Trumble mission

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

capnhack
Commander
Commander

Post by capnhack »

Jaybee wrote:
After seeing that screenshot I'm hoping that the mouse can be used as a laser blaster so we can shoot the damn things! The implementation of a 'popped' trumble would be very rewarding :twisted:
how about an option to buy a pest control system at high tech systems? it would consist of several live electric contacts at intervals along the sides of your cockpit. then, with a heavy enough infestation, you could play tetris with them and when a line of them completes contact between two of the electric terminals.. zap! :D

also, any chance of attaching them to the outside of rare food containers that are floating around in space? for example, you could destroy a crappy little dumpster of a ship and one of the containers could have a trimble (trumble, whatever theyre called now) on it. you pick it up with scoops, you get infested. i imagine this one would be harder because the graphic has to be locked to a certain point on the container model, but if it was so small that you only noticed it really close up then it shouldnt matter that much.
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

capnhack wrote:
trimble (trumble, whatever theyre called now)
Haha the parasite on the parasite! :twisted:
Team Zorg are Go!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

camnhack wrote:
also, any chance of attaching them to the outside of rare food containers..
or maybe not outside. if there was a freak chance of picking up a Trumble-infested cargo container, and it could be seen by a Trumble sticker on the side, you might see it in time to abort the scooping, but maybe not and have to go through the extermination ordeal..

or that might get in the way of the point of the original mission.
capnhack
Commander
Commander

Post by capnhack »

Murgh wrote:
or maybe not outside. if there was a freak chance of picking up a Trumble-infested cargo container, and it could be seen by a Trumble sticker on the side, you might see it in time to abort the scooping, but maybe not and have to go through the extermination ordeal..

or that might get in the way of the point of the original mission.
itd be so small that you could only see it once you were so close that you were about to scoop it tho. that way youd have to bash your hull into the container to avoid picking up the rodent.. things, which would leave you open to attack. kind of a catch-22 thing.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Maybe you could have the option to buy a trumble hunter creature like this one:

gus3
Average
Average

Post by gus3 »

A ship's cat perhaps? Going OT for a moment - is it possible to lose equipment in OOLite? I'm playing the windows alpha and haven't had anything blasted off me yet. I remember from the BBC original occasionally losing various bits of equipment and cargo when I took a pasting.

Perhaps when your ship's cat gets fried by being too close to the hull when your shields are down and you are being hit it could turn into 1 ton of furs - of course that's one big cat.
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

gus3 wrote:
A ship's cat perhaps? Going OT for a moment - is it possible to lose equipment in OOLite? I'm playing the windows alpha and haven't had anything blasted off me yet. I remember from the BBC original occasionally losing various bits of equipment and cargo when I took a pasting.

Perhaps when your ship's cat gets fried by being too close to the hull when your shields are down and you are being hit it could turn into 1 ton of furs - of course that's one big cat.
LOL the mental picture of the fattest cat in the galaxy sitting pretty in my Mk3's hull! Classic :D
Team Zorg are Go!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

whenever I'm offered a Trumble, there's a spinning demo of a ship next to it. I'm not sure this is part of a cunning plan (it's seems random) but wouldn't it be better if the image had a connection to the text?

something like this?

Rubinstein
Competent
Competent

Post by Rubinstein »

Brilliant, Murgh! Such an offer could even convince me to buy a trumble.
Hope you're not a vacuum cleaner representative and not living in my Neighbourhood! :twisted:
Dreams are the true masters of the world
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

gus3 wrote:
Ah, so you know my Dad's cat then?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Looks excellent ! Email me the picture and I'll see what I can do.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Beautiful, Murgh!

Makes me think a bit of the Gremlins 'cat in a bag' thing.
you buy it because it's so cute, but then...
Jaybee
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jaybee »

Murgh wrote:
whenever I'm offered a Trumble, there's a spinning demo of a ship next to it. I'm not sure this is part of a cunning plan (it's seems random) but wouldn't it be better if the image had a connection to the text?

something like this?

If I thought trumbles were worth having in my cargo hold, I'd advise that you put air holes in the box. Unless, of course, they breathe in another way?

Also, if they were in a box, how could they get out and multiply? By eating through the box? By escaping through the, as yet non-existent, air holes?

Yours pedantically, Jaybee

:D
Ad astra per aspera
Rubinstein
Competent
Competent

Post by Rubinstein »

Quite simple, they are in stasis and getting reanimated by opening the box. :roll:
We are talking about the future, don't we? Btw, we're not that far away from these things, when thinking of recent scientific experiments with animals who were kept in some sort of artificial death state and reanimated after several hours, w/o any damage.
Dreams are the true masters of the world
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Rubinstein wrote:
Btw, we're not that far away from these things, when thinking of recent scientific experiments with animals who were kept in some sort of artificial death state and reanimated after several hours, w/o any damage.
...Reminds me of some courses I follow. Except for the 'no damage done' part, that is... I tend to leave those errr... sessions with severe headaches :lol: