Material Test Suite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Material Test Suite

Post by CheeseRedux »

JensAyton wrote:
Failures are of interest.
I have a failure…

Finding myself with a tiny bit of unspent time, I've taken the 1.80 out for a few spins over the last week or so. All systems nominal, and the game is Better Than Ever™. (I especially like the OXZ manager. In the old days, keeping the AddOns folder up-to-date seemed to take up more time than the flying around, especially when coming off a hiatus.)

Anyway, I remembered this thing from before, and decided it would be a good idea to double-check my graphics. (I've previously played the game non-shadered without realizing, so I don't trust myself to recognize their absence.)

Problem is, it doesn't run. Is it incompatible with 1.80, or am I doing something incredibly silly?

Downloaded v1.3.oxz, and tossed it into Home/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns without doing anything to it. When that failed to produce the expected results, I tried unzipping and renaming the resulting folder […].oxp. Still no dice.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Problem is, it doesn't run. Is it incompatible with 1.80, or am I doing something incredibly silly?
[...]
Downloaded v1.3.oxz, and tossed it into Home/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns without doing anything to it. When that failed to produce the expected results, I tried unzipping and renaming the resulting folder […].oxp. Still no dice.
Can you be a bit more specific please? In what way exactly does it fail to produce results? FWIW, I just run the version currently in the repository and it seemed to be OK here.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

another_commander wrote:
Can you be a bit more specific please? In what way exactly does it fail to produce results?
I'm not sure I can. It simply does not run. At all. As in I see zero trace of it being installed.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Can you post the log file after running the game with a Shift-start?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Cheesy - good to see you again. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Code: Select all

Opening log for Oolite version 1.80 (x86-64) under Linux 3.13.0-24-generic at 2014-10-08 14:36:06 +0200.
4 processors detected.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

14:36:08.027 [display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1366 x 768
14:36:08.114 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
14:36:08.115 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.0.0 ("3.0 Mesa 10.1.0"). Vendor: "X.Org". Renderer: "Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA".
14:36:08.115 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (190):
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend, GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_NV_texture_barrier, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array, GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_ARB_shading_language_packing, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample, GL_ARB_sync, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_base_instance, GL_ARB_get_program_binary, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend, GL_AMD_shader_stencil_export, GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_KHR_debug, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_texture_swizzle, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, GL_ARB_timer_query, GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_ARB_debug_output, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_texture, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_transform_feedback2, GL_ARB_transform_feedback3, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_internalformat_query, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_ARB_texture_storage, GL_ARB_shader_stencil_export, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_texture_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack, GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode, GL_ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev, GL_ARB_robustness, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_AMD_conservative_depth, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_OES_EGL_image, GL_NV_vdpau_interop, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_AMD_shader_trinary_minmax, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_ARB_blend_func_extended, GL_OES_read_format, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment, GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_conservative_depth
14:36:08.448 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
14:36:09.688 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
14:36:09.706 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
    ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
    ~/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns
    AddOns
    ~/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.NavalGrid.oxz

[removed for brevity]

~/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.CaptMurphy.ShipStorageHelper.oxz
    AddOns/anarchies_facelift_0.5.oxp

[more brevity]

AddOns/griff_boa_prototype_normalmapped.oxp
    AddOns/material-test-suite-1.3.oxz
    AddOns/Anarchies2.8.oxp

[and even more more]

AddOns/interstellar_help.oxp
14:36:11.040 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
14:36:11.301 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse /home/shacklestein/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.ClymAngus.KirinSport.oxz/Config/shipdata.plist as a property list.
failed to parse as XML property list
14:36:13.760 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "FuelC-cob3-alternate" specifies non-existent model "cobra3_redux1.dat".
14:36:14.068 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "powerdown1" specifies non-existent model "cobra3_redux1.dat".
14:36:14.379 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "carriers-centerdeck" specifies non-existent model "carriers-centerdeck.dat".
14:36:14.688 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "IR-GSE-ad" specifies non-existent model "IR-gse-ad.dat".
14:36:14.998 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "grs_cobra3_redux1" specifies non-existent model "cobra3_redux1.dat".
14:36:15.628 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown]: ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "kirin-sport-player" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
14:36:18.349 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "carriers-centerdeck" specifies non-existent model "carriers-centerdeck.dat".
14:36:24.196 [script.javascript.init]: JavaScript reset successful.
14:36:26.233 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 18.29 seconds. ==========
14:36:33.329 [exit.context]: Exiting: Exit Game selected on start screen.
14:36:33.329 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2014-10-08 14:36:33 +0200.
Smivs wrote:
Hi Cheesy - good to see you again. :)
Likewise! It's nice to be back in the cockpit. Now, if only that pesky Real Life™ would stop interfering…
Last edited by CheeseRedux on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Dean C Engelhardt
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

OK, you seem to have exited the game on the rotating Cobra screen. The materials test starts after you've started a new commander though.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest going to Oolite's Tests github page and click the Download ZIP button. This should get you a copy of the sub-project, which includes the latest Material Test Suite.oxp. Install that one into AddOns in place of v1.3 and see if it helps.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

another_commander wrote:
OK, you seem to have exited the game on the rotating Cobra screen. The materials test starts after you've started a new commander though.

If this doesn;t work, I would suggest going to Oolite's Tests github page and click the Download ZIP button. This should get you a copy of the sub-project, which includes the latest Material Test Suite.oxp. Install that one into AddOns in place of v1.3 and see if it helps.
Yep, that's what I did just now. But using the Start New Commander option actually starts a new commander. I've gone through each and every menu option and sub-option, with the exception of starting in strict mode, and none of them do anything differently than without the test suite installed. Hang on one sec, and I'll get a log with a Virgin Flight Into Buoy.

Ah, that explains things…

14:58:42.188 [materialTest.error.consoleRequired]: The material test suite requires the debug console to be active.
Unless my memory is off, that used to be included in the 1.7x test releases. At least I cannot remember having had to do anything special to get the MTS to work before.
--Dean C Engelhardt
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

CheeseRedux wrote:
Ah, that explains things…

14:58:42.188 [materialTest.error.consoleRequired]: The material test suite requires the debug console to be active.
Actually you do not need the debug console running, you just need the test release version of the game. The error message is somewhat misleading in that regard.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

another_commander wrote:
Actually you do not need the debug console running, you just need the test release version of the game. The error message is somewhat misleading in that regard.
Right. Having never tried a parallel install before, will the test release live happily side-by-side with the stable without having to take any special precautions?
--Dean C Engelhardt
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

CheeseRedux wrote:
Right. Having never tried a parallel install before, will the test release live happily side-by-side with the stable without having to take any special precautions?
I am not sure about Linux, but on Windows I have only one installation of Oolite, with two executables in the oolite.app folder: Test Release and Deployment. That's basically it. I can run either configuration without problems like this and they both share the same AddOns/Resources folders. I would imagine the same to be valid for Linux but I'd rather have one of the Linux gurus confirm that, though.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

another_commander wrote:
I am not sure about Linux, but on Windows I have only one installation of Oolite, with two executables in the oolite.app folder: Test Release and Deployment. That's basically it. I can run either configuration without problems like this and they both share the same AddOns/Resources folders. I would imagine the same to be valid for Linux but I'd rather have one of the Linux gurus confirm that, though.
It looks like it does a complete replacement. Not that it matters, since the whole process is a 10-second affair. I can live with that whenever a need to switch back&forth should arise.

Thanks for your help; I'm all spinny-cubed up now.
--Dean C Engelhardt