Zaatxerian sand is a so-called ultraconductor and is used in computers. There are countless plants that convert the Zaatxerian sand into computer related products. Spacers seldom touch down on the surface due to the extreme sandstorms and the very dangerous fauna. The Zaatxeian deadly Ouenbeoid is a 30 meter long sandworm and the lethal spotted craboids, of which there are plenty, are known for their fast and often deadly attacks.
Slightly re-ordered the words in the last sentence to avoid too many 'and's in the same sentence.
pagroove wrote:
Teaatis is mildly well known for Teaatisian vicious brew. The thick gaslike cloud cover of the planet produces droplets which are rich in acid, which are captured by large screens under the cloud factories. The concentrated acid is mixed in the Teaatisian vicious brew and sold on the juice market for consumption by some insect and frog species. Humans are advised to drink something else.
pagroove wrote:
Esbiza is famous for its legendary party scene. Being a multi-government world there are many cultural versions and styles. Clubs like Spacelight, Bananozia and Qwerty are famous for their 32/9 party scene.
(space between "party" and "scene" in case it's not clear what's changed, and Oolite uses "multi-government" rather than "multi government")
pagroove wrote:
This planet is reasonably famous for its inhabitants' exceptional love for food blenders. If you got a blender to sell, sell it here. High performance models are on high demand especially Ice Blenders. The surface of Ontimaxe is covered in ice but the people are warm and fun.
pagroove wrote:
This world is most notable for its fabulous Cebetelaian lethal brandy but scourged by killer mountain Esbionoids. The old register is right on this one. If you've got no reason to be here then stay away.
Diusreza and Riinus read fine.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thanks implemented the changes.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Note: I did an advert for Qube - Coolgate, there's also an entry for it in snoopers:

Statistics to get your teeth into?: Coolgate, Qube's largest corporation, has published a report that indicates that users of its Forest Green Toothpaste are 28.3% less likely to die in the civil war than users of its nearest rival brand. Unsurprisingly, that rival, DynaSense has cried foul and has pointed out that it cannot afford to give away a free assault rifle with every ten packs of toothpaste sold.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here